• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Signings, Cuts, Trades

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
No one gave a shit when we drafted Keenan Reynolds and I’d argue he was much more of a “fuck it” pick than Mason. Of course 6th round vs 5th round but draft classes still weren’t comparable either.
Keenan Reynolds was a project. Mason was a FB. One guy was intriguing and the other we didn’t give a shit about lol

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Clearly no one else had Washington rated that highly either. Not saying that was right because it clearly wasn’t. But he obviously didn’t meet the size requirements for all 32 teams.

size and testing - there's a reason why he was highly sought after as a udfa

happens every year normally at RB where good runners dont get drafted because the testing and college tape athleticism says they wont get chunk yardage but you still find successful udfa runners every year

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
Clearly no one else had Washington rated that highly either. Not saying that was right because it clearly wasn’t. But he obviously didn’t meet the size requirements for all 32 teams.
And all I’m saying is that we valued him enough to make him the highest paid rookie FA, so clearly there was still interest out there. Why not just secure the player you clearly saw as a priority prospect and not literally throw away a draft pick because your mom said she liked the player.

Simba

Staff Member
And all I’m saying is that we valued him enough to make him the highest paid rookie FA, so clearly there was still interest out there. Why not just secure the player you clearly saw as a priority prospect and not literally throw away a draft pick because your mom said she liked the player.

I mean they probably knew he’d go undrafted honestly. If they liked him that much they would have picked him. Probably had word that someone was targeting Mason but figured Washington would make it.

ravenslord

Ravens Ring of Honor
probably sammy and hollywood with some proche at slot, some duvernay at z and a little bit of wallace at x (albeit probably mainly on running downs)

we'll likely see sammy and hollywood play at all 3 receiver spots and also a fair amount of 2 TE receiving sets too with andrews and oliver
I honestly think Wallace is the X factor. I really like what I see from him and think , like NFL analysts said, could be a steal with where we drafted him.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
I mean they probably knew he’d go undrafted honestly. If they liked him that much they would have picked him. Probably had word that someone was targeting Mason but figured Washington would make it.
He is a shitty fb, who cares if another team picks him lmao, that’s my point.

Simba

Staff Member
He is a shitty fb, who cares if another team picks him lmao, that’s my point.

Of course we'll never know but I'd be willing to bet that we only had a handful of draftable guys left, and probably with like 7th round grades. Went "BPA" at a position that we hadn't already hit since we already doubled up a few times. Shaun Wade was probably the same honestly. I have my doubts they had a high grade on him.

Simba

Staff Member
A punter and kicker on the practice squad? Interesting. Do we usually do this?

They could either be (a) temporary additions until we can get some outside guys in or (b) taking the covid risk more seriously this year and don't want to go into a game without a guy at either spot.

ravenslord

Ravens Ring of Honor
They could either be (a) temporary additions until we can get some outside guys in or (b) taking the covid risk more seriously this year and don't want to go into a game without a guy at either spot.
Yeah Im figuring the Covid risk. If your punter or kicker get knocked out with a Covid positive test result , that's a major problem.

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
Yeah Im figuring the Covid risk. If your punter or kicker get knocked out with a Covid positive test result , that's a major problem.
I don't view it as that risky. Last year, when nobody was vaccinated, sure. Assuming they're both vaccinated, I don't think the risk is that much greater than one of them getting injured.

Most teams just sign somebody off the FA pool. I can't say that the PS is so valuable that they can't have a P/K on it, but they certainly don't have to.

Simba

Staff Member
I don't view it as that risky. Last year, when nobody was vaccinated, sure. Assuming they're both vaccinated, I don't think the risk is that much greater than one of them getting injured.

Most teams just sign somebody off the FA pool. I can't say that the PS is so valuable that they can't have a P/K on it, but they certainly don't have to.

I was surprised they didn't do it last year with things being much more stringent. But you could also say that rules have been relaxed to an extent and with vaccinated people still testing positive, the risk is still there.

Of course, this assumes that the guys are there for risk reasons and NOT just because they were still in town and in protocols while they await other guys flying in to sign.

rossihunter2

Staff Member

it may well be injury related too

because everyone still has to do their intake testing before they can practice and/or play so having guys who can go who you dont have to wait on their availability for testing reasons makes sense to me - doesnt specifically have to be covid that the guy on the roster goes down with

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
He seems like he's a good personality fit to be some meathead coach's golden boy. Wouldn't be surprised to see him in Detroit or Tennessee by the end of the week.
Good point, harbaugh is a sucker for the “sneaky athletic, gym rat, brings his lunch pail to work” kinda guy. But if that’s the case why tf did we cut John Simon back in the day

jboy19

Pro Bowler
Good point, harbaugh is a sucker for the “sneaky athletic, gym rat, brings his lunch pail to work” kinda guy. But if that’s the case why tf did we cut John Simon back in the day

I actually think about John Simon a lot tbh. We were deep at pass rusher that year (Suggs, Dumervil, Upshaw, McPhee), but they really could/should have gotten some value for dealing him. Even when he was available and the team needed a pass rusher, they never seemed to show any interest in bringing him back. Maybe he said something bad about Michigan?