• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Signings, Cuts, Trades

Simba

Staff Member
I think Judon is a good player, albeit quite inconsistent. With that being said, we're in a real tough position at edge. We have to pay someone. It sucks that it's likely going to be an overpay, but we're so weak there that we're in a bind. Now, if you do pay someone, I guess I'd just rather it be Judon. Go with the familiarity and the guy that plays in nearly ever facet of the D. I'm interested in guys like Ngakoue, Golden, etc. but I don't see anything that puts them firmly above Judon, in my opinion. If Judon makes it to the market and signs elsewhere, I'd absolutely be looking to one of the other guys. Right now? I don't see any reason not to pursue Judon.

I know all of this is the opposite way you should do FA, but our pass rush is completely lacking and I'd be shocked if that's not where the big money is spent, Judon or someone else.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Mahomes is finishing his 3rd year and can be extended this year, but he does have two more years of reasonable contracts remaining, including the 5th year option.

QBs seem to be getting paid after year 3 now - mostly so that 1) they dont get even a sniff of free agency and end up doing a kirk cousins 2) because its the first year qbs can be paid for their value relative to the rookie deal

i fully expect mahomes to get done this offseason (or at least significant efforts be made to hash out a long-term deal) and the offseason after that will be Lamar's go

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I think Judon is a good player, albeit quite inconsistent. With that being said, we're in a real tough position at edge. We have to pay someone. It sucks that it's likely going to be an overpay, but we're so weak there that we're in a bind. Now, if you do pay someone, I guess I'd just rather it be Judon. Go with the familiarity and the guy that plays in nearly ever facet of the D. I'm interested in guys like Ngakoue, Golden, etc. but I don't see anything that puts them firmly above Judon, in my opinion. If Judon makes it to the market and signs elsewhere, I'd absolutely be looking to one of the other guys. Right now? I don't see any reason not to pursue Judon.

I know all of this is the opposite way you should do FA, but our pass rush is completely lacking and I'd be shocked if that's not where the big money is spent, Judon or someone else.

an even bigger problem here is that the EDGE draft class is so weak too so the option to get a young guy on a rookie deal to go along with everything else makes it even more difficult to resolve those edge issues

Sandtown

Pro Bowler
I don't buy the "the guy opposite him was poor" argument. We blitz >50% of the time which leaves him 1v1 on a lot of occasions. From what I remember in the SF game he was getting manhandled on the edge by kittle and getting moved off the edge allowing mostert to get plenty of yards on his outside runs. I'm by no means saying he is a poor player, he's just not a $15 M+/year.

And most of his sacks last year came against poor teams. Iirc he only had 2.5 sacks against playoff teams

Sack numbers are really overrated at times. I would love to know how often Matt Judon simply pressured the quarterback . Jadeveon Clowney only had 3 sacks last year and of most his sacks were against poor teams and one play off team so the sacks numbers is not a true indicator on how good Judon was. I think Judon step up last year but it's obvious he's not a elite pass rusher but at the same time you still got to have more than one good pass rusher on the team.Tyus Bowser definitely had a career year sack wise which is good but the sack numbers don't tell you how consistently good he was as a pass rusher.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
QBs seem to be getting paid after year 3 now - mostly so that 1) they dont get even a sniff of free agency and end up doing a kirk cousins 2) because its the first year qbs can be paid for their value relative to the rookie deal

i fully expect mahomes to get done this offseason (or at least significant efforts be made to hash out a long-term deal) and the offseason after that will be Lamar's go
this is correct and what I expect. However the new deal may not start until the end of next season, even though the extension would be happening now.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Sack numbers are really overrated at times. I would love to know how often Matt Judon simply pressured the quarterback . Jadeveon Clowney only had 3 sacks last year and of most his sacks were against poor teams and one play off team so the sacks numbers is not a true indicator on how good Judon was. I think Judon step up last year but it's obvious he's not a elite pass rusher but at the same time you still got to have more than one good pass rusher on the team.Tyus Bowser definitely had a career year sack wise which is good but the sack numbers don't tell you how consistently good he was as a pass rusher.
Judon had 63 pressures of which 35 were unblocked or cleanup pressures. You also have to consider we blitzed 55% of the time, way more than any other team.

Davesta

Ravens Ring of Honor

The whole reason why we traded back into the first was for that 5th year tag though. I bet the rams regret paying Goff early when they didn’t have to.

allblackraven

Hall of Famer

If we are serious, we should sign Judon and one other proven pass rusher on the edge or in the middle. Use high(ish) draft picks (day 1 and 2, depending how board falls) for one in each of those positions, too.

JAAM

Hall of Famer
Please god, have another team overpay for Judon like the Packers did for ZDS. It’s time to move on.

Simba

Staff Member
If we are serious, we should sign Judon and one other proven pass rusher on the edge or in the middle. Use high(ish) draft picks (day 1 and 2, depending how board falls) for one in each of those positions, too.

