• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Signings, Cuts, Trades

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
I have thought the same thing. Bringing back Campbell is nice same with Williams but those guys are eh to me. I would’ve really liked to get one in FA. I’d prefer a veteran DL to Edge tbh. I like this edge class at the top but DL is super thin, like thinner than LeBron’s hairline. Davis may be the best option for us, but if we’re talking Stingley man I don’t know there. That dude is special.

I low-key wonder if Clark could be cut in the near future. I know we put a premium there and he isn’t making a lot of money but I also know you normally don’t pay guys a lot on the backend let alone two guys. We also have some dudes like Stephens and Washington you’d like to get on the field too.
Clark's not being paid a lot. His cap hit this year and next year are $4.6M and $5.1M. That's not a lot for a starting safety, and even an average one. Maybe he doesn't get re-signed after that, but there's no financial sense to cut him this year, and not a ton next year either.

People forget his extension was at like $5M per year. It was extremely team friendly.

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
The one position I'm slightly worried about is DL this year. Free agent class is pretty uninspiring overall. Draft has a couple of interior rushers at the top and then it devolves into your standard run of the mill guys it feels like. Might be the one position where I'm open to stop gapping this year and hitting hard next year.
Well, I'm assuming Campbell's gonna come back. Maybe he doesn't, but I'm assuming he is until proven otherwise. That leaves him, Wolfe and Madubuike, and I think we'll draft at least one, maybe two more.

We really need youth in that unit, so I'm fine with most of our acquisitions there being in the draft. We've been using veterans to supplement that unit for seemingly like a decade now. Its time to get some young blood in there. Especially as interior rushers.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
think rhyan's probably a guard and i while i dont get it, raimann is consistently getting mocked in R1

but yeah day 2 has a ton of tackles and projected guards who've played tackle in college - if we could somehow land Faalele, Tyler Smith or Rasheed Walker that would be awesome

worst case might be someone like jamaree salyer who projects to be a guard but may well have 5 position flexibility in a pinch (would be interested if we drafted him to see if we think about converting him to C where he started a game or 2 in 2019)
I think rhyan could play RT, he’s got G length but has tackle quickness

Simba

Staff Member
Well, I'm assuming Campbell's gonna come back. Maybe he doesn't, but I'm assuming he is until proven otherwise. That leaves him, Wolfe and Madubuike, and I think we'll draft at least one, maybe two more.

We really need youth in that unit, so I'm fine with most of our acquisitions there being in the draft. We've been using veterans to supplement that unit for seemingly like a decade now. Its time to get some young blood in there. Especially as interior rushers.

Yeah my concern was less about FA and more about the draft in that there really isn't much out there this year. That's why I'm fine with guys like Campbell, Wolfe, Ellis, etc. for this year if I have to. I'd want to get younger there but the options are pretty slim.

Grim

Ravens Ring of Honor
Clark's not being paid a lot. His cap hit this year and next year are $4.6M and $5.1M. That's not a lot for a starting safety, and even an average one. Maybe he doesn't get re-signed after that, but there's no financial sense to cut him this year, and not a ton next year either.

People forget his extension was at like $5M per year. It was extremely team friendly.
Yeah, I know. I even said as much in my posts. It wouldn’t be a financial cut. Players get cut for more than financial reasons

purplepittabread88

Staff Member
Administrator
I'm not sure we were really ever in on Wagner.

Will see about Bozeman.

ZaDarius is interesting because I don't know what his price point is.

Still think we're in play to use an early round pick on a Corner. Signing Williams doesn't change that.
I agree about early pick on corner but this could mean 2nd or 3rd round- the back of my head definitely thought we’d end up going corner in round one.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I have thought the same thing. Bringing back Campbell is nice same with Williams but those guys are eh to me. I would’ve really liked to get one in FA. I’d prefer a veteran DL to Edge tbh. I like this edge class at the top but DL is super thin, like thinner than LeBron’s hairline. Davis may be the best option for us, but if we’re talking Stingley man I don’t know there. That dude is special.

gotta take the guy you think is special and just work out everything else later

allblackraven

Hall of Famer

i wonder what we do about nickel - we know brandon stephens is gonna play a lot but are we gonna play him in the slot in nickel and them have him play safety in dime and drop chuck into the box as the dimebacker and put another corner on the field?

probably not gonna be playing stephens at outside corner so if we want marlon to play more inside then we still need to find another corner somewhere (maybe stingley - i can still dream right???)

Draft Marcus Jones.

Take Stingley if he's somehow available at #14 (I doubt it), then draft Marcus Jones.

allblackraven

Hall of Famer
That's a big deal. It's possible that the contract means he's not gonna have a huge cap hit this year and we can still make moves, but if we're done outside of like Ricard and Bynes now, I'd be upset.

Love the player individually, but I gotta see how the rest of FA goes to see if this was a good idea.
We just cannot do anything that would help our team more than load up on secondary.
Did you see the list of QBs and WRs in the AFC this season?

rossihunter2

Staff Member

the only awkward thing about that is that the DL class is a bit weaker than it might have been - feels like if you dont get one in the first 2 rounds then you're going to be left with a bunch of potentially rotational run-stuffers in day 3 after that - not a deep class at DL

which ultimately ill be fine with - if we find difference makers at edge and corner instead and have to wait another year to spend a high pick on IDL then so be it if that's the way it plays out

A1A

Veteran
I'm still sick Bowser tore his Achilles the final game of the season. I'm so bullish on him but I hope that injury doesn't hold him back. I agree, lots of opportunities to fill in the holes and we have some really good tackle depth.
Damn you just reminded me....that one hurt.

rossihunter2

Staff Member

what i love about this clip is that EDC clearly wanted to do it because otherwise we wouldnt have seen it - look at the blur/whiteout they put on the white board in the background

and is that pat moriarty he's spinning? the guy he notoriously has spent years pranking

but also id be pumped too if i'd just managed to acquire marcus williams in an open market at only the 7th highest aav for a safety in the league

purplepittabread88

Staff Member
Administrator
what i love about this clip is that EDC clearly wanted to do it because otherwise we wouldnt have seen it - look at the blur/whiteout they put on the white board in the background

and is that pat moriarty he's spinning? the guy he notoriously has spent years pranking

but also id be pumped too if i'd just managed to acquire marcus williams in an open market at only the 7th highest aav for a safety in the league
Jesus your posts are so insightful lol

Eric was like “hey guys film this”

SepticeyePoe

Hall of Famer
tbf this was fairly inevitable - he's got some medical concerns and we'd 100% want to use one of our visits to bring him in to do a medical check especially if we're thinking about drafting him at 14 and i really really really hope we are

but also OMG!!!!

the dream's still alive
I saw the replies say that 7 was Marcus Williams because 7 = 4 + 3, but I like that idea too