• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Signings, Cuts, Trades

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
Right. And those decision points will be during/after the 2022 season.
I mean... I don't see how that's possible.
I don't think they'll carry Peters on a $15M+ cap charge before kickoff of the 2022 season. I think he's either gone or extended.
If they decide to keep him at that price well into the Summer, we probably won't be able to sign a single FA above like $3-4M a year. It makes extending our own players problematic at that point.
And we have far too many holds to fill and improvements to make than we do draft picks.

Simba

Staff Member
Considering the state of the secondary I doubt they take that chance. And he was the only guy back there that stayed healthy all of last year, so there's that as well.

Id argue he wasn’t really “healthy” per se although it’s wild he played the entire season. They had to manage his practice reps all season for a reason. That’s the big reason why I don’t think he’s gonna go out and find and big money or anything prohibitive. And if he does, good for him. But I think whatever offers he will get would be similar to what we’d be willing to pay. And I’d be surprised if we aren’t top priority with him being a local guy and how we stuck by him through all of those injuries. I think people are really overestimating his market value.

Simba

Staff Member
I mean I think "robust" market is like $4-6M a year, or more, which is basically what we're scheduled to pay him in 2022. If I were him, I'd have no fear at all of testing the market if the Ravens cut me. I think he'd do at least just as good in terms of cash, and he'd likely get a multi-year deal from somebody with more guaranteed money up front. That's better than what he's getting in Baltimore right now.

I see no way he commands a multi year deal. Good for him if I’m wrong but no one should be committing multiple years or heavy guarantees to him.

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
I see no way he commands a multi year deal. Good for him if I’m wrong but no one should be committing multiple years or heavy guarantees to him.
Don't think it would be super difficult for him. Villanueva got a multi-year deal. He won't get multi-years of guaranteed money, but he could easily land a 2-3 year deal with one year of guarantees if he hit the market.

Which again, is more than what he's getting here currently. At the very least, I think plenty of teams would offer him guaranteed money in the same range as what he's currently scheduled to make for 2022. If I were advising him, paycut isn't on my radar until proven otherwise.

Simba

Staff Member
Don't think it would be super difficult for him. Villanueva got a multi-year deal. He won't get multi-years of guaranteed money, but he could easily land a 2-3 year deal with one year of guarantees if he hit the market.

Which again, is more than what he's getting here currently. At the very least, I think plenty of teams would offer him guaranteed money in the same range as what he's currently scheduled to make for 2022. If I were advising him, paycut isn't on my radar until proven otherwise.

Look at those CB deals from last year. Most got 1 year deals with not much value. Tavon is in the same boat.

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
Look at those CB deals from last year. Most got 1 year deals with not much value. Tavon is in the same boat.
Sure, but that's also by design. Shrinking salary cap and everybody not wanting to be in the market last year and wanting to be in the market this year.
Plus, as I look at the one year deals:
Kyle Fuller - $9.5M
Xavier Rhodes - $6.5M
Casey Heyward - $2.5M
Steven Nelson - $3M
Patrick Peterson - $10M
Jason Verrett - $5.5M

A little all over the place, but hard to argue Young isn't better than a bunch of these guys. All have durability or age concerns.

Simba

Staff Member
Sure, but that's also by design. Shrinking salary cap and everybody not wanting to be in the market last year and wanting to be in the market this year.
Kyle Fuller - $9.5M
Xavier Rhodes - $6.5M
Casey Heyward - $2.5M
Steven Nelson - $3M
Patrick Peterson - $10M
Jason Verrett - $5.5M

A little all over the place, but hard to argue Young isn't better than a bunch of these guys. All have durability or age concerns.

I see him much more in the Heyward and Nelson range. If I’m wrong, good for Young. But just can’t see him getting what his current cap number is. I think he’ll have to settle for less whether that’s here or elsewhere.

