• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Signings, Cuts, Trades

rossihunter2

Staff Member
No one can dispute that our best defenses have come in the Ray Lewis and CJ mosley eras compared to most recently. When we have an absolute unit of a guy with a high IQ at MLB our defense hums.

people talk about building defence front to back or back to front - ravens have always been at their best defensively when they have a strong middle (DT, LB, S)

rossihunter2

Staff Member
If you sign Bobby and Calais the defense will have gone from looking weak to getting pretty strong again.

Your DL
Campbell
Pierce
Wolfe
Madabuike
Washington
Probably add 1 guy

Your ILB
Queen
Wagner
Welch
Probably bring back Fort

Your Corners
Hump
Peters
Jimmy
Probably bring back Westry
Add 2 guys here

Your Pass Rushers
Oweh
Bowser
Ferguson
Probably add 2 guys here

The only position that's looking kinda rough if you add Bobby and Calais is pass rush. If you're not in on Linderbaum then why not trade up 2 spots or something if you can secure an elite edge rusher.

As I said before, if we lose out on Bobby, id love to see a Campbell and Gilmore signing.
FYI we dont have jimmy smith at corner
and also we do have daelin hayes also at edge

in this hypothetical situation (with calais and wagner added) you're definitely looking at CB and EDGE as your 2 biggest areas you can add impact value with high draft picks

westry would be a great guy to bring back in before the draft just to help you feel comfortable about a starting 3 at CB

the big option value that a calais re-signing creates is that you're not forced to find a young DT in a somewhat weak DT class

UPennChem

Hall of Famer
FYI we dont have jimmy smith at corner
and also we do have daelin hayes also at edge

in this hypothetical situation (with calais and wagner added) you're definitely looking at CB and EDGE as your 2 biggest areas you can add impact value with high draft picks

westry would be a great guy to bring back in before the draft just to help you feel comfortable about a starting 3 at CB

the big option value that a calais re-signing creates is that you're not forced to find a young DT in a somewhat weak DT class
Thanks for those edits yeah. I forgot Jimmy was FA. I wonder if they even want to bring him back. I don't think he was very good or healthy last year. Also would like to see Hayes get some playing time.

BoredMarine13

Ravens Ring of Honor
If you sign Bobby and Calais the defense will have gone from looking weak to getting pretty strong again.

Your Corners
Hump
Peters
Jimmy
Probably bring back Westry
Add 2 guys here

The only position that's looking kinda rough if you add Bobby and Calais is pass rush. If you're not in on Linderbaum then why not trade up 2 spots or something if you can secure an elite edge rusher.

As I said before, if we lose out on Bobby, id love to see a Campbell and Gilmore signing.
Idk man I'm really not comfortable with our current CB group based on injury concerns. It seems unlikely Marlo will be back and full speed by the fall. We all love Jimmy, but the thought of relying on him to start or play significant minutes is scary. Feels more and more the first pick will be going to a corner to bolster that unit.

UPennChem

Hall of Famer
Idk man I'm really not comfortable with our current CB group based on injury concerns. It seems unlikely Marlo will be back and full speed by the fall. We all love Jimmy, but the thought of relying on him to start or play significant minutes is scary. Feels more and more the first pick will be going to a corner to bolster that unit.
Corner is definitely weak don't get me wrong, but at least it's good at the top of the depth chart. The same js not true at pass rusher.

Marlon will be healthy week 1 definitely.

We're all praying for Stingley to drop

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Thanks for those edits yeah. I forgot Jimmy was FA. I wonder if they even want to bring him back. I don't think he was very good or healthy last year. Also would like to see Hayes get some playing time.

i think jimmy's probably just gonna retire tbh
think the ravens have moved on (and it looked inevitable they would for most of the year)

the timing with hayes was so frustrating because he got injured literally the first game he was active and there was clearly a plan for him - he played 1 defensive snap in all of the first 4 drives and all in obvious pass rushing situations on 3rd and long (mostly drive-ending snaps) - 1st he was the pick player on a stunt where he rushed inside, 2nd he dropped into coverage (nice reading in the zone) off the edge, 3rd he rushed off the edge from a wide-9, 4th he rushed from wide again and this time beat penei sewell 1v1 with a chop-dip-rip move to flush Goff

all 4 were drive ending plays

he's someone i really wish we'd got to see more through the season but a knee injury (which i think he got chasing down goff after the pressure on that 4th snap) - he was a guy i really liked coming out of notre dame and was someone throughout the process who just screamed "raven" - think it was also @JoeyFlex5 who thought the same too

i hope he gets healthy and has a good offseason - would hate to see the ravens give up on someone who showed flashes of promise

EDIT:
just found this breakdown of the 2nd snap:

Last edited:

UPennChem

Hall of Famer
i think jimmy's probably just gonna retire tbh
think the ravens have moved on (and it looked inevitable they would for most of the year)

the timing with hayes was so frustrating because he got injured literally the first game he was active and there was clearly a plan for him - he played 1 defensive snap in all of the first 4 drives and all in obvious pass rushing situations on 3rd and long (mostly drive-ending snaps) - 1st he was the pick player on a stunt where he rushed inside, 2nd he dropped into coverage (nice reading in the zone) off the edge, 3rd he rushed off the edge from a wide-9, 4th he rushed from wide again and this time beat penei sewell 1v1 with a chop-dip-rip move to flush Goff

all 4 were drive ending plays

he's someone i really wish we'd got to see more through the season but a knee injury (which i think he got chasing down goff after the pressure on that 4th snap) - he was a guy i really liked coming out of notre dame and was someone throughout the process who just screamed "raven" - think it was also @JoeyFlex5 who thought the same too

i hope he gets healthy and has a good offseason - would hate to see the ravens give up on someone who showed flashes of promise

EDIT:
just found this breakdown of the 2nd snap:

Really cool stuff! There's no reason to believe he won't be healthy at the start of camp right?

Edgar

Ravens Ring of Honor
people talk about building defence front to back or back to front - ravens have always been at their best defensively when they have a strong middle (DT, LB, S)
DeCosta mentioned being "strong up the middle" in his combine presser. we definitely need a Mike LB and it could be a hint so far as J. Davis

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Really cool stuff! There's no reason to believe he won't be healthy at the start of camp right?

i dont see why not but he does have some issues with injuries going all the way back to high-school (albeit those are mostly shoulder issues and his 2021 season were knee and ankle problems - needed a knee procedure iirc)

but it is interesting that many have completely forgotten about him despite his standout 2021 offseason and preseason - obviously you cant rely and plan on him to be part of the solution to our edge rush issues given he only had 4 snaps and is a day 3 pick going into year 2 but he might be

JAAM

Hall of Famer
Let’s see if these two aren’t full of shit

JAAM

Hall of Famer
i just dont see this guy as particularly credible... very happy to be wrong though
The Lou Merloni guy is who I’m looking at because of all his followers

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
one thing that gets me is the Ravens leak very little information and if they do, it's done on purpose. Not sure this would be one of those times. As much as I want this to be true, I'm not sure yet.