• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Signings, Cuts, Trades

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Ill admit to not having a grasp of the cap and how a gargantuan deal like that might be structured. And if the team feels it can work financially then I guess I would be accepting of that. In all honesty I feel he benefits greatly from having Lamar and from the scheme. I started watching him recently, going back to Flacco in 2018 and he gets wrecked one on one vs. Chubb and then two Bengals rushers in the first quarter of two games Ive watched. I'll keep watching but in general Id say he benefits greatly that teams are contain conscious vs. Lamar.
Id also say that he is often left with the "easiest" of blocks to make in the run game compared to the other 4 lineman.

we run such a right-handed running game he definitely is often just left with the dregs on the backside of the play but idk that you could find a better scheme-fit LT for Lamar right now in the way their games suit each other...

with regards to the salary cap - 23m is not what it used to be in terms of % of cap obviously but guys like nate solder got deals with avg/yrs nearly 10% of the cap in the year they signed - i dont think it's unreasonable for Stanley's future deal to be worth the 11-12% it will likely cost (depending on what happens with the cap next year) but right now if he got 23m/yr and the salary cap is exactly the same as it is right now - he'd be taking up 11.5% of the cap which i dont think is unreasonable

Deebo813

Hall of Famer
there is no sure think in the draft, just prospects. That being said a top prospect like that won't make it down to where the Ravens are projected to pick.

And trading an entire draft class isn't only irresponsible, but it won't be enough.
I think saquan and deebo were sure players as far as being atleast solid. I know many people here even had nelson as a pro bowler before he even got drafted mfs were willing to give up anything for him on here..

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
I think saquan and deebo were sure players as far as being atleast solid. I know many people here even had nelson as a pro bowler before he even got drafted mfs were willing to give up anything for him on here..
you can say that, but there is still a transition period. Even Quinton Nelson had a transition period and as I've said, nothing is guaranteed. Injuries happen that can derail a career.

Deebo813

Hall of Famer
Then what on gods green earth is EDC waiting for as it pertains to negotiations? Is stanley asking for 25 million a year?

If that's the case, he can go elsewhere. He'll handicap another teams cap and give us a lot of cap and a nice 3rd round comp.
Im usually with you but idk man.. i say we resign stanley. In the next 3+ yrs. williams, earl will be off the books. Lamar, brown, andrews, hollywood will need a contract. Shortly after queen, dobbins if they pan out. I think we should resign him because we are in a good position to do so. Not only that, its much easier for lamar to elude pass rushers coming from the middle than it is coming from his blind side where he cant see.

Now if we could a player like lewan along with a 3rd rnd comp or good player in a trade that would be great, however thats probably not gonna happen

Charm City

Pro Bowler
The synergy in play style with Lamar and Stanley is getting overlooked. Having a mauler at LT makes no sense because Lamar's mo is his movement in the pocket. Having a big guy there would seriously limit his ability to do that because our LT would have to keep his feet moving as the edge moves to try and contain Lamar. Stanley's feet are his biggest positive and they are necessary for what Lamar wants to do.

allblackraven

Hall of Famer
I mean who are you going to pay if not top performing guy playing foundational position? when time comes, I want Zeus retained, as well.

Dom McRaven

Hall of Famer
When you have the best player in the NFL at ANY position you do not let that walk. I do not like paying RBs but christian mccaffrey is the best in the NFL so its worth it. The same with any of the top 3 WRs. If you are going to only get 6-10 big contracts to build the team around it might as well be players who are the best in the NFL at what they do.
He doesn't even have to be the top player in his position. Unless the player in question is more trouble than he's worth, you don't get rid of your quality players unless you simply don't have the cap space to retain him (i.e. Mosley, C.J.).

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Im usually with you but idk man.. i say we resign stanley. In the next 3+ yrs. williams, earl will be off the books. Lamar, brown, andrews, hollywood will need a contract. Shortly after queen, dobbins if they pan out. I think we should resign him because we are in a good position to do so. Not only that, its much easier for lamar to elude pass rushers coming from the middle than it is coming from his blind side where he cant see.

Now if we could a player like lewan along with a 3rd rnd comp or good player in a trade that would be great, however thats probably not gonna happen
fyi, we won't have a 3rd round comp next year. Williams will be off the books next year and I'd say we have two years of ET left.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
I mean who are you going to pay if not top performing guy playing foundational position? when time comes, I want Zeus retained, as well.
Yeah, I would like Zeus retained as well, but I wouldn't be surprised if we aren't in position to sign him and end up going the draft route.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
Yeah, I would like Zeus retained as well, but I wouldn't be surprised if we aren't in position to sign him and end up going the draft route.
I don’t see that happening, I think he’s just gonna prove to be too much of a cornerstone. Unless a Tyre Phillips outperforms his ceiling by a mile and can handle RT I just don’t see it happening.

this isn’t the early 2000s and 90s where you pay the LT and say fuck the rest, defenses line their best rushers up on the right side purposely to avoid the best blocker, you need a great pair of bookends for any great offense, and this offense in particular also needs a mammoth of a man to make space in either direction