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
I see him much more in the Heyward and Nelson range. If I’m wrong, good for Young. But just can’t see him getting what his current cap number is. I think he’ll have to settle for less whether that’s here or elsewhere.
He's not going to get what his current cap number is, but he's not getting what his current cap number is anyway. A bunch of his cap number is just manipulation on the Ravens part for stuff he's already been paid.

He's only getting $5.8M this year from the Ravens (or scheduled to). And I think he'd have no issue getting close to that, if not more, from somebody else. Nelson isn't very good, and Heyward is was 32... a good five years older.

Tavon would compare more, to me, to Mike Hilton, who got 4/$24M with $6M guaranteed. He won't get the years Hilton did, but as one of the better slot corners in the league, that's generally the range.

And at that price point, he's making at or slightly above what he's due to make now. All the more reason why any paycut he would except from the Ravens would seem silly to me. He already took the paycut, then played well. Doesn't logically make sense to take another one.

I personally don't think paycut is on the table. I think its extension or cut.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Kyle Fuller - $9.5M
Xavier Rhodes - $6.5M
Casey Heyward - $2.5M
Steven Nelson - $3M
Patrick Peterson - $10M
Jason Verrett - $5.5M

wow that casey hayward signing was unbelievable value lol - he might have had the best season of all 6 of those guys

Simba

Staff Member
He's not going to get what his current cap number is, but he's not getting what his current cap number is anyway. A bunch of his cap number is just manipulation on the Ravens part for stuff he's already been paid.

He's only getting $5.8M this year from the Ravens (or scheduled to). And I think he'd have no issue getting close to that, if not more, from somebody else. Nelson isn't very good, and Heyward is was 32... a good five years older.

Tavon would compare more, to me, to Mike Hilton, who got 4/$24M with $6M guaranteed. He won't get the years Hilton did, but as one of the better slot corners in the league, that's generally the range.

And at that price point, he's making at or slightly above what he's due to make now. All the more reason why any paycut he would except from the Ravens would seem silly to me. He already took the paycut, then played well. Doesn't logically make sense to take another one.

I personally don't think paycut is on the table. I think its extension or cut.

Im not saying straight paycut. He’ll likely have to settle for less but would do so after exploring the market. I don’t think his value is even close to Hilton nor should it be. Sure he played all season but they had to manage his load at 27 years old and he was still banged up in various ways. I see absolutely no way a team is committing multiple years to a guy like Tavon. What he showed this year was not enough to rehab his value to that level in my view.

cdp

Ravens Ring of Honor

we need to pay Lamar as soon as possible this offseason - because with the salary cap jump expected soon, his asking price could go up and up and up

Lamar is well aware of that which means he could gamble and wait for 2023 or even sign a franchise tag to further postpone his long-term contract.
Im not saying straight paycut. He’ll likely have to settle for less but would do so after exploring the market. I don’t think his value is even close to Hilton nor should it be. Sure he played all season but they had to manage his load at 27 years old and he was still banged up in various ways. I see absolutely no way a team is committing multiple years to a guy like Tavon. What he showed this year was not enough to rehab his value to that level in my view.
Agree and we don't even have the money to do it

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Lamar is well aware of that which means he could gamble and wait for 2023 or even sign a franchise tag to further postpone his long-term contract.

Agree and we don't even have the money to do it

the only thing for lamar is that the longer he waits to take the money, the later he gets to his 3rd deal - if he takes a deal this year he'll might still be under 30 (or around that age) when he gets to his 3rd contract because of how young he is which is pretty rare

it also means he gets a shit ton of money straight away which he doesnt get under the 5th year option or the franchise tag - it's quite a risk he'd be taking

allblackraven

Hall of Famer
Nah. He should get his deal done now and be done worrying about money or perhaps another, maybe worse, late and low hit.

Simba

Staff Member
Nah. He should get his deal done now and be done worrying about money or perhaps another, maybe worse, late and low hit.

