• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Signings, Cuts, Trades

jboy19

Pro Bowler
Nothing formally announced yet. Sounds like they don’t have practice until tomorrow AM so there’s not necessarily a rush today.

I'm curious if they risk having just two RBs for week 1 so that whatever player they sign doesn't have a fully guaranteed salary.

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
I'm curious if they risk having just two RBs for week 1 so that whatever player they sign doesn't have a fully guaranteed salary.
I would imagine for week 1 they wouldn't be signing a "name" veteran. Likely somebody to be on the PS for most of the year and then bring them up to the 53.

Simba

Staff Member

Im in the sign someone to the PS camp and elevate them for week 1. Don’t want to commit a guaranteed salary to a veteran, especially one of these over the hill guys.

jboy19

Pro Bowler
Im in the sign someone to the PS camp and elevate them for week 1. Don’t want to commit a guaranteed salary to a veteran, especially one of these over the hill guys.

I am personally going to be disappointed if they bring in an over the hill vet. I feel there are a couple quality young RBs on other teams' practice squads that are in shape, ascending talents that are worth taking a shot at.

Simba

Staff Member
I am personally going to be disappointed if they bring in an over the hill vet. I feel there are a couple quality young RBs on other teams' practice squads that are in shape, ascending talents that are worth taking a shot at.

Hell id rather rotate guys on and off of the roster all year if we have to. It’s a 3rd RB. He’s likely only playing offensive snaps in emergency or blowout situations. Find a guy that can contribute on STs and let em rip. We’re a RB friendly offense as well.

ravenslord

Ravens Ring of Honor
Hell id rather rotate guys on and off of the roster all year if we have to. It’s a 3rd RB. He’s likely only playing offensive snaps in emergency or blowout situations. Find a guy that can contribute on STs and let em rip. We’re a RB friendly offense as well.
Yeah I agree on this one.

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
Agreed. My hesitancy in bringing on these "name" players is that I think people are assuming they'll actually play as a RB.
At the moment, the most important thing we should be looking for in a RB we sign is that they can contribute on ST and not fall flat on their face if asked to carry the ball.

Maybe I'm cynical, but I sincerely doubt LeVeon Bell is going to sign here and be content with playing ST and getting a token carry or two every game, because that's what the role currently is. The guy wasn't happy with his usage in KC last year.

Simba

Staff Member
that's true but not sure any of the guys we've tried out are special teamers at all

Oh for sure. That is why I'm confused why we're looking at veterans unless it was just what was available at the time. Partially why I'd sign Holyfield to the PS, elevate him, let him stand there in case of emergencies, and continue to look at other options.

But of course, it seems very much like they have different plans.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Oh for sure. That is why I'm confused why we're looking at veterans unless it was just what was available at the time. Partially why I'd sign Holyfield to the PS, elevate him, let him stand there in case of emergencies, and continue to look at other options.

I think we already are in an emergency situation. Maybe it's not dire, but I'd rather have a 3rd rb to keep Williams and Edwards fresh.

rossihunter2

Staff Member

because if im honest i dont think at this point they care about special teams - we've got gus and an inexperienced RB 2 - it may be that right now they're not worried about special teams for that RB 3

we've got so much special teams ability at other positions that they can probably get away with it - so then it's just a case of managing expectations of an experienced vet coming in with the understanding that they're coming in with a specific role (which is why i think Lev bell doesn't make sense because he wasnt happy with that role in KC - but in terms of play-style he's exactly what i think we'd be looking for)