• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Signings, Cuts, Trades

Simba

Staff Member
The one position I'm slightly worried about is DL this year. Free agent class is pretty uninspiring overall. Draft has a couple of interior rushers at the top and then it devolves into your standard run of the mill guys it feels like. Might be the one position where I'm open to stop gapping this year and hitting hard next year.

rossihunter2

Staff Member

great room
washington's probably going to have to earn his way onto the team as a nickel/special teamer again - that injury was awful timing for him just as he was probably going to get a chance to play major snaps down the stretch (or at least during the covid game)

TJ if he plays special teams like he did when he came in at the end of the season is massive at the vet minimum

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
I'll be interested to see what happens in the first couple rounds of the draft. Taking another Corner like a Stingley means we can probably move Marlon into the slot more if we want to. One could make the case our best defenses in the last couple years have been with Marlon in the slot and Jimmy/Peters outside.

Or they could opt to go for a slot corner in the middle rounds.

My opinion of the first round has been the same... I want playmakers. I want people that can either create turnovers or score touchdowns... or both. Offensive lineman don't fit that mold. I'm not a big fan of taking Olineman in the first round that aren't LT's, and especially as high as 14.

I think a Corner or a Pass Rusher are likely to still be in play in the first round, unless we manage to land some like super-stud pass rusher like a Chandler Jones, which I highly doubt.

I think we'll get a Center here in FA and we'll target Tackles on day 2 and day 3.
I agree with everything that you are saying here except for one thing. I believe a top RT in the first round is almost if not just as important as a left tackle due to the best edge rushers we face line up on both sides of the ball, which wasn't as common years ago. I used to agree though and didn't like drafting OL in the first unless it was a LT. Of course there are those outliers like Zach Martin, etc....

rossihunter2

Staff Member
The one position I'm slightly worried about is DL this year. Free agent class is pretty uninspiring overall. Draft has a couple of interior rushers at the top and then it devolves into your standard run of the mill guys it feels like. Might be the one position where I'm open to stop gapping this year and hitting hard next year.

ive kind of felt that way for a while - if we dont hit the position with our 2nd or 3rd pick, we're probably looking at rotational run-stuffing noses at best after that

would be great if we could add a guy who can play the nose just so madubuike isnt alone down there

JAAM

Hall of Famer
lol why so aggressive lol - why shouldnt he go and see if he's got a market?
I'm just teasing lol.. I'd love him back. Tbh though at first I thought it was DeShon lol

JAAM

Hall of Famer

Grim

Ravens Ring of Honor
I have thought the same thing. Bringing back Campbell is nice same with Williams but those guys are eh to me. I would’ve really liked to get one in FA. I’d prefer a veteran DL to Edge tbh. I like this edge class at the top but DL is super thin, like thinner than LeBron’s hairline. Davis may be the best option for us, but if we’re talking Stingley man I don’t know there. That dude is special.

great room
washington's probably going to have to earn his way onto the team as a nickel/special teamer again - that injury was awful timing for him just as he was probably going to get a chance to play major snaps down the stretch (or at least during the covid game)

TJ if he plays special teams like he did when he came in at the end of the season is massive at the vet minimum

I low-key wonder if Clark could be cut in the near future. I know we put a premium there and he isn’t making a lot of money but I also know you normally don’t pay guys a lot on the backend let alone two guys. We also have some dudes like Stephens and Washington you’d like to get on the field too.

JO_75

Hall of Famer
lol why so aggressive lol - why shouldnt he go and see if he's got a market?

I thought the Giants would have been interested in him given they hired Wink. Hiring Wink means a lot will be dependent on the secondary and I was for sure he would end up there. Surprised he has no market.

JO_75

Hall of Famer
I have thought the same thing. Bringing back Campbell is nice same with Williams but those guys are eh to me. I would’ve really liked to get one in FA. I’d prefer a veteran DL to Edge tbh. I like this edge class at the top but DL is super thin, like thinner than LeBron’s hairline. Davis may be the best option for us, but if we’re talking Stingley man I don’t know there. That dude is special.

I low-key wonder if Clark could be cut in the near future. I know we put a premium there and he isn’t making a lot of money but I also know you normally don’t pay guys a lot on the backend let alone two guys. We also have some dudes like Stephens and Washington you’d like to get on the field too.

He's under contract through 2023, only one more year left after this and I imagine he'll look for a big pay day come 2024.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
I thought the Giants would have been interested in him given they hired Wink. Hiring Wink means a lot will be dependent on the secondary and I was for sure he would end up there. Surprised he has no market.
I thought they may go after Elliott and Averett along with maybe Bynes and Fort for inexpensive signingns.

Grim

Ravens Ring of Honor
He's under contract through 2023, only one more year left after this and I imagine he'll look for a big pay day come 2024.
Yeah I know. He’s pretty cheap so I imagine we keep him but I also wonder if there’s just a logjam too. Maybe we just play more DB heavy sets with less LBs.

JAAM

Hall of Famer

Grim

Ravens Ring of Honor
I meant the Giants due to Wink. Thought I typed Giants in the post.
Ahhhh yeah I see your point. Hopefully they do, I liked DeShon as a better version of Matt Elam. I think he deserves a shot and liked his personality but he can definitely follow Wink to NYG. It would be great for NYG to overpay but probably not. I don’t think any of our guys will really get us big comps.

Speaking of which, where are our 2022 comps???

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
I agree with everything that you are saying here except for one thing. I believe a top RT in the first round is almost if not just as important as a left tackle due to the best edge rushers we face line up on both sides of the ball, which wasn't as common years ago. I used to agree though and didn't like drafting OL in the first unless it was a LT. Of course there are those outliers like Zach Martin, etc....
Well I think Guards are closing the gap on RT's in general because most of your QBs are more mobile these days and they can escape an edge rusher that they see coming right in front of them. It's the interior pocket collapsers who are more valuable these days, as well as the rushers you can't see.