• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Signings, Cuts, Trades

UPennChem

Hall of Famer
Easily lol. Got lots of middling talent and the back end of the roster that can be easily replaced. Just off the top let’s say our 10 picks go to RB, TE, OT, C, DL, ILB, OLB (x2), CB (x2). Could even do double up at DL if you wanted. Could take a WR. Got plenty of space to add guys.
Yeah I hear you. At the same time though, it might make sense to be a little more aggressive and try and select maybe 7 players instead of 10, but a higher in the draft?

UPennChem

Hall of Famer
I don’t see how we can keep all 10 draft rookie + 1-2 undrafted rookie FAs on the 53. That’s why I hope we get aggressive and use some picks to move around. Either trade-ups or acquiring future picks.
Would hate to see another Ben Mason scenario.
This was my initial thought

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
if it's a league source so my guess is that's more of an "as it stands" kind of deal

depending on the structure, and depending on a marlon restructure and maybe a boykin release we've still got the ability to add a DL i think - completely depends on prices now

probably not splashing out on any more big-tier guys at this point but some mid-to-low priced guys are certainly still in play
One thing to note is that a Marlon restructure is probably just going to be enough to cover the rest of our offseason cap needs, i.e. signing draft picks, filling out the full roster (53 man + practice squad), and having some cushion going into the season. So his money really won't be "spendable" I would say.

With a Boykins cut/trade, depending on how these three contracts look, we probably have $3-5M to spend. Any additional spendable money would come from a Peters or Lamar extension, which we can't really bank on at this point.

Adreme

Ravens Ring of Honor
BPA baby
it's highly likely BPA is gonna be an EDGE or a CB and we probably arent going to have the luxury of choosing which one
and if it's not EDGE or CB it may well be Jordan Davis

and depending on who's around, there may well be corner BPA in the 2nd and 3rd and 4th - it's a strong and deep corner class - we may end up drafting multiple corners tbh
Or they would simply trade back if it is not at a position they would find useful which they like to do in Round 1 a lot.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Yeah I hear you. At the same time though, it might make sense to be a little more aggressive and try and select maybe 7 players instead of 10, but a higher in the draft?

as great as this free agency period has been, we do need to still find some more young talent to fill out the roster - we've had 2 or 3 drafts without finding significant contributions on day 3

and EDC said last offseason that we wanted to pick 20 guys over the next 2 classes - we only picked 8 last year and actively traded out of the 2021 class to acquire an extra (and better) pick in 2022

we may not trade down in R1 or even R2 but i imagine we'll be trading down at some point to acquire even more picks

i think that's the way EDC wants to try and maximise the roster for lamar even as we're going to start paying him a ton - draft as much young talent and lots of day 3 picks to try and find cheap young guys to fill out the roster and contribute

Adreme

Ravens Ring of Honor

expect to continue to see him reduce in side and rush against guards just like he did in his first stint here on 3rd down
the difference this time is he wont be stuck behind suggs and judon on early downs

Which does sort of raise the question as to how the pass rush is going to look. Are they really going to play Oweh, ZDS, and Bowser at the same time? They all basically are the best at the same situation: passing situations.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Or they would simply trade back if it is not at a position they would find useful which they like to do in Round 1 a lot.

they've done that a couple of times - they've also stuck at the pick even more times
they're not going to turn down a blue-chip talent in a class that's lacking them just to make sure they get a tier 3 guy at a position of need

and what would that even be?

is EDGE not still a need?
is CB not still a need?

i think they both are clearly still needs - so the 14th pick isnt wasted on a pick at those positions even with the ZDS signing

UPennChem

Hall of Famer
as great as this free agency period has been, we do need to still find some more young talent to fill out the roster - we've had 2 or 3 drafts without finding significant contributions on day 3

and EDC said last offseason that we wanted to pick 20 guys over the next 2 classes - we only picked 8 last year and actively traded out of the 2021 class to acquire an extra (and better) pick in 2022

we may not trade down in R1 or even R2 but i imagine we'll be trading down at some point to acquire even more picks

i think that's the way EDC wants to try and maximise the roster for lamar even as we're going to start paying him a ton - draft as much young talent and lots of day 3 picks to try and find cheap young guys to fill out the roster and contribute
Makes sense. Maybe we'll see more turnover on the backend of the roster than usual

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Which does sort of raise the question as to how the pass rush is going to look. Are they really going to play Oweh, ZDS, and Bowser at the same time? They all basically are the best at the same situation: passing situations.

eh?
ZDS is a 3 down player
Oweh is a 3 down player
Tyus is a 3 down player - he just didnt play 3 downs a lot until this year because we had bigger more violent edge setters and liked to keep him fresh for 2nd and 3rd down where he's a weapon

and the answer to your question is that yes, they will 100% use all 3 of them at the same time, and if we draft an EDGE high you'll probably see us use a racecar package on some 3rd downs and have all 4 guys on the field at once - ZDS offers inside versatility, Bowser offers LB versatility, Oweh can do basically whatever you want...

we've been putting multiple EDGE guys on the field for years

JAAM

Hall of Famer
Double M has to be licking his chops and Wink is somewhere punching the air because he can't put Oweh and ZDS back in coverage

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Makes sense. Maybe we'll see more turnover on the backend of the roster than usual

well remember we do have like 19 UFAs and we've re-signed none of them and that doesn't even include AV and levine who've both retired

there's already back-end of the roster spots open and we always try and have more than 53 guys we'd like to have on the 53 anyway

we'll definitely re-sign some of these back-end of the roster guys at or near vet minimum when they realise they dont have a market for sure but there's definitely turnover happening here

UPennChem

Hall of Famer
well remember we do have like 19 UFAs and we've re-signed none of them and that doesn't even include AV and levine who've both retired

there's already back-end of the roster spots open and we always try and have more than 53 guys we'd like to have on the 53 anyway

we'll definitely re-sign some of these back-end of the roster guys at or near vet minimum when they realise they dont have a market for sure but there's definitely turnover happening here
Yeah for sure. This is a little different than say the last 3 years. Probably for the better honestly.

Adreme

Ravens Ring of Honor
I really think what the Rams did has changed the way all teams will look at putting a team together for the future
Plenty of teams have tried the Rams model it just doesnt always work. The Saints were all in for a couple years and (thanks to getting screwed by the refs) did not make the Super Bowl. The Packers went all in to try and make it the past couple years and it did not work. Teams like the Titans went for it as well but to a smaller degree. The reason the NFC is going to be terrible next year is because of all the teams having to pay for going all in and failing.