• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Signings, Cuts, Trades

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
I based my guess off absolutely nothing other than my desperate hope that being with a run first championship team reenergizes him. Also would bring a smile to my face watching/listening to Pitt fans complain about him doing well in Baltimore.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I think once Pittsburgh gets a look at Najee Harris, they won't care what Bell is doing somewhere else. They already watched him get wildly overpaid in NY and get embarrassed in KC, so I doubt much he could do would make them feel bad.

If anything, they're getting a nice little laugh out of the thought that a guy who held out from their team just three years ago and then signed for a boatload of cash afterwards is now resigned to getting limited practice squad looks and playing for, quite literally, the minimum.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Would be shocked if this happens. I think its more likely he's unemployed entirely by week 6. Guy has not been a productive NFL back since 2017. I don't know why 2021 would be any different.

"Proper reps" for Bell to put up even average production in this league is 300+ touches. He can't handle that workload anymore, the Ravens offense doesn't lend itself to such usage, and there's no scenario I see where any NFL team has a good offense with Bell getting 300+ touches.

but like what do you mean by productive?

because his YPC last year was still fine - wasn't explosive but it was fine and that was in a down year in an offence that's not an explosive running offence - he still managed 4 ypc

Simba

Staff Member
I don't have an eye for this stuff, but the cuts in that workout video look stiff as hell to me. Anyone confirm/refute?

Yes but that's how he's always been for the most part. Never this super quick or fast guy... just patient and nuanced. And that's why he was so good in his prime.

The big takeaway from the video is that he's in much better shape than he has been the past few years.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
I think once Pittsburgh gets a look at Najee Harris, they won't care what Bell is doing somewhere else. They already watched him get wildly overpaid in NY and get embarrassed in KC, so I doubt much he could do would make them feel bad.

If anything, they're getting a nice little laugh out of the thought that a guy who held out from their team just three years ago and then signed for a boatload of cash afterwards is now resigned to getting limited practice squad looks and playing for, quite literally, the minimum.
I think the funniest part was he got less with the Jets than the offer he turned down from the Steelers the previous year.

Yes but that's how he's always been for the most part. Never this super quick or fast guy... just patient and nuanced. And that's why he was so good in his prime.

The big takeaway from the video is that he's in much better shape than he has been the past few years.
I'm rooting for him. Already claimed him on fantasy waivers.

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
but like what do you mean by productive?

because his YPC last year was still fine - wasn't explosive but it was fine and that was in a down year in an offence that's not an explosive running offence - he still managed 4 ypc
I mean, 4.0 YPC is about the floor I would like to see any RB at, so I would say he was operating at replacement level last year. Last year, for RBs that qualified with enough carries, there were 42 RBs that averaged 4.0 YPC, so I'm not sure that's something I'd be proud of.

He hasn't been above that number since 2016. Even in 2017, when he had almost 2,000 total yards, I wasn't impressed. He had over 400 touches. I think every team in the league has probably at least two RBs that, if you gave them 400 touches, could get you close to 2,000 total yards. It's like being impressive with a QB who throws for 4,000 yards on like 600+ pass attempts. Duh. That's like the absolute minimum you could do.

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
I think the funniest part was he got less with the Jets than the offer he turned down from the Steelers the previous year.
Well he got more guaranteed money, I believe. There was a lot of "rumors" about what the Steelers offer actually was, but Bell said the Steelers offered $14M per, but only $10M guaranteed, and none of it after year 1.
The Jets deal was for $13.25M AAV, but it did have $27M guaranteed.
He ended up making almost $29M in two years with the Jets/Chiefs in 19-20.

He forfeited the $14.5M under the tag in 2018, so that sort of nets against that. So really the question is how much PIT would have paid him in 19/20. If it was more than about $16M, he was worse off.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
I mean, 4.0 YPC is about the floor I would like to see any RB at, so I would say he was operating at replacement level last year. Last year, for RBs that qualified with enough carries, there were 42 RBs that averaged 4.0 YPC, so I'm not sure that's something I'd be proud of.

He hasn't been above that number since 2016. Even in 2017, when he had almost 2,000 total yards, I wasn't impressed. He had over 400 touches. I think every team in the league has probably at least two RBs that, if you gave them 400 touches, could get you close to 2,000 total yards. It's like being impressive with a QB who throws for 4,000 yards on like 600+ pass attempts. Duh. That's like the absolute minimum you could do.
you can't really do that though. For the most part yards / carry goes down the more you have the ball.

However, I'd agree with you that his 4.0 ypc in rushing attempts in 2017 weren't impressive, especially in an offense with a very good oline and one of the better offenses in the league back in 2017.

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
you can't really do that though. For the most part yards / carry goes down the more you have the ball.

However, I'd agree with you that his 4.0 / carry rushing attempts in 2017 weren't impressive, especially in an offense with a very good oline and one of the better offenses in the league back in 2017.
Ehh, I'm not sure that would hold up in evidence. The top two backs in terms of carries last year both had over 5.0 YPC (Henry and Cook). 10 RBs with over 200 carries, 4 of them averaging 5.0 or better, and two of them were 4.5 or better. The guys who are lower on this list are guys who teams are now looking to run the ball less with (Jacobs and Drake, who are now ironically on the same team), or somebody like Zeke, who played in a terrible offense.

Do I think Dobbins would average 6.0 YPC with 300 attempts? No I do not. I think he'd be at or above 5.0 YPC, though. So I guess technically, yes, it probably does go "down", but guys who are averaging 4.0 YPC on anything over like 100 carries (a decent sample size) are not players teams are typically looking to get the ball more to.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Ehh, I'm not sure that would hold up in evidence. The top two backs in terms of carries last year both had over 5.0 YPC (Henry and Cook). 10 RBs with over 200 carries, 4 of them averaging 5.0 or better, and two of them were 4.5 or better. The guys who are lower on this list are guys who teams are now looking to run the ball less with (Jacobs and Drake, who are now ironically on the same team), or somebody like Zeke, who played in a terrible offense.

Do I think Dobbins would average 6.0 YPC with 300 attempts? No I do not. I think he'd be at or above 5.0 YPC, though. So I guess technically, yes, it probably does go "down", but guys who are averaging 4.0 YPC on anything over like 100 carries (a decent sample size) are not players teams are typically looking to get the ball more to.
you basically just agreed with me.

ndub

Ravens Ring of Honor

Pitt stans probably think it’s hilarious that we’re signing some of their rejects. First AV and now Bell

BoredMarine13

Ravens Ring of Honor
He's Le'Veon F'ing Bell. lol! Any Eastbound and Down reference gets an automatic thumbs up. lmao.

Concur ….I’m going to Shabooms!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk