• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Signings, Cuts, Trades

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Well, now, for me, it's all on Tavon. I can certainly live with Marlon and Averett on the outside, and I can live with Jimmy being the 3rd outside corner. But if Tavon ends up getting hurt again or sucks in the slot, that puts Marlon in the slot (again) and now Averett and Jimmy outside. I see worse pairings in the league, but its not a "strength" I would say anymore, and it's something other teams can attack fairly easily I think.
If Marlon had to move to the slot, we could very well be vulnerable due to both Jimmy and Averett being overwhelmingly right corners.

Hello Richard Sherman. No I don't see that coming, but he's a left corner and that's why I said it so no reason to comment.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Well, now, for me, it's all on Tavon. I can certainly live with Marlon and Averett on the outside, and I can live with Jimmy being the 3rd outside corner. But if Tavon ends up getting hurt again or sucks in the slot, that puts Marlon in the slot (again) and now Averett and Jimmy outside. I see worse pairings in the league, but its not a "strength" I would say anymore, and it's something other teams can attack fairly easily I think.

sure - but our depth behind these guys is the best it's ever been with interesting young guys with nickel experience - averett played some slot this preseason, brandon stephens played some nickel this preseason (and figures to do so in some dime packages in the regular season early), ardarius washington also probably made this team because of his ability to play slot corner

Simba

Staff Member

this probably also a move to help get levine or ellis up to the 53 which means we get to put both bell and freeman on the PS

Probably played around with the rules a bit here. Boyle doing light work for a few days so they could put him on IR with that rule that he couldn’t go directly.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
the problem is partly related to lamar being so good at it - he leaves the ball in there longer than many of these guys will have done before (if they've done meshpoint stuff before) - its likely to create a bit of uncertainty for the backs about when they've actually been given the football potentially
if it becomes a problem I’m perfectly fine with just designing runs that look like options but are in reality just designed one way or another, which is something we already do plenty of
sure - but our depth behind these guys is the best it's ever been with interesting young guys with nickel experience - averett played some slot this preseason, brandon stephens played some nickel this preseason (and figures to do so in some dime packages in the regular season early), ardarius washington also probably made this team because of his ability to play slot corner
Slot corner is not a concern for me for these same reasons, I wanted us to draft Washington all offseason in hopes that he makes his way on the team as a slot corner before he eventually bumps up to safety.
Any hope I hope had of keeping Averett on a decent deal will be completely killed when he earns a huge payday this year.
Maybe we’re the ones who pay him? Maybe he gets a tag-trade? He’s a corner, he’s got too much value for us to let walk for a comp

rossihunter2

Staff Member
if it becomes a problem I’m perfectly fine with just designing runs that look like options but are in reality just designed one way or another, which is something we already do plenty of

so much of our offence isn't actually option offence - it's just window dressing to hold the defenders

but for it to work the meshpoint still has to work - and lamar sells the mesh longer and better than any QB in the league

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Slot corner is not a concern for me for these same reasons, I wanted us to draft Washington all offseason in hopes that he makes his way on the team as a slot corner before he eventually bumps up to safety.

all those idiots on social media complaining about trading away shaun wade because what happens if tavon gets injured just didnt get it - shaun wade was like the 4th best slot corner on our roster - there's a reason stephens and washington entered the games before him - and there's a reason he didnt get any snaps in the slot in preseason too...

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
all those idiots on social media complaining about trading away shaun wade because what happens if tavon gets injured just didnt get it - shaun wade was like the 4th best slot corner on our roster - there's a reason stephens and washington entered the games before him - and there's a reason he didnt get any snaps in the slot in preseason too...
and he only had 4 snaps in the slot during the preseason. I'm sure they had enough during practices though.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
he'd have to have an incredible season to get the tag
but i'd be disappointed if we let him go for a contract that only qualifies for a 5th round pick for example... no reason not to match it if that's the hypothetical case
this is very true, but if you are only going to match it, he most likely would move on so he has the opportunity to start.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
this is very true, but if you are only going to match it, he most likely would move on so he has the opportunity to start.

possibly - MP would still be recovering from an injury if/when he signed, who knows what will be going on with Tavon at that point but also both MP and tavon would only have 1 year left on their deals... not saying he wouldnt look elsewhere but next offseason the ravens might not be such a poor destination for him to return to if the price is the same