• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Signings, Cuts, Trades

UPennChem

Hall of Famer
If someone gave me 10000 to 1 odds that Tony Jefferson was going to be on the 2021 Ravens, I wouldn't have even bet a dollar lol.

D1City55

Pro Bowler
I'd guess they're pretty open on Bozeman right now. If he comes in a top of market, they'll likely let him walk. If he comes in at a good-level player price point, I think they'd hang onto him. The good news is that Mekari and Colon can both play C as well, so it's not like we're completely barren should Bozeman walk. With that being said, I'd still imagine that he's a priority and they'll work to get something done.
He's still a priority but if he's on top of the market, which I wouldn't doubt then I think they'll let him walk. I like Colon at C, haven't seen him much but I don't think he looked bad in the few snaps he played. Mekari, on the other hand, I don't think fits there, he was pretty bad there in 2019 and there was a massive drop off between him and Skura, granted I believe he was a rookie during that time but I don't believe he's an option there.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Man are we sure about paying Bozeman? I really wanted us to keep Jensen around in FA because he had that physical and a mauler but I don't know about Bozeman. I feel like he's better off as an LG and us making a move for a C makes sense but if he breaks the market then I would prefer on passing to resign him.

Spotrac has his market value at about 9.5M annual salary. Now I know they're not entirely accurate but if they're well aware that he won't be cheap then how much would the market value him at? Ryan Jensen wasn't even a Pro Bowler and signed the largest contract in NFL history. FA market is pretty dry this year and OLs are rarely hitting the market. It's not like he's Yanda or anything, he's not the glue holding this OL together.

why do you think he's better at LG than C?
and spotrac often seems to get market value hella wrong so i wouldnt worry about that

Jensen was overpaid for his experience to that point because he was only a 1 year starter - but his play level was that of someone who deserved to be compensated at a similar level to the way he was

id be surprised if bozeman came in under 10m/yr
id also be surprised if he got ragnow money too

rossihunter2

Staff Member
He's still a priority but if he's on top of the market, which I wouldn't doubt then I think they'll let him walk. I like Colon at C, haven't seen him much but I don't think he looked bad in the few snaps he played. Mekari, on the other hand, I don't think fits there, he was pretty bad there in 2019 and there was a massive drop off between him and Skura, granted I believe he was a rookie during that time but I don't believe he's an option there.

Colon was fine as a backup - possible he can get better too - but in his time in relief of bozeman he missed quite a few low-importance blocks but he still missed them

but he's pretty sure-handed and certainly capable enough as a backup - im not sure he's someone right now id want playing a whole season as a starter but its certainly possible that he can improve on what he's shown so far (which has been a lot better than you'd expect from a udfa)

mekari also has been fine at C - the poor snaps were obviously an issue that came up down the stretch in relief of skura but they hadnt been an issue in 2019...

it would make sense for it to be colon as the replacement C though

but also if bozeman goes i think it's highly likely we draft someone to compete for that spot - there's a few interesting Cs this year before I even start studying them albeit a lot of them seem to be fairly undersized but to me there were only 4 guys of any interest in the whole of last year's draft at the position even by the end of the process (Humphrey, Dickerson - who's been playing guard, Josh Myers, Kendrick Green... maybe throw in trey hill as a 5th guy)

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
kevin harlan brought up something about us being close to the maximum number of roster changes or something this season

and i couldnt find anything about that

does anyone know if that's a real thing - like is there a limit to how many players you can play in a season?
I believe he said it was 90, but I can't find anything that confirms that.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I believe he said it was 90, but I can't find anything that confirms that.

that's my point - he said that and i cant find anything about it at all

said we were at 88 or something and the limit is 90
but then said something like the titans have used the most in the NFL and i can't imagine they're going to get through the year without another couple of players so i feel like we would have heard about this before... especially in the covid era

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
why do you think he's better at LG than C?
and spotrac often seems to get market value hella wrong so i wouldnt worry about that

Jensen was overpaid for his experience to that point because he was only a 1 year starter - but his play level was that of someone who deserved to be compensated at a similar level to the way he was

id be surprised if bozeman came in under 10m/yr
id also be surprised if he got ragnow money too
unfortunately I think you are right and if he is going to come in at 10+ I think we let him walk. if we can get him for 8m than we will be able to sign him. I just don't think they will go above that, but I hope I'm wrong. I also think the Earl Thomas situation could change things.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
that's my point - he said that and i cant find anything about it at all

said we were at 88 or something and the limit is 90
but then said something like the titans have used the most in the NFL and i can't imagine they're going to get through the year without another couple of players so i feel like we would have heard about this before... especially in the covid era
did he say we were at 88 or the Titans were. I know he said we were two or 3 behind the Titans. I also agree and am surprised there isn't anything about it on line, if in fact it is a thing.