And it won't be hard at all for him to get his money now, but also work to structure it where he could need a new deal in 3 years or so and capitalize again.

Simba

Staff Member
Because I'm bored, my definitive FA predictions:

Unrestricted Free Agents:
Anthony Averett - walks
Chris Board - re-signs, 1 year deal around minimum
Bradley Bozeman - walks
Josh Bynes - re-signs, 1 year deal around minimum (post-draft)
Calais Campbell - re-signs, 1 year deal
DeShon Elliott - re-signs, 1 year deal to rehab value
Justin Ellis - re-signs, 1 year deal around minimum
LJ Fort - walks
Devonta Freeman - walks
Justin Houston - keep dialogue open and revisit after draft
Tony Jefferson - re-signs, 1 year deal around minimum
Josh Johnson - keep dialogue open and revisit after draft
Anthony Levine - retires
Pernell McPhee - retires
Latavius Murray - walks
Patrick Ricard - re-signs, multi year contract
David Sharpe - re-signs, 1 year deal around minimum
Jimmy Smith - retires
Eric Tomlinson - re-signs, 1 year deal around minimum
Sammy Watkins - walks
Brandon Williams - walks

Restrictred Free Agents:
Otaro Alaka - non-tendered
Chris Westry - non-tendered/re-signed to lesser deal

Exclusive Rights Free Agents:
Tender all (Crawford, Dorsey, Knight all questionable)

Cut Candidates:
Miles Boykin - cut
Sam Koch - stays, but competition added
Josh Oliver - stays
Ben Powers - traded
Marcus Peters - extended to lower cap number
Ja'Wuan James - stays
Alejandro Villanueva - cut
Tavon Young - cut but keep dialogue open for return

JAAM

Hall of Famer
Because I'm bored, my definitive FA predictions:

Unrestricted Free Agents:
Anthony Averett - walks
Chris Board - re-signs, 1 year deal around minimum
Bradley Bozeman - walks
Josh Bynes - re-signs, 1 year deal around minimum (post-draft)
Calais Campbell - re-signs, 1 year deal
DeShon Elliott - re-signs, 1 year deal to rehab value
Justin Ellis - re-signs, 1 year deal around minimum
LJ Fort - walks
Devonta Freeman - walks
Justin Houston - keep dialogue open and revisit after draft
Tony Jefferson - re-signs, 1 year deal around minimum
Josh Johnson - keep dialogue open and revisit after draft
Anthony Levine - retires
Pernell McPhee - retires
Latavius Murray - walks
Patrick Ricard - re-signs, multi year contract
David Sharpe - re-signs, 1 year deal around minimum
Jimmy Smith - retires
Eric Tomlinson - re-signs, 1 year deal around minimum
Sammy Watkins - walks
Brandon Williams - walks

Restrictred Free Agents:
Otaro Alaka - non-tendered
Chris Westry - non-tendered/re-signed to lesser deal

Exclusive Rights Free Agents:
Tender all (Crawford, Dorsey, Knight all questionable)

Cut Candidates:
Miles Boykin - cut
Sam Koch - stays, but competition added
Josh Oliver - stays
Ben Powers - traded
Marcus Peters - extended to lower cap number
Ja'Wuan James - stays
Alejandro Villanueva - cut
Tavon Young - cut but keep dialogue open for return
I like everything except Fort. I truly hope we keep him

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
And it won't be hard at all for him to get his money now, but also work to structure it where he could need a new deal in 3 years or so and capitalize again.
I don't see anything less than 4 and most likely 5. We need to be able to spread out the signing bonus to reduce cap hits, especially in the early years as much as possible.

Simba

Staff Member
I don't see anything less than 4 and most likely 5. We need to be able to spread out the signing bonus to reduce cap hits, especially in the early years as much as possible.

I think he’ll get that 5 year deal but it might be structured in the sense that it has to be redone after year 3 to make it more manageable. Lamar holds a lot of leverage right now.