• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Signings, Cuts, Trades

JO_75

Hall of Famer
Just thinking ahead to the offseason and what positions we need to address. Noting which key guys are under contract and what I think they might need to do

QB: Jackson, Huntley

No need to touch this, but I'd look to retain Johnson again if he wants to keep playing.

RB: Dobbins, Edwards, Hill, Williams

You have options here but a lot coming off of injury. I wouldn't make it a priority but I'd be open to a mid rounder if there's someone there.

WR: Brown, Bateman, Duvernay, Proche, Wallace, Boykin

Another position I wouldn't really touch unless the value is just there in the draft. Supplement with a cheap vet and we're good to go.

TE: Andrews, Boyle, Oliver, Poljan

Not overly concerned here but if there's a TE you like late in the draft, take a swing. 3 TE sets aren't near as common in the last 2 years.

OT: Stanley, Mekari, Phillips, Villanueva (likely cut)

The first big need on offense. You need starting quality AND some T depth.

G: Zeitler, Cleveland,, Powers, Phillips, Mekari

I think you stay put unless there's a bonafide stud early in the draft. Zeitler is rock solid and between the other 4, we should be fine. I'm even including Mekari and Phillips here in the event they figure out an option or two at T.

C: Colon

Obviously this depends on whether or not Bozeman returns. If he does, great. If he doesn't, you need to add at least competition for Colon if not a true starter

DL: Wolfe, Madubuike, Washignton

Time to get younger here. Wolfe's contract says he should return but you need to add youth otherwise. Would keep contact with Campbell to see his price on a 1 year deal but I'm not beholden to him. I'd target the draft and FA for options here.

ILB: Queen, Harrison, Welch

Lots of FAs here. Bynes, Board, and Fort should all be cheap returnees if you want any of them. Harrison might be more OLB by the actual offseason so who knows where he fits.

OLB: Oweh, Bowser, Hayes, Ferguson

You have 2 quality players here but could still supplement with a vet once again. If Houston wants to keep playing for a similar dollar amount, I'd retain him. I'd also look at the draft once again.

CB: Humphrey, Peters, Young, Westry, Washington

The big kicker here are the contracts of Peters and Young. Something has to give with them and I'd expect them to work something out with both. But you need to add depth here regardless if not some starting level talent depending on those contracts.

S: Clark, Stephens, Stone

You have a solid trio here with one growing player in Stephens. Are they patient with him or do they make a move and keep him in a hybrid/dime role? I've learned to never say never with the Ravens at the S position.

ST: Tucker, Koch, Moore

Time to add some competition for Koch. Wouldn't move on completely and would make it a competition, but thinking Koch's days are numbered.

So,

Primary Needs: OT, C, DL, CB
Secondary Needs: RB, OLB, S
Tertiary Needs: TE, ILB, P

Honestly, feels like it'll be a more traditional draft for us which will be nice. We've hit the skill positions hard and now it's time to get back to our roots and beef up the trenches and the backend of the D.

If Elliott re-signs elsewhere, I'd like to see us go after Justin Reid of the Texans who is a free agent and only 24. He has played both Free & Strong Safety which we know how much we love versatile players and could be a boost to the secondary next to Clark. I wouldn't mind a switch to a 4-3 if we were to move on from Wink since it seems we are in for a defensive overhaul anyway. I really hope we re-sign Bozeman, I want some consistency at Center for Lamar. As for a RB, I'd like for us to bring back Freeman who has shown flashes here and there late in case Gus & Dobbins recovery goes the way of Stanley's recovery. I'd be pounding the table this offseason to draft Hassan Haskins if we didn't already draft Dobbins.

OURavensFan

Ravens Ring of Honor
If Elliott re-signs elsewhere, I'd like to see us go after Justin Reid of the Texans who is a free agent and only 24. He has played both Free & Strong Safety which we know how much we love versatile players and could be a boost to the secondary next to Clark. I wouldn't mind a switch to a 4-3 if we were to move on from Wink since it seems we are in for a defensive overhaul anyway. I really hope we re-sign Bozeman, I want some consistency at Center for Lamar. As for a RB, I'd like for us to bring back Freeman who has shown flashes here and there late in case Gus & Dobbins recovery goes the way of Stanley's recovery. I'd be pounding the table this offseason to draft Hassan Haskins if we didn't already draft Dobbins.
No thanks on Freeman, move on from Wink. There was a play today where Freeman didn’t rush ahead and pick up a first down

Deebo813

Hall of Famer
Losing our last two games could possibly put us much earlier than #18.. there are like 4 teams with 8 loses and like 5 with 7

JO_75

Hall of Famer
Losing our last two games could possibly put us much earlier than #18.. there are like 4 teams with 8 loses and like 5 with 7

Messing around with NFL Playoff Predictor, losing the last two and depending on the other games we could wind up 14th-16th I believe.

cdp

Ravens Ring of Honor
i think we will keep wink.
Agree. There's no reason to fire him.
However Roman might be the one they're going to fire.
What our defense needs is a ballhawk. Can be either a CB or S. Idk much about this year's prospects coming out of college, but Reid (Texans) or Williams (Saints) are FA. Other than that we definitely have to upgrade OT and G/C.

JAAM

Hall of Famer
Agree. There's no reason to fire him.
However Roman might be the one they're going to fire.
What our defense needs is a ballhawk. Can be either a CB or S. Idk much about this year's prospects coming out of college, but Reid (Texans) or Williams (Saints) are FA. Other than that we definitely have to upgrade OT and G/C.
I really want a change at OC but I fear we might give him a break due to all of the injuries which would suck, because it’s not like he was anything extraordinary without the injuries

D1City55

Pro Bowler
Just my line of thinking based off what I've seen around social media and what not but I think theres no chance either of the coordinators are getting fired. The only way I see a departure is if Roman or Wink get HC jobs elsewhere, step down, retire or pursue another DC gig(Pees).

How are you going to fire Wink? He has practice squad CBs out there and the entire defensive back depth has been shredded. I have my frustrations with him but even early on in the season, the entire secondary was playing with poor technique, tackling and communication. I was on the #fireWink train a while ago but I've tempered my expectations given what's transpired.

As far as Roman goes, his play-calling can get vanilla, and I would love to see more creativity but the execution is lacking on top of the fact that an element that is his specialty has literally been taken away. No one fears these running backs at all. Losing Dobbins and Gus was a bigger blow than I think anyone anticipated. This offense has largely been predicated on putting DEs in conflict but now no one is really concerned about taking the RB since neither Murray(Whos a terrible fit for this offense), or Freeman can make defenses pay. They're slow on outside hand-offs or stretch runs. Look at the Bengals LBs when we run play action, no one is bitting. I know this might sound contradictory but yeah, I would like to see an upgrade but I'm not bother being hopeful for one because I doubt it happens.

ATM, my biggest critique IMO is the lack of getting an RB with burst and speed up to speed. Apart from the mental aspect of the game, Ty'son is just better than Freeman or Murray, however, he doesn't trust what he sees at times nor is he up to speed on the playbook, obviously, that falls on him but find a way to get him involved or find someone who is capable.

They're probably going to evaluate him next year, but he's going to get a pass for this year. Usually if the OC and DC are fired, then the HC is too.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Just thinking ahead to the offseason and what positions we need to address. Noting which key guys are under contract and what I think they might need to do

No need to touch this, but I'd look to retain Johnson again if he wants to keep playing.

You have options here but a lot coming off of injury. I wouldn't make it a priority but I'd be open to a mid rounder if there's someone there.

Another position I wouldn't really touch unless the value is just there in the draft. Supplement with a cheap vet and we're good to go.

Not overly concerned here but if there's a TE you like late in the draft, take a swing. 3 TE sets aren't near as common in the last 2 years.

I think you stay put unless there's a bonafide stud early in the draft. Zeitler is rock solid and between the other 4, we should be fine. I'm even including Mekari and Phillips here in the event they figure out an option or two at T.

Obviously this depends on whether or not Bozeman returns. If he does, great. If he doesn't, you need to add at least competition for Colon if not a true starter

Time to get younger here. Wolfe's contract says he should return but you need to add youth otherwise. Would keep contact with Campbell to see his price on a 1 year deal but I'm not beholden to him. I'd target the draft and FA for options here.

Lots of FAs here. Bynes, Board, and Fort should all be cheap returnees if you want any of them. Harrison might be more OLB by the actual offseason so who knows where he fits.

You have 2 quality players here but could still supplement with a vet once again. If Houston wants to keep playing for a similar dollar amount, I'd retain him. I'd also look at the draft once again.

The big kicker here are the contracts of Peters and Young. Something has to give with them and I'd expect them to work something out with both. But you need to add depth here regardless if not some starting level talent depending on those contracts.

You have a solid trio here with one growing player in Stephens. Are they patient with him or do they make a move and keep him in a hybrid/dime role? I've learned to never say never with the Ravens at the S position.

Time to add some competition for Koch. Wouldn't move on completely and would make it a competition, but thinking Koch's days are numbered.

So,

Honestly, feels like it'll be a more traditional draft for us which will be nice. We've hit the skill positions hard and now it's time to get back to our roots and beef up the trenches and the backend of the D.

juwuan james also will be in the mix at tackle but otherwise mostly agreed

for me:
Primary: OT, DL, CB, C (depending on Bozeman)
Secondary: EDGE, S
Tertiary: ILB, RB, P

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Just my line of thinking based off what I've seen around social media and what not but I think theres no chance either of the coordinators are getting fired. The only way I see a departure is if Roman or Wink get HC jobs elsewhere, step down, retire or pursue another DC gig(Pees).

How are you going to fire Wink? He has practice squad CBs out there and the entire defensive back depth has been shredded. I have my frustrations with him but even early on in the season, the entire secondary was playing with poor technique, tackling and communication. I was on the #fireWink train a while ago but I've tempered my expectations given what's transpired.

As far as Roman goes, his play-calling can get vanilla, and I would love to see more creativity but the execution is lacking on top of the fact that an element that is his specialty has literally been taken away. No one fears these running backs at all. Losing Dobbins and Gus was a bigger blow than I think anyone anticipated. This offense has largely been predicated on putting DEs in conflict but now no one is really concerned about taking the RB since neither Murray(Whos a terrible fit for this offense), or Freeman can make defenses pay. They're slow on outside hand-offs or stretch runs. Look at the Bengals LBs when we run play action, no one is bitting. I know this might sound contradictory but yeah, I would like to see an upgrade but I'm not bother being hopeful for one because I doubt it happens.

ATM, my biggest critique IMO is the lack of getting an RB with burst and speed up to speed. Apart from the mental aspect of the game, Ty'son is just better than Freeman or Murray, however, he doesn't trust what he sees at times nor is he up to speed on the playbook, obviously, that falls on him but find a way to get him involved or find someone who is capable.

They're probably going to evaluate him next year, but he's going to get a pass for this year. Usually if the OC and DC are fired, then the HC is too.

wink's job is completely safe

i think there's some merit to the idea that Harbs and EDC might decide to change it up offensively especially given the schematic issues with cover-0 etc. earlier in the year - it's not set in stone because of the injuries and stuff but if they're going to make a change at OC I wouldn't be surprised if it's now - not many OCs make it into year 4 (either because they've got HC jobs, they've been fired or they've retired)

JAAM

Hall of Famer
wink's job is completely safe

i think there's some merit to the idea that Harbs and EDC might decide to change it up offensively especially given the schematic issues with cover-0 etc. earlier in the year - it's not set in stone because of the injuries and stuff but if they're going to make a change at OC I wouldn't be surprised if it's now - not many OCs make it into year 4 (either because they've got HC jobs, they've been fired or they've retired)
Who would you suggest that’s already with the org?

Grim

Ravens Ring of Honor

So,

This is such a tough one. The defense is epically bad more than the offense but you want to invest in the offense to protect Lamar. I personally don’t think Bozeman has been that good at C, so I would prefer to put him back to LG and draft a C solution. I haven’t checked the free agents to see who we could target but we have a lot of needs as you said in DL, OL, Edge and CB/S.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Who would you suggest that’s already with the org?

idk that there's much point promoting within the organisation tbh

but Urban has probably been next in line for a while and obviously has a direct and close relationship with Lamar which is obviously helpful when designing an offence
and Tee Martin has actual OC experience in college

more likely a hire would be external

rossihunter2

Staff Member
This is such a tough one. The defense is epically bad more than the offense but you want to invest in the offense to protect Lamar. I personally don’t think Bozeman has been that good at C, so I would prefer to put him back to LG and draft a C solution. I haven’t checked the free agents to see who we could target but we have a lot of needs as you said in DL, OL, Edge and CB/S.

what makes you think he's better at LG than C?

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
idk that there's much point promoting within the organisation tbh

but Urban has probably been next in line for a while and obviously has a direct and close relationship with Lamar which is obviously helpful when designing an offence
and Tee Martin has actual OC experience in college

more likely a hire would be external
I’d really like a shanahan disciple at OC. It maintains the run heavy and TE centric passing game but also does a lot to create space and comfort for your qb and allow you to pass out of run personnel, allowing for more hurry up offenses with a full playbook. Then Lamar’s threat of a bootleg and jk dobbins cutback and acceleration will make the stretch game absolutely deadly, the backside squeeze defender will always be in conflict, Lamar is on some telepathic shit with andrews so those TE boots will work so damn well, Bateman streaking deep from the backside while Andrews is in the intermediate all while LBs are cheating up in case Lamar tucks and runs.

I have thought for years and still believe a shanahan style offense would be lethal for Lamar, he’d have to get used to playing more under center and it takes away the read option, but frankly I’m a little tired of the read option and it’s lost a lot of it’s effectiveness with time and it’s not a wise way to play a likely $50m qb

Dom McRaven

Hall of Famer
I’d really like a shanahan disciple at OC. It maintains the run heavy and TE centric passing game but also does a lot to create space and comfort for your qb and allow you to pass out of run personnel, allowing for more hurry up offenses with a full playbook. Then Lamar’s threat of a bootleg and jk dobbins cutback and acceleration will make the stretch game absolutely deadly, the backside squeeze defender will always be in conflict, Lamar is on some telepathic shit with andrews so those TE boots will work so damn well, Bateman streaking deep from the backside while Andrews is in the intermediate all while LBs are cheating up in case Lamar tucks and runs.

I have thought for years and still believe a shanahan style offense would be lethal for Lamar, he’d have to get used to playing more under center and it takes away the read option, but frankly I’m a little tired of the read option and it’s lost a lot of it’s effectiveness with time and it’s not a wise way to play a likely $50m qb
At the point now where we need to do away with the read option. Maybe once in a few games, but that's about it.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
At the point now where we need to do away with the read option. Maybe once in a few games, but that's about it.

idk about that - the inverted veer/counter bash is still a crazy dangerous play for us to have in the offence when JK comes back with Lamar - but the usage in 2020 of that one play was completely unsustainable in that it's a changeup type of play - at the moment it's ineffective because the bash part of the play is not respected at all because we've got no backs who can turn the corner

but it shouldnt be our staple offence and the zone read with lamar to the outside we've not run basically any of that i can remember this year... and maybe not since early 2020 (i could be wrong though)

i think whatever we do we need to preserve those elements and threats to our offence but they absolutely shouldnt be the basis for what this running game is - they should be sprinkled in every now and again to challenge the defence and potentially spark a big play