D1City55

Pro Bowler
Colon was fine as a backup - possible he can get better too - but in his time in relief of bozeman he missed quite a few low-importance blocks but he still missed them

but he's pretty sure-handed and certainly capable enough as a backup - im not sure he's someone right now id want playing a whole season as a starter but its certainly possible that he can improve on what he's shown so far (which has been a lot better than you'd expect from a udfa)

mekari also has been fine at C - the poor snaps were obviously an issue that came up down the stretch in relief of skura but they hadnt been an issue in 2019...

it would make sense for it to be colon as the replacement C though

but also if bozeman goes i think it's highly likely we draft someone to compete for that spot - there's a few interesting Cs this year before I even start studying them albeit a lot of them seem to be fairly undersized but to me there were only 4 guys of any interest in the whole of last year's draft at the position even by the end of the process (Humphrey, Dickerson - who's been playing guard, Josh Myers, Kendrick Green... maybe throw in trey hill as a 5th guy)
To answer the earlier question, I was very impressed with his play at LG in 2019 and 2020 but If he stays I'd rather get an really high end C, I don't think Bozeman is a bad C in fact I think he's good, but I think the OL has potential to be better with him at the LG position, and another player who's also capable at C. That's just how I see it, I think the Ravens playing him at C is probably due to the fact that it gives them the best OL line up.

As far as Mekari goes, he was pretty terrible in that Titans playoffs game, and prior to that I don't recall much any good things about him at C, and I don't think he does a good job in leverage, it's weird that's he's been better as an OT but I think that's where he should be best fit at, gives us a good back up option.

I agree that Spotrac's numbers are off the mark usually, but that's due to the fact that they undershoot the amount on the contract rather then overshoot. How many times have we been surprised at a players contract not due to the fact that they were underpaid but rather overpaid? If anyone guesses wrong on a contract, it's usually because it's more than what they expected.

As far as Bozeman's market value goes, this is a weak FA market, people tend to think that just because a guy is underrated or not spoken about much, that it automatically means that teams aren't high on them, they certainly do their homework on players other teams. I wouldn't be surprised if Bozeman get's paid under 10M. It's a premium position and I don't see a legit argument as to why he shouldn't get that type of money. Is it because he's not elite? Hard to find elite centers in the league nowadays, many of them are injured or rarely hit the market.

purplepittabread88

Staff Member
Administrator
I understand the tackels are the major issue this year but it doesnt make me any less bearish about investing heavy money inward to a line that isnt working at all.
However,
League wide I feel the lines who have been together longer at the same positions fair far better than what is deemed similar replacement players, I think chemisty is high undervalued even carrying over seasons.

This line does have so many questions, it wouldnt be terrible to shell out 10 million for a guanrteed answer.

purplepittabread88

Staff Member
Administrator
I think the odds Marcus Peters isn't on this team next year are xtremely high, and although I do usually respect and wait to react,
that would be one of the biggest mistakes this team could make. We need his paly making ability and swagger.

purplepittabread88

Staff Member
Administrator
To answer the earlier question, I was very impressed with his play at LG in 2019 and 2020 but If he stays I'd rather get an really high end C, I don't think Bozeman is a bad C in fact I think he's good, but I think the OL has potential to be better with him at the LG position, and another player who's also capable at C. That's just how I see it, I think the Ravens playing him at C is probably due to the fact that it gives them the best OL line up.

As far as Mekari goes, he was pretty terrible in that Titans playoffs game, and prior to that I don't recall much any good things about him at C, and I don't think he does a good job in leverage, it's weird that's he's been better as an OT but I think that's where he should be best fit at, gives us a good back up option.

I agree that Spotrac's numbers are off the mark usually, but that's due to the fact that they undershoot the amount on the contract rather then overshoot. How many times have we been surprised at a players contract not due to the fact that they were underpaid but rather overpaid? If anyone guesses wrong on a contract, it's usually because it's more than what they expected.

