• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Signings, Cuts, Trades

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
we miss his iq and communication on the backend a ton - just the confidence and intelligence with at-snap or even post-snap adjustments and communication was excellent and enabled us to be so efficient on the backend

humphrey's the better pure man cover corner, but peters adds an element of threat that when you throw it towards his side of the field you're taking a risk and that weighs on a quarterback's mind

ill be really frustrated if he's not on this team in 2022 - ill understand if that's the last year he's here albeit ill likely be disappointed - but there's absolutely no reason to get rid of him for the 2022 season
I think the Humphrey vs peters debate is based on 2 things: popular opinion and preference. Watching Ed reeds entire career I just have a soft spot for that kind of player, he is just the smartest and most skilled player out there and plays with supreme confidence, he’s just a rare type of player and that skill set I believe will always work for him as long as he’s allowed to play to his strengths, and his impact may not be as consistently big as Humphreys as far as tangible production, but what else he provides is huge and when he does make that impact play, it’s big time. He’s an opportunist and he comes through in the clutch due to his film study and just innate understanding of what offenses are trying to do, Humphrey has some of that too but it’s very limited compared to peters, when the play is in front of him he’s as good as anyone in the league at any position of coming down for the stop, but peters has eyes on all sides of his head and can see out of all of them better than anyone out there can see from their 2. He doesn’t lock down a man, he locks down sections of the field, and if you complete one on him, or even near him, think twice before you try it again because odds are he’s already figured out how to pick the next one, and ANY mistake made in his area, he’s coming away with one, he’s just the most opportunistic player we’ve had in a very long time.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
This is one of the most nonsensical seasons we've had in recent times.

lol this defence alone is a wild unit:
3rd worst in Ints
3rd worst in turnovers
3rd worst in yards per play (giving up more big plays than any ravens defence in recent memory)
2nd worst in YAC given up

And yet...

1st in 3rd down defence
7th in points allowed
5th in scoring drive rate
2nd in QB hit%
4th in pressure rate

utterly weird and baffling unit that seems to play tight, aggressive and effective defence except when they don’t and when they don’t it’s a big play

Peters is the heart and soul of this defence, I thought it last year and it was confirmed this year. He's smart and just appears to be a great team mate and organiser. Lock that dude up until he retires. Can afford to lose a step or two due to his intelligence. Reed played to 35 right and I only felt he pushed it too far one to two years max.

Argentina Raven

Practice Squad
with all the good player that Peters is, he does not get to be a Marlon Humphrey.
In my opinion, Marlon's problems go back to the fruit punch, from that year where he caused the turnovers, he entered a momentum of trying in all the plays forgetting to tackle, which is the current problem, he does not put the player in the floor and allows big profits.
correcting that, it is a cb that will put his wr at 0 and the chase match will be history ..
Marcus has the Raven arrogance, he will make the play whenever we need him, he will talk trash to the opponent, but he is not as constant as Marlon is.
leave me with the 2 for a few more years ..

ndub

Ravens Ring of Honor
with all the good player that Peters is, he does not get to be a Marlon Humphrey.
In my opinion, Marlon's problems go back to the fruit punch, from that year where he caused the turnovers, he entered a momentum of trying in all the plays forgetting to tackle, which is the current problem, he does not put the player in the floor and allows big profits.
correcting that, it is a cb that will put his wr at 0 and the chase match will be history ..
Marcus has the Raven arrogance, he will make the play whenever we need him, he will talk trash to the opponent, but he is not as constant as Marlon is.

Marlon gives up a ton of catches he shouldn't give up too. He has little semblance of being able to play the ball in the air.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
lol this defence alone is a wild unit:
3rd worst in Ints
3rd worst in turnovers
3rd worst in yards per play (giving up more big plays than any ravens defence in recent memory)
2nd worst in YAC given up

And yet...

1st in 3rd down defence
7th in points allowed
5th in scoring drive rate
2nd in QB hit%
4th in pressure rate

utterly weird and baffling unit that seems to play tight, aggressive and effective defence except when they don’t and when they don’t it’s a big play
They don’t give up drives, just big plays

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
I get it, but marlo also draws a lot of holds and pass interference, and honestly he’s lucky he isn’t called for it more. And he’s just not as natural in coverage and is really just a tight man corner and not much else, peters can play zone as well as he plays man and has straight up elite ball skills and awareness, marlo kinda relies on his own strategy which is all based on reading cues from the receiver and timing his punch, it works at times but it’s limited, peters limitations are all in his biting on double moves, hell he even improved his tackling big time to the point he was one of our most sure tacklers last season.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Bank on this, Marcus peters will be a baller until the day he retires. His skill set doesn’t diminish with age, it gets better. He may need to move to FS in about 3 years, but Marcus peters will be a problem every time he straps up, regardless of age.
now I could absolutely see him playing free safety and wasn't taking this into account.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Peters is the heart and soul of this defence, I thought it last year and it was confirmed this year. He's smart and just appears to be a great team mate and organiser. Lock that dude up until he retires. Can afford to lose a step or two due to his intelligence. Reed played to 35 right and I only felt he pushed it too far one to two years max.
Wink had Peters call one of the preseason games after he came off the field. I'm not sure which game it was. His intelligence is off the charts.

for me it's a good cb pairing. Marlon is a physicist with the ability to close the wr, Marcus usually gives him yards but they throw to his side, bang! interception.
with Jimmy and Tavon it's a hell of a group, shame about the injuries
Agree with this - they're a perfect duo. Marlon locks down his side, forcing the QB into mind games with Marcus.

JAAM

Hall of Famer
now I could absolutely see him playing free safety and wasn't taking this into account.
I’d love for MP to make that switch here when he’s ready

D1City55

Pro Bowler
I would like to see how Peters is recovering from his rehab and if he still has the same explosiveness and cutting ability. If he's hasn't lost a step then there's no way in hell I would let him go.

jboy19

Pro Bowler
I would like to see how Peters is recovering from his rehab and if he still has the same explosiveness and cutting ability. If he's hasn't lost a step then there's no way in hell I would let him go.

Feel like he's either getting a new deal or cut. Not sure why he wasn't restructured all year while they needed cash if neither of these happens.

Grim

Ravens Ring of Honor
Feel like he's either getting a new deal or cut. Not sure why he wasn't restructured all year while they needed cash if neither of these happens.
They may just want to see how he recovers before making any decision.

D1City55

Pro Bowler
Yeah I'd rather see how he looks first before I would give him a new deal or restructure.