• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Signings, Cuts, Trades

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
literally sounds like youre agreeing with me but ight
Partially. I'm not really agreeing that we got beat on big plays in the secondary because our Safeties were crap though. I don't think film would show that but for a few instances.
I think if I saw Safeties getting get beat on Cover 2 schemes or coverages that are literally designed to keep plays in front of you, then yes, I'd be heavily concerned. I don't recall seeing a lot of that.
But ultimately if you're a Safety and you're not great in coverage, you need to make plays to cover for that (sacks, forcing fumbles, interceptions, etc.). They didn't do enough of that, and everybody already knew that.

Deebo813

Hall of Famer
They’re both very good strong safeties, neither excel in deep zone coverage, and our all pro corners mostly played man with no deep safety behind them, hence getting beat deep.
deep zone, mid zone, flat, man to man… them boys were below avg at all cvg skills, which is like 90% of a S job… they were the sorensons for our team lmaoo

Reactions: cdp

Deebo813

Hall of Famer
Partially. I'm not really agreeing that we got beat on big plays in the secondary because our Safeties were crap though. I don't think film would show that but for a few instances.
I think if I saw Safeties getting get beat on Cover 2 schemes or coverages that are literally designed to keep plays in front of you, then yes, I'd be heavily concerned. I don't recall seeing a lot of that.
But ultimately if you're a Safety and you're not great in coverage, you need to make plays to cover for that (sacks, forcing fumbles, interceptions, etc.). They didn't do enough of that, and everybody already knew that.
They didnt do anything enough though…. well they were good at blitzing like just like jamal adams Loved elliot in our only playoff win vs titans though.

Last edited:

rossihunter2

Staff Member
deep zone, mid zone, flat, man to man… them boys were below avg at all cvg skills, which is like 90% of a S job… they were the sorensons for our team lmaoo

we werent getting beat in coverage conventionally though - most of the big plays we gave up (at least earlier in the season) were largely miscommunications with a secondary that hadnt played together long

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
a large % of Clarks job was getting everyone into position, not coverage skills.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Understandable but thats not enough to keep him as a starter
not when you can draft Hamilton. You definitely need to play better players, but we haven't had money to improve the position over the last few seasons and with Clark. We did what we could, unfortunately Clark looked worse when he had to play FS each time Elliott went down with an injury, which was frequently.

Davesta

Ravens Ring of Honor
0B708840-F8D3-43CD-89D5-D2D910FCA81E.jpeg

Hmmm if he’s opting for surgery.. might’ve been a bad move posting a hunting pic of you carrying a 300lb bear over your shoulder. Not Gon look good for worker’s comp lol

RaineV1

Ravens Ring of Honor

BoredMarine13

Ravens Ring of Honor

Sandtown

Pro Bowler
Not really sure how I feel about Kyle Fuller. Theres still more to learn about him in regards to his skill set but man I kind of wish that Jimmy Smith could have been bought back. Like having that physical corner that can press bigger receivers just was so good to have in the secondary. When Marlon Humphrey was having trouble covering AJ Brown who is a physical receiver I remember The Ravens putting Jimmy Smith on him and Brown was having trouble freeing from his press coverage.

Simba

Staff Member
Not really sure how I feel about Kyle Fuller. Theres still more to learn about him in regards to his skill set but man I kind of wish that Jimmy Smith could have been bought back. Like having that physical corner that can press bigger receivers just was so good to have in the secondary. When Marlon Humphrey was having trouble covering AJ Brown who is a physical receiver I remember The Ravens putting Jimmy Smith on him and Brown was having trouble freeing from his press coverage.
Jimmy just didn’t have the juice last year. Abundantly clear that those injuries had caught up to him. Still physical at the line but looked like he was running in quicksand.

BoredMarine13

Ravens Ring of Honor
We could still bring him back. As long as he is willing to play for near vet min. Between the two of them we might actually get a full season