As far as Bozeman's market value goes, this is a weak FA market, people tend to think that just because a guy is underrated or not spoken about much, that it automatically means that teams aren't high on them, they certainly do their homework on players other teams. I wouldn't be surprised if Bozeman get's paid under 10M. It's a premium position and I don't see a legit argument as to why he shouldn't get that type of money. Is it because he's not elite? Hard to find elite centers in the league nowaays, many of them are injured or rarely hit the market.
Having Yanda on our line along with Stannley made scouting the rest of the line extremely difficult. It is really hard to tell how a player will lineup without a monster HOF player who is one of the only game wreckers at gaurd I have ever seen

rossihunter2

Staff Member

As far as Bozeman's market value goes, this is a weak FA market, people tend to think that just because a guy is underrated or not spoken about much, that it automatically means that teams aren't high on them, they certainly do their homework on players other teams. I wouldn't be surprised if Bozeman get's paid under 10M. It's a premium position and I don't see a legit argument as to why he shouldn't get that type of money. Is it because he's not elite? Hard to find elite centers in the league nowadays, many of them are injured or rarely hit the market.

so we're mostly agreeing here
but i think it's actually the opposite with bozeman in terms of his position - i think he was at LG because that allowed us to put the best 5 OL on the field together - there are some things he cannot do at LG that change the types of running plays we run there - now it's been fine because we've been able to run so much power right with bozeman pulling because of the way we've structured the offence... don't get me wrong, the ravens have been a right-handed running team for a long time but there's a reason bozeman was pulling more than any other G in ravens history and it's because that was his specific niche - i think he's better suited to C in the long run and that's where he'll stay - now if they retain Bozeman and then there's a C who's an incredible value in the draft then sure they might move him back but if they retain him, i fully expect it to be with the intent for him to secure the C position for a while

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I understand the tackels are the major issue this year but it doesnt make me any less bearish about investing heavy money inward to a line that isnt working at all.
However,
League wide I feel the lines who have been together longer at the same positions fair far better than what is deemed similar replacement players, I think chemisty is high undervalued even carrying over seasons.

This line does have so many questions, it wouldnt be terrible to shell out 10 million for a guanrteed answer.

sure continuity is important - but id say talent and investment is probably even more important

the best OLs in the game right now (for me i think that's clearly the Bucs, Browns, Saints in no particular order) all have multiple high picks and some other big contracts on their OL

Bucs:
Donovan Smith (not a 1st round pick but was taken 34th overall - is being paid a top 10 tackle salary)
Ali Marpet (2nd round pick - is being paid a top 10 guard salary)
Ryan Jensen (reset the market for 2nd contract at C - still a top 5 C salary)
Alex Cappa (3rd round pick)
Tristan Wirfs (top 15 pick)

they have 3 elite players on their OL - Marpet, Jensen and Wirfs

Browns:
Jedrick Wills (top 10 pick)
Joel Bitonio (2nd round pick 35th overall - 2nd highest paid guard in all football)
JC Tretter (4th highest paid C in football)
Wyatt Teller (4th highest paid guard in football)
Jack Conklin (top 10 pick - 6th highest paid RT)

3 of these guys were all-pros in 20202 (the 2 guards were 2nd team but still...) and Wills is a top 10 pick

Saints:
Terron Armstead (3rd round pick - got a 2nd contract - 3 x pro bowler and 2018 2nd team all-pro)
Andrus Peat (top 15 pick - top 10 guard salary)
Erik McCoy (2nd round pick)
Cesar Ruiz (1st round pick)
Ryan Ramczyk (1st round pick)

in the case of the browns and saints, they also have found glue-level backup play when they've lost guys - the browns have blake hance and the saints have james hurst to sew closed the holes at multiple spots on their OL - for us that guy should be pat mekari but he's been entrenched at RT

the browns and saints have managed to make it through periods of disruption because they have high quality talent at multiple spots so their backups are coming into a more friendly situation

im not suggesting we suddenly need to throw money and 1st round picks at every OL position but that talent and investment is far more important than continuity across seasons for good OL play

given how often OL get injured and miss games, chemistry is helpful but not crucial

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator

and your last statement about it being hard to find elite centers nowadays due to them not only rarely hitting the market but being difficult to find in the draft as well. There are just too few of them. This is the reason we should keep Bozeman and continue playing him at center. It's easier to find a left guard than it is center. We may already have the LG of the future on the roster as well.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
I think the odds Marcus Peters isn't on this team next year are xtremely high, and although I do usually respect and wait to react,
that would be one of the biggest mistakes this team could make. We need his paly making ability and swagger.
he's a very smart player and can call the defense and I believe some of the communication issues we are having is because he's not playing. I could be wrong, but that is my opinion. I do not think he isn't on the team in 2022. As a matter of fact I would be surprised if he isn't extended.

