• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Signings, Cuts, Trades

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
if you want intricate you definitely dont want a seattle-based cover 3 defence then lol
I thought same when I saw the connection to Seattle. But its pretty clear that a lot of people around the league value some of the assistants or former assistants in that program. And it may just be me, but I view Seattle as a FO failure more than a coaching failure. Not a lot of talent I see on that defense (or on the offensive line). I shake my head at their offseason moves (and draft failures) seemingly every year.

Looking at the actual roster they have, I think they've actually overachieved for years (with the exception of this year).

JAAM

Hall of Famer
if you want intricate you definitely dont want a seattle-based cover 3 defence then lol
I mean, I wouldn't mind lol. Seattle got ridiculously good DB play and solid pass rush out of it

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I don't see any other units that were better.
And he was the secondary coach for the last several years with an elite unit, so I have a hard time docking the guy for one bad season, where we were missing some key players and had a lot of young guys playing.

and we've developed non-marquee talent during his tenure too - averett has become a starting level corner, he took westry who did nothing for the cowboys and turned him into something, and we've seen brandon stephens develop quickly too

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
and we've developed non-marquee talent during his tenure too - averett has become a starting level corner, he took westry who did nothing for the cowboys and turned him into something, and we've seen brandon stephens develop quickly too
Reason # 272 why its not always a great idea to listen to fan opinions about coaching. His "take" appears to be entirely based on recency bias and the last thing he just saw, which almost always leads to bad decision making.
If Wink were fired last year, Hewitt probably would have been a shoe-in candidate to replace him. Now apparently he's off the radar entirely. Go figure.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I thought same when I saw the connection to Seattle. But its pretty clear that a lot of people around the league value some of the assistants or former assistants in that program. And it may just be me, but I view Seattle as a FO failure more than a coaching failure. Not a lot of talent I see on that defense (or on the offensive line). I shake my head at their offseason moves (and draft failures) seemingly every year.

Looking at the actual roster they have, I think they've actually overachieved for years (with the exception of this year).

for sure - wasnt inherently a criticism to dispute it's intricacies - some have criticised wink's defence in the past for being overly complex

i do think there's something to be said for the league having moved on a bit from single high safety type base coverages (like cover 1 and cover 3) because of how much ground you're asking that safety to cover - obviously you use all sorts of different coverages and concepts throughout games but league's new go-to seems to be more of a split-safety cover 2 type of philosophy

Davesta

Ravens Ring of Honor

I don’t follow the Seahawks.. I know they primary ran cover 3 during LOB era. Did they not change their ways after all those guys were gone? Lol

side note: maybe when we covert to cover 3, Marlon will finally play his true pOsITioN as a sTronG SAfeTy

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Reason # 272 why its not always a great idea to listen to fan opinions about coaching. His "take" appears to be entirely based on recency bias and the last thing he just saw, which almost always leads to bad decision making.
If Wink were fired last year, Hewitt probably would have been a shoe-in candidate to replace him. Now apparently he's off the radar entirely. Go figure.

tbf i still think he's the favourite if im honest - we're only hearing about these interview requests because they're external - it's highly likely that hewitt and weaver are both being interviewed for the job as well and it just wont be announced - just like we didnt hear about any of the interviews for any of the staff overhaul last year either (and that was mostly external coaching additions too)

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I don’t follow the Seahawks.. I know they primary ran cover 3 during LOB era. Did they not change their ways after all those guys were gone? Lol

side note: maybe when we covert to cover 3, Marlon will finally play his true pOsITioN as a sTronG SAfeTy

i mean both yes and no - they havent changed their base defence much because it's still pretty effective wherever they've been since when they've had talent on defence - and kris richard coached the defence very similarly when he took over after those guys left to similar success early and then slightly lesser success as the seahawks had some injuries the final 2 years before he was fired (worth noting that he was the playcaller for the cowboys too despite not being the DC there)

but it is worth pointing out they dont just run 2 coverages over and over again because this is the nfl and they'd get victimised all the time - dan quinn especially is running cover 1 and cover 3 much more evenly than he used to and has added in more frequent cover 2 and cover 4 too

but the reason they havent got rid of the cover 3 is because it's still a pretty effective defence:
philosophically it hybridises the front and runs a combination of 3-4 and 4-3 (or more importantly given how little teams play base defence anymore it combines 1-gapping and 2-gapping concepts in the same front) and runs cover-3 and cover-1 on the backend

it's really reliant on having corners who can play press-bail (bump and run whatever you want to call it lol) and puts edge defenders in position to rush - there's a lot of zone coverage in their defence - lots of different kinds of zone coverages but a ton of zone

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
tbf i still think he's the favourite if im honest - we're only hearing about these interview requests because they're external - it's highly likely that hewitt and weaver are both being interviewed for the job as well and it just wont be announced - just like we didnt hear about any of the interviews for any of the staff overhaul last year either (and that was mostly external coaching additions too)
I also think it’s possible they’re doing interviews as sort of a way of getting an outside look at their defense, sort of a “what ideas do you have to improve this unit philosophically”, if they’re floored by one of their responses then they may extend a job offer, if not they get some fresh eyed perspective to pass on to their internal hire

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I also think it’s possible they’re doing interviews as sort of a way of getting an outside look at their defense, sort of a “what ideas do you have to improve this unit philosophically”, if they’re floored by one of their responses then they may extend a job offer, if not they get some fresh eyed perspective to pass on to their internal hire

due diligence

rossihunter2

Staff Member

so they've already interviewed him not just a request

kris richard would be like the complete opposite of wink philosophically - going from a blitz -heavy, man-heavy, complex defence with tons of disguise to a zone-heavy, 4 man pressure, simple defence

what worries me a little about richard is that he actively discourages disguising coverage - cowboys defenders after he left criticised him a ton for showing no disguise at all pre-snap - iloka, awuzie

which is odd because dan quinn and gus bradley have no issues disguising coverage

Last edited:

JO_75

Hall of Famer
Damn it AB.... stop it. I mean let's be honest. Do we really think that his cousin is going to keep him from acting up if Tom Brady or Bill Belichick couldn't?

UPennChem

Hall of Famer
For those who know more than me, what I'd the defensive position group that is analogous to the TEs position group on offense?

Isn't it usually that TEs is most respected, highest paying, and usually the group you poach from to be OC?

Is DBs that group in D?