Deebo813

Hall of Famer
you can say that, but there is still a transition period. Even Quinton Nelson had a transition period and as I've said, nothing is guaranteed. Injuries happen that can derail a career.
Yea youre 100% correct. My boy just asked me the other day how tf i knew lamar would be better than darnold and josh allen and i simply told him because i figured lamars game would transition
fyi, we won't have a 3rd round comp next year. Williams will be off the books next year and I'd say we have two years of ET left.
yea i know i was just saying in general and that in 3yrs lots of offseason decisions will start to get made

Deebo813

Hall of Famer
I don’t see that happening, I think he’s just gonna prove to be too much of a cornerstone. Unless a Tyre Phillips outperforms his ceiling by a mile and can handle RT I just don’t see it happening.

this isn’t the early 2000s and 90s where you pay the LT and say fuck the rest, defenses line their best rushers up on the right side purposely to avoid the best blocker, you need a great pair of bookends for any great offense, and this offense in particular also needs a mammoth of a man to make space in either direction
Do you think brown will continue to grow without th help of yanda? its like everyone thats either at C or RT just played so well next to him. He def made our center and right tackles job easier in the past.

I remember when people wanted skura legit off the team lol then next thing you know he looks great.. people also talked bad about brown and how they didnt want him and all that (mainly cause of combine ) but soon as he gets here, he looks great. Maybe yanda helped, maybe those guys are just pretty good idk..

allblackraven

Hall of Famer
Do you think brown will continue to grow without th help of yanda? its like everyone thats either at C or RT just played so well next to him. He def made our center and right tackles job easier in the past.

I remember when people wanted skura legit off the team lol then next thing you know he looks great.. people also talked bad about brown and how they didnt want him and all that (mainly cause of combine ) but soon as he gets here, he looks great. Maybe yanda helped, maybe those guys are just pretty good idk..
It's definitely easier for guys to pick stuff up when Yanda is on their shoulder but it wouldn't matter much if they aren't good enough to begin with. O line coaching is really good in Baltimore, I reckon we'll be fine.

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
I'll see how this pans out before I make assumptions.
Yet ironically, almost every post you've made on this topic is an assumption.
You've assumed you know what price range he's asking for.
You've assumed that you know who the best LT in next years draft is.
You've assumed that the Ravens having more cap space would mean that they'd actually use it wisely and sign good players.

Sami84

Ravens Ring of Honor
Yet ironically, almost every post you've made on this topic is an assumption.
You've assumed you know what price range he's asking for.
You've assumed that you know who the best LT in next years draft is.
You've assumed that the Ravens having more cap space would mean that they'd actually use it wisely and sign good players.

Yes, if they are WHAT i presume then it stands. I trust EDC to recognise value/talent.

Look, Eye test doesn't tell me that stanley is an elite tackle. he's a very good one. I don't see the dominance that I saw with Ogden, Walter Jones, Orlando Pace and in later years, Trent Williams, Jason Peters etc. WHen i watch stanley I dont see that tackle who is SO SO SO good that you allocate almost 15% of your entire cap space to him.

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
Yes, if they are WHAT i presume then it stands. I trust EDC to recognise value/talent.

Look, Eye test doesn't tell me that stanley is an elite tackle. he's a very good one. I don't see the dominance that I saw with Ogden, Walter Jones, Orlando Pace and in later years, Trent Williams, Jason Peters etc. WHen i watch stanley I dont see that tackle who is SO SO SO good that you allocate almost 15% of your entire cap space to him.
Well that would be the problem with the "eye test". Most people's eyes suck and they don't even know what they're looking at to begin with.

Whether or not he's an elite tackle or how he compares to people who aren't his peers isn't really of relevance to me (and most certainly not to the Ravens). You don't really have any other "elite" players on your roster that I'd be allocating that money to. Orlando Brown isn't an all-time great RT. Mark Andrews isn't an all-time great TE. The closest player we have to even being in the discussion of all-time greats is Earl Thomas, and he's in the twilight of his career. And you are almost never going to get an "elite" player in FA either.

That's why this argument fails. If you're not willing to pay market value for most of the players that played well for you when they were playing for fractions of market value for years, then you might as well just close up shop. There aren't any models of successful NFL franchises that think this way, including the Patriots, who routinely paid market value to at least a handful of their own guys.

Having an abundance of cap space to spend on FAs who are a coin flip to living up to those contracts is not a model that successful NFL franchises use. Its more of a model fanboys use to try to win March instead of winning February.

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor

Also, I'd point out that this post is a textbook reason of why the "eye test" isn't taken seriously. You'd like be in the minority of people who wouldn't put Stanley in the same class as Trent Williams.

Sami84

Ravens Ring of Honor
Also, I'd point out that this post is a textbook reason of why the "eye test" isn't taken seriously. You'd like be in the minority of people who wouldn't put Stanley in the same class as Trent Williams.

I have stanley in the same class as Costanzo, Tunsil, Lewan,. Probably at the top of the class of this tier. He is not prime trent williams, jason peters, Tyrone Smith, Bakhtari and he is certainly not in the same stratosphere as Ogden, Boselli, Jones, Pace, Wille Roaf, Joe Thomas etc

ronnie is in the same all time class as

Jordan Gross
Da'Brickashaw Ferguson
Matt Light

You don't give up 15% of your entire cap for 53 players to 1 guy unless he's just such a difference maker you have no choice.

Sami84

Ravens Ring of Honor
NOW. if this were a young Marshal Yanda we were talking about here id say break the bank....he's worth it