• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Signings, Cuts, Trades

JO_75

Hall of Famer
Current Waiver Order: Lions, Dolphins, Texans, Jaguars, Jets, Giants, Washington, Eagles, Seahawks, Bears, Falcons, 49ers, Vikings, Colts, Patriots, Broncos, Browns, Chiefs, Panthers, Chargers, Steelers, Bengals, Saints, Bucs, Bills, Raiders, Cowboys, Packers, Ravens, Rams, Titans, Cardinals.

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
Really, yo?

I mean... depending on the details of his contract restructure, I would just put money on pretty much everybody in the top 5-10 in the waiver order.
Like if his salary has been reduced down to the league minimum, as some have reported, then I would expect like 20-25 teams to put in waiver claims, including the Ravens. Even if we don't need him, if a guy of his talent becomes available, even as a rental, for like $1M or less, of course you make space for him.

So unless the contract restructuring that they did still makes claiming off expensive, I expect you'll see the Ravens on the waiver claim. They just won't win it.

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
Current Waiver Order: Lions, Dolphins, Texans, Jaguars, Jets, Giants, Washington, Eagles, Seahawks, Bears, Falcons, 49ers, Vikings, Colts, Patriots, Broncos, Browns, Chiefs, Panthers, Chargers, Steelers, Bengals, Saints, Bucs, Bills, Raiders, Cowboys, Packers, Ravens, Rams, Titans, Cardinals.
If I look just at this order alone, there's a TON of WR needy teams who could not only claim him for this year but probably could afford him longer if they want.
Detroit, Houston, Jacksonville come to mind.

Simba

Staff Member
I’m definitely confused as to why so many people feel that we’re a possible destination. Not just fans but even some analysts/media. I mean don’t get me wrong - I still think Odell is a star outside of Cleveland and I’d take him. But we’re stacked up at WR right now. Just doesn’t seem like a fit.

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
I’m definitely confused as to why so many people feel that we’re a possible destination. Not just fans but even some analysts/media. I mean don’t get me wrong - I still think Odell is a star outside of Cleveland and I’d take him. But we’re stacked up at WR right now. Just doesn’t seem like a fit.
Because they're not intelligent human beings. It's really that simple.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Normally id agree but I’ve seen some people that I really respect saying it as well. Just interesting to me.

i dont get it - lots of people were all on us potentially bringing in a WR at the trade deadline

i dont understand what these people are seeing about our team that im not?

passing game's the best it's been in the lamar era and that's without even having the full contingent of weapons on the field together yet this year...

im not gonna say no if it happens but i dont understand why we're supposedly one of the top or favourite landing spots

JAAM

Hall of Famer
If he makes it through waivers, cut Sammy and give Odell the vet minimum. Unpopular opinion but fuck it. I can’t trust Sammy to stay healthy

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
If he makes it through waivers, cut Sammy and give Odell the vet minimum. Unpopular opinion but fuck it. I can’t trust Sammy to stay healthy
If Odell were to sign for the vet minimum as an actual UFA (which I seriously doubt happens), why would you need to cut Watkins to make that work? I'd just cut Boykin and keep them both.

You'd only need to cut Watkins if Odell is NOT at the veteran minimum level. If he actually makes it to free agency, I suspect he'll sign for a decent bit more than the vet minimum. I think plenty of contenders would still give up like $2-4M for half a season. And we're not one of them.

JAAM

Hall of Famer
but why would we cut sammy? we'd only save like 700k if we cut sammy and he's been a great addition outside of that injury he picked up when he got smacked
Really? I thought we’d save a lot more. My bad. How much is the vet minimum though?

JAAM

Hall of Famer
If Odell were to sign for the vet minimum as an actual UFA (which I seriously doubt happens), why would you need to cut Watkins to make that work? I'd just cut Boykin and keep them both.

You'd only need to cut Watkins if Odell is NOT at the veteran minimum level. If he actually makes it to free agency, I suspect he'll sign for a decent bit more than the vet minimum. I think plenty of contenders would still give up like $2-4M for half a season. And we're not one of them.
Forgot about Boykin. Good points though. I just don’t understand why we have the second best odds. Seems bizarre

JAAM

Hall of Famer
I really hope we figured out our identity during the bye. Can we trust our RBs late in the season? Do we become a pass heavy team? If the latter, why not add more talent to the roster in Odell? Dude for SURE ain’t fucking up our locker room

Simba

Staff Member
i dont get it - lots of people were all on us potentially bringing in a WR at the trade deadline

i dont understand what these people are seeing about our team that im not?

passing game's the best it's been in the lamar era and that's without even having the full contingent of weapons on the field together yet this year...

im not gonna say no if it happens but i dont understand why we're supposedly one of the top or favourite landing spots

Yeah I mean don’t get me wrong… I wouldn’t say no to Odell if we were interested. Just don’t know how people are looking at this 2021 team and thinking WR is the place where we should add. If anything, that’s been arguably our best position group all year.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I really hope we figured out our identity during the bye. Can we trust our RBs late in the season? Do we become a pass heavy team? If the latter, why not add more talent to the roster in Odell? Dude for SURE ain’t fucking up our locker room

that would have to be the logic of the addition - that we've worked out our running game isnt worth anything at this point and that lamar's going to have to continue to be 85-90% of our offensive output so give him more weapons

if we know we have to pass and we cant find more pass pro help then the answer has to be to find more weapons

JAAM

Hall of Famer
for odell in year 8 it'd be just over 1m but that's for the whole year so it'd likely only be something like 600k i think
How the mighty have fallen

JAAM

Hall of Famer