• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Signings, Cuts, Trades

ndub

Ravens Ring of Honor
At this point I'd actually take Sammy. I wasn't interested whatsoever around the value I thought he'd get originally, but now that we see how dead the WR market is, I'm okay with him at the right price.

I'd be down to give him a half season contract. He's only ever good for 4-5 games a year anyway

At this point I'd actually take Sammy. I wasn't interested whatsoever around the value I thought he'd get originally, but now that we see how dead the WR market is, I'm okay with him at the right price.
Agree with this - I didn't want him, but if the market is depressed and he comes cheap then why not. He'd automatically be our 2nd best receiver - probably even on his bad days.

ndub

Ravens Ring of Honor
Agree with this - I didn't want him, but if the market is depressed and he comes cheap then why not. He'd automatically be our 2nd best receiver - probably even on his bad days.

Sure, for about 5 games! For 5 games we'll have a semi-average WR corps

Simba

Staff Member

I’m not sure he’d cost more than $3M at this point. I’d do that. Add a few incentives like games played and stuff like that and see if you can get the most out of him. He’s definitely got some huge flaws but at least he can take over like 1 game a year lol

ndub

Ravens Ring of Honor
I’m not sure he’d cost more than $3M at this point. I’d do that. Add a few incentives like games played and stuff like that and see if you can get the most out of him. He’s definitely got some huge flaws but at least he can take over like 1 game a year lol

It would be worth it to only play him for the playoffs.

ndub

Ravens Ring of Honor
Someone brought up earlier that JuJu would've been the signing ET when Mosely walked desperation move... no folks, this one would be the desperation move. Hate Watkins. I wouldn't sign him because we're getting, at most, 5 mediocre games out of him. When he does play, it's not like he's lighting it up, and that was with a wide open offense with Reid and Mahomes in it, along with Tyreek/Kelce taking coverage away from him. I absolutely hate this.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
I’m less worried, just because sometimes I forget who our gm is. But really I wasn’t “worried” before, just a shitty feeling when every option falls through and now you’re left scrambling like wtf do we do? But i just know that we aren’t going into next season with this wr corps, and there’s no way Eric uses a 100 year old bandaid the way Ozzie did, that’s just not like him.

ndub

Ravens Ring of Honor
I’m less worried, just because sometimes I forget who our gm is. But really I wasn’t “worried” before, just a shitty feeling when every option falls through and now you’re left scrambling like wtf do we do? But i just know that we aren’t going into next season with this wr corps, and there’s no way Eric uses a 100 year old bandaid the way Ozzie did, that’s just not like him.

I'd rather the 100 year old bandaid who could give us a full 16 games over a guy who is 27 and only gives 4-5 mediocre, same level of talent games

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
I'd rather the 100 year old bandaid who could give us a full 16 games over a guy who is 27 and only gives 4-5 mediocre, same level of talent games
Name a receiver on this team who could do in 16 games what Watkins could do in that 4-5.

literally not one receiver outside of Hollywood could put up 4-5 games worth of Sammy Watkins production in an entire season, that is how bad our wr corps is, which makes Watkins an immediate upgrade and he would come VERY cheap.

the key is don’t make Watkins your savior and make a major play at wr in the draft OR make a play to trade for one or sign a cut after other teams draft WRs, and at this point it’s by any means.

ndub

Ravens Ring of Honor
Name a receiver on this team who could do in 16 games what Watkins could do in that 4-5.

literally not one receiver outside of Hollywood could put up 4-5 games worth of Sammy Watkins production in an entire season, that is how bad our wr corps is, which makes Watkins an immediate upgrade and he would come VERY cheap.

the key is don’t make Watkins your savior and make a major play at wr in the draft OR make a play to trade for one or sign a cut after other teams draft WRs, and at this point it’s by any means.

That's not really the point lol.... bring in another guy who does just slightly better in 4 games what our guys already do... when that money could be used elsewhere. Real smart.

BoredMarine13

Ravens Ring of Honor

I’d rather let Watkins sign else where. Draft a couple guys high and throw them in the fire. Douv is a must start so we know what we’ve got in him, if we sign Watkins it’s just taking snaps away

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ndub

Ravens Ring of Honor
I’d rather let Watkins sign else where. Draft a couple guys high and throw them in the fire. Douv is a must start so we know what we’ve got in him, if we sign Watkins it’s just taking snaps away

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Someone brought up earlier that JuJu would've been the signing ET when Mosely walked desperation move... no folks, this one would be the desperation move. Hate Watkins. I wouldn't sign him because we're getting, at most, 5 mediocre games out of him. When he does play, it's not like he's lighting it up, and that was with a wide open offense with Reid and Mahomes in it, along with Tyreek/Kelce taking coverage away from him. I absolutely hate this.

idk about that - think you're under-selling watkins - he's a high-level WR3 with the potential to take games over - and most importantly he can function well as an outside receiver as a true "x" receiver - beats press and wins vs man coverage

he's not going to draw a ton of extra attention and he gets maligned because he hasn't turned into the superstar that his draft stock suggested he would be - but he's a perfectly good WR and would be a great addition if we did bring him in

Hollywood - Watkins - Duvernay looks a lot better than Hollywood - Duvernay - Boykin

if you bring in watkins and manage to draft a rookie then suddenly this WR corps has some energy to it

obviously the lack of availability is frustrating but there's a reason he's hitting the market

rossihunter2

Staff Member

100% this ^^^

you don't pay him to be the saviour, and you also don't expect him to be the magical fix-it

but he's part of the solution if you bring him in - you bring him in and then you finish the job in the draft

ndub

Ravens Ring of Honor
idk about that - think you're under-selling watkins - he's a high-level WR3 with the potential to take games over - and most importantly he can function well as an outside receiver as a true "x" receiver - beats press and wins vs man coverage

he's not going to draw a ton of extra attention and he gets maligned because he hasn't turned into the superstar that his draft stock suggested he would be - but he's a perfectly good WR and would be a great addition if we did bring him in

Hollywood - Watkins - Duvernay looks a lot better than Hollywood - Duvernay - Boykin

if you bring in watkins and manage to draft a rookie then suddenly this WR corps has some energy to it

obviously the lack of availability is frustrating but there's a reason he's hitting the market

He routinely plays less than half a season. He never produced well, let alone “took over a game” in the most explosive passing offense in the NFL with Mahomes/Reid, and Tyreek/Kelce taking coverage away from him. That is not a good WR. No thanks

rossihunter2

Staff Member
That's not really the point lol.... bring in another guy who does just slightly better in 4 games what our guys already do... when that money could be used elsewhere. Real smart.

you're really going to town on this 4 games thing...

he's only played less than 10 games once in his career... and even then he still played half the year

yes it's true you can rely on him missing some time... but we're talking a few games rather than most of the season

ndub

Ravens Ring of Honor
100% this ^^^

you don't pay him to be the saviour, and you also don't expect him to be the magical fix-it

but he's part of the solution if you bring him in - you bring him in and then you finish the job in the draft

If you can’t produce in an offense with Mahomes as QB and Tyreek/Kelce taking coverage away, you aren’t a piece of a solution