• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Signings, Cuts, Trades

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
Agree. They'll compete with many teams on offense, but they will live or die based on how good their defense is.
Having an extremely run heavy offense and a defense that can’t stop most offenses is not a recipe for success.

their receiver talent and Derrick Henry should keep them in a lot of games and make a lot of games winnable, but I think they’re gonna struggle to finish, arthur smith was not only brilliant for them, but he was EXTRA brilliant situationally.

JAAM

Hall of Famer

Is he going to be our starter when he’s fully healthy? Is Ale a one year rental? I’m a bit confused by this signing… was James a fantastic RT when healthy?

JAAM

Hall of Famer
PIcked up Ja'Wuan James. I'll take this and Gus over Julio. Now we just need Houston.
Yea I really hope we sign Houston ASAP

redrum52

Hall of Famer
And I get it... I know he's not playing this year, but who thought that Villanueva was more than a 1 year deal anyway? Could set us for RT while he can rehab and learn our offense this year.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Exactly. Of course with Carr, and this is an honest question, did he ever have much help at the skill positions either?
I can't remember, but this, I believe, was the Houston Texans first season and he was sacked over 70 times. He was shell shocked from the start.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
And I get it... I know he's not playing this year, but who thought that Villanueva was more than a 1 year deal anyway? Could set us for RT while he can rehab and learn our offense this year.
I had a feeling it would be a two year deal just for cap purposes.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
I’m surprised we did this, love the move, but I am surprised. Gus edwards might be one of the most underrated backs in the league.
absolutely love this move as well and I'm curious to see the structure of the contract. The bonus money will probably be paid out over three seasons.

rossihunter2

Staff Member

Is he going to be our starter when he’s fully healthy? Is Ale a one year rental? I’m a bit confused by this signing… was James a fantastic RT when healthy?

lol this is a great deal - it's possible he's back at the end of the year but this looks like he's being signed for an absolute bargain with the expectation he may well be the RT in 2022

if he's back this year and plays snaps then great we have a quality lineman playing for 500k...
if he's not then we've got a high quality tackle on the right side for a 10m flyer in 2022...

this deal came out of nowhere but im happy about it lol
and it's certainly possible he could factor late in the season or in the playoffs

looks like basically we've set up a scenario where it'll be juwuan james vs villanueva next year for RT and they're basically going to compete for that job for basically the same cap cost

redrum52

Hall of Famer
lol this is a great deal - it's possible he's back at the end of the year but this looks like he's being signed for an absolute bargain with the expectation he may well be the RT in 2022

if he's back this year and plays snaps then great we have a quality lineman playing for 500k...
if he's not then we've got a high quality tackle on the right side for a 10m flyer in 2022...

and it's certainly possible he could factor late in the season or in the playoffs

looks like basically we've set up a scenario where it'll be juwuan james vs villanueva next year for RT and they're basically going to compete for that job for basically the same cap cost

Na... the Chiefs robbed us. EDC is an idiot.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator

what are we paying him this year. Do we know the structure of the deal, since he won't be available this season or atleast most of the season.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
What a brilliant move. Think this cements tyre Phillips as a guard first and swing man in case of emergency only. James is a solid starting RT, if he is able to return healthy next season then I’m not even sure it’s a downgrade from Orlando, lateral move that cost us basically nothing now and a really good starting RT figure next year.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
To put it simply, Eric decosta is playing 4D chess.

Flipped a 2018 third round OT for multiple pro bowl seasons and a trade up from late second to late first and multiple picks across days 2/3. Didn’t panic to find a replacement, found a one year stop gap, and a future starter beyond that, didn’t panic in the wr market, instead signed A former top ten pick for a very affordable deal, and landed rashod Bateman and then tylan Wallace in the fourth.

Eric decostas ability to be patient and find great talents for low cost while everyone else empties their pockets to pounce on the only available names, is insane. Yet at the same time, when shit is getting real, he’ll be aggressive af in getting that one last player to round out the squad. I imagine he’s gonna pull a rabbit out his ass for a pass rusher at some point. Might not even be til the season starts.

cdp

Ravens Ring of Honor
Edc is making the right moves, but for me it will ultimately come down to Lamar's contract.