Agreed. If I can afford 2 good at minimum players in FA, I'm devoting both to the pass rush - whether that be OLB/DE or an interior DL. I'll take my chances on filling the rest (WR, OL, ILB, DB) via cheaper FAs or the draft if I have to.

Simba

Staff Member
And in regards to the Judon vs. everyone else debate, it's not like Khalil Mack is sitting out there on the FA market. Guys like that don't make it to FA. Everyone available is going to have his flaws and all of them are likely to be overpaid in some capacity. I highly doubt we're getting some bonafide option if we bypass Judon for someone else. I'm typically all about patience, but when it comes to pass rush, you do what you gotta do.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Agreed. If I can afford 2 good at minimum players in FA, I'm devoting both to the pass rush - whether that be OLB/DE or an interior DL. I'll take my chances on filling the rest (WR, OL, ILB, DB) via cheaper FAs or the draft if I have to.

this year definitely that's what you have to do - DL and EDGE classes both fall of a cliff in this draft class - not a huge amount of talent and it falls off quick

Grim

Ravens Ring of Honor
I really think all the good players will get resigned.. clowney, armstead and jones are all gonna get resigned. I say armstead has the best chance of walking. Unless we can make a trade, we have no choice but to sign judon imo.
I think Armstead walks and I’d be surprised if Jones isn’t retained. That said, anything can happen I guess.
they gotta pay mahomes what will be an astronomical amount. Jones might not be able to be kept.
That’s true but they have a little time to pay him, like a year or two.
We can always just tag him and wait till next year. I would not give him a long term deal more than 4y/50mil, which he is almost certain to exceed on the open market.
I don’t think that’s realistic for Judon. We don’t tag guys without intending to work out a long term deal. That’s how you piss off players.
Yes, Judon on the open market is going to exceed 4yr/$50M ... by a LOT. That is not the figure the Ravens have set in their minds that they are willing to pay, or they wouldn't have bothered to tell us that they are interested in retaining him.

Franchise tag will be over $16M. If you think he's only worth 4yr/$50M, do you think he's worth franchising for $16M? I don't see us franchise tagging him unless we're willing to give a good faith effort in signing him long-term.
Exactly, we won’t tag Judon and we wouldn’t have said we wanted to keep him if we thought he’d go. We said we’d try to keep Smith but acknowledged he’d be a bit pricey. I think we’re kinda honest in that regard.
All we know is we have to fix our pass rush and edge setting. Obviously our current players weren't able to do so.
Extending Judon isn't going to improve it and even less if we ultimately have to pay him above fair value.
I really hope Calais gets released.
I think extending Judon is fine but he can’t be the only guy. We need a lot more than just him. Calais would be great but I’ve read they’re more likely to cut Dareus and keep Calais. We will see though.
Mahomes is finishing his 3rd year and can be extended this year, but he does have two more years of reasonable contracts remaining, including the 5th year option.
Yeah, I see them using the two years maybe giving him a ton of guaranteed money too.
getting Golden would be nice, but the Giants have plenty of cap space and can make more if needed. Not sure he will be available. I've always liked Golden.
Great point, we’ll see if they let him walk or not. They also have Leonard Williams as well to decide if they want to keep. They probably release some other guys too so a lot could happen there.

That’s true on edge, and it really depends on who is there. I also don’t want to get married to someone you don’t love just because that’s our only chance at marriage either. I’d rather still sign edge defenders like McPhee and Ward and use the money elsewhere like to improve our OL or fill other needs we have.
an even bigger problem here is that the EDGE draft class is so weak too so the option to get a young guy on a rookie deal to go along with everything else makes it even more difficult to resolve those edge issues
Edge is weak in FA & draft, and our best option may be to trade for someone but I don’t know who. Maybe the Chargers would trade Ingram to us, I don’t know.
That’s true and we need an edge guy and an interior pass rusher. That’s the bottom line true honestly. Ideally we sign an edge guy and interior rusher and use the draft to take whatever falls to us. I think we should look at WR in FA as well to further improve the offense. I’d love to sign a guy like AJ Green but he’s had too many injuries.
And in regards to the Judon vs. everyone else debate, it's not like Khalil Mack is sitting out there on the FA market. Guys like that don't make it to FA. Everyone available is going to have his flaws and all of them are likely to be overpaid in some capacity. I highly doubt we're getting some bonafide option if we bypass Judon for someone else. I'm typically all about patience, but when it comes to pass rush, you do what you gotta do.
Absolutely, no Khalil Mack out there. Clowney is a good run defender but I think he’s overrated as a pass rusher. He’d be a great guy opposite Judon but he has legit health issues.
this year definitely that's what you have to do - DL and EDGE classes both fall of a cliff in this draft class - not a huge amount of talent and it falls off quick
Absolutely. I do like some guys like Weaver and Chaisson but a big weak class here in edge.