They may wait to see how the ACL heals first before extending him, but I wouldn't be surprised if we do extend him.

purplepittabread88

Staff Member
Administrator
sure continuity is important - but id say talent and investment is probably even more important

the best OLs in the game right now (for me i think that's clearly the Bucs, Browns, Saints in no particular order) all have multiple high picks and some other big contracts on their OL

Bucs:
Donovan Smith (not a 1st round pick but was taken 34th overall - is being paid a top 10 tackle salary)
Ali Marpet (2nd round pick - is being paid a top 10 guard salary)
Ryan Jensen (reset the market for 2nd contract at C - still a top 5 C salary)
Alex Cappa (3rd round pick)
Tristan Wirfs (top 15 pick)

they have 3 elite players on their OL - Marpet, Jensen and Wirfs

Browns:
Jedrick Wills (top 10 pick)
Joel Bitonio (2nd round pick 35th overall - 2nd highest paid guard in all football)
JC Tretter (4th highest paid C in football)
Wyatt Teller (4th highest paid guard in football)
Jack Conklin (top 10 pick - 6th highest paid RT)

3 of these guys were all-pros in 20202 (the 2 guards were 2nd team but still...) and Wills is a top 10 pick

Saints:
Terron Armstead (3rd round pick - got a 2nd contract - 3 x pro bowler and 2018 2nd team all-pro)
Andrus Peat (top 15 pick - top 10 guard salary)
Erik McCoy (2nd round pick)
Cesar Ruiz (1st round pick)
Ryan Ramczyk (1st round pick)

in the case of the browns and saints, they also have found glue-level backup play when they've lost guys - the browns have blake hance and the saints have james hurst to sew closed the holes at multiple spots on their OL - for us that guy should be pat mekari but he's been entrenched at RT

the browns and saints have managed to make it through periods of disruption because they have high quality talent at multiple spots so their backups are coming into a more friendly situation

im not suggesting we suddenly need to throw money and 1st round picks at every OL position but that talent and investment is far more important than continuity across seasons for good OL play

given how often OL get injured and miss games, chemistry is helpful but not crucial
Good write up as always Rossi. Makes sense on investment value for sure. We have definitely lacked investment levels at higher picks but have like 4 "meh" starters - or guys who could be starters soon from all the 3rd and 4ths. This is a big reason I was saying I want a play maker saftey or a really good int L at the end of the first this year, I think a game changer in the middle three would do wonders for this team as it can really help out other spots. Obvioulsy our tackles are shot so IDK how possilbe this might be but yea, mekari and even colon in the top 7 helps, but not when they are forced into all starting. It is obviously hard to build a line like that without major sacrifice of capital both in draft and picks, but it definitely pays off.

I think a lot of the moves we have the potenital to make are smaller than what some people think. Maybe a high pick and subbing Bozeman out for Colon is really as good as it can get this offseason. Guys simply need to stay healthy and play better. No reason to have faith in Juan James, but hell that would be an ace up the sleve huh.

purplepittabread88

Staff Member
Administrator
he's a very smart player and can call the defense and I believe some of the communication issues we are having is because he's not playing. I could be wrong, but that is my opinion.
I strongly agree. he is one of my favorite Ravens. it is telling that inital only loss of him just screwed over our pass d.

purplepittabread88

Staff Member
Administrator
why do you think they'll get rid of him?
I think there are a lot of possible reasons, but the main trigger in my head was trying to trade for Howard. Obvioulsy that wouldnt have been a rental as he is on a long term, and we arent ridding of Marlon.
I think Harbs really likes Tavon and AA hasnt been bad outside of communications and that could be seen as an ave to rid of Peters, espically off an injury and somewhat old. Add in that both AA and Tavon are basically FA this year, Jimmy will be gone off age, and it leaves questions.

I think it is fairly known or obvious I would be against this. But it stays as a possability in my mind