• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Signings, Cuts, Trades

Adreme

Ravens Ring of Honor
he isn't on the outside over 80% of the time. He's on the outside 73% of the time. Not to be specific, but I'm only going by what you deem to be an inside or outside WR.

I looked up from a source that said he lined up in the slot 16% of the time. I will be honest I am not sure where he lines up the other 84% but figured that there are not exactly a lot of places to line up. Now I am curious if given that he has lined up 16% in the slot

It is a very simple rule though if you are playing a heavy majority of your snaps at a position, that is your position. If you play the bulk of your snaps in the slot you are a slot WR (or slot CB). If you play the majority on the outside you are not.

Adreme

Ravens Ring of Honor
Just out of curiosity... where did the 80% come from? Is that just arbitrary?
Mostly asking because the NFL would identify your position based on where you play 50.1% of the snaps, not 80% of the snaps.
The 80% was again in reference to AJ Brown. He has played 16.2% of his snaps in the slot for his career which would presumably mean he spent over 80% on the outside and despite that he was called a slot WR here by someone which did not make sense. Your position is where you line up the most. I would agree with the 50.1% but was using the 80% to reference Brown.

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
I looked up from a source that said he lined up in the slot 16% of the time. I will be honest I am not sure where he lines up the other 84% but figured that there are not exactly a lot of places to line up. Now I am curious if given that he has lined up 16% in the slot

It is a very simple rule though if you are playing a heavy majority of your snaps at a position, that is your position. If you play the bulk of your snaps in the slot you are a slot WR (or slot CB). If you play the majority on the outside you are not.
Right except those designations really only matter to fans. Coaches don't (obviously) think like that or even care about that stuff.
So may usual question... if coaches don't care, why should fans care?
You really think Harbaugh is sitting out there thinking to himself "hey guys, we've gotta play Marlon less in the slot, because that's not how he's "designated""? LOL, no.
This isn't rocket science. Marlon played a lot of slot when Tavon was hurt and we didn't have a better option to play slot. They didn't send Jimmy Smith to the bench and put Marlon outside with a weaker slot corner because "Marlon's contract says hes an outside corner".
If they think Fuller or Stephens or really anybody on the roster is ideal for the slot role, they'll play there, and Marlon will play outside. If all of those guys suck and are better on the outside, and we're struggling defending slot receivers, its a foregone conclusion they'll move Marlon down to cover it. And no, they won't care about how much he's paid or ask him to take a paycut because he's playing a lot of slot.
Coaches just don't care.

Adreme

Ravens Ring of Honor
Right except those designations really only matter to fans. Coaches don't (obviously) think like that or even care about that stuff.
So may usual question... if coaches don't care, why should fans care?
You really think Harbaugh is sitting out there thinking to himself "hey guys, we've gotta play Marlon less in the slot, because that's not how he's "designated""? LOL, no.
This isn't rocket science. Marlon played a lot of slot when Tavon was hurt and we didn't have a better option to play slot. They didn't send Jimmy Smith to the bench and put Marlon outside with a weaker slot corner because "Marlon's contract says hes an outside corner".
If they think Fuller or Stephens or really anybody on the roster is ideal for the slot role, they'll play there, and Marlon will play outside. If all of those guys suck and are better on the outside, and we're struggling defending slot receivers, its a foregone conclusion they'll move Marlon down to cover it. And no, they won't care about how much he's paid or ask him to take a paycut because he's playing a lot of slot.
Coaches just don't care.

GMs clearly care because they are not paying slot WRs/slot CBs big money even if they are the focal point of the offense/defense. The best slot CBs in the NFL are making under 10m per year and they play a large number of snaps. As established they are clearly starters playing lots of snaps but they are still making half of what the outside guys make.

So if you are going to pay someone to play a position at double the market rate you are basically wasting money (especially when as good as Marlon is he isnt the best slot CB in the league).

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
GMs clearly care because they are not paying slot WRs/slot CBs big money even if they are the focal point of the offense/defense. The best slot CBs in the NFL are making under 10m per year and they play a large number of snaps. As established they are clearly starters playing lots of snaps but they are still making half of what the outside guys make.

So if you are going to pay someone to play a position at double the market rate you are basically wasting money (especially when as good as Marlon is he isnt the best slot CB in the league).
Two different things. Are those players playing outside also? Not really. They get paid less because they're far less effective at playing outside or can't at all. In most cases, it's a size issue, because most of your slot corners are prototypically smaller in size. The fear is they'll get bullied on the outside by bigger receivers.
Paying top dollar for an outside Corner who can also play the slot doesn't appear to be an issue for any NFL GMs/Coaches I see, considering many of them do just that. We've already talked about how Marlon does, how Ramsey does, etc.

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor

Also you might want to separate slot WR from slot Corner in these discussions. Slot WRs have very little difference in compensation from others. Frankly there's very little such thing as a "slot" WR anymore, because most teams entire passing game schemes are based on creating mismatches for their playmakers.
But obviously as you look around the league, Tyreek Hill, Cooper Kupp, Keenan Allen, Tyler Lockett, Adam Thielen, Chris Godwin, and several others are all "primarily" slot receivers. Compensation gaps don't really exist in that group compared to others.

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor

Not to mention the fact that once the contract has been handed out, its largely sunk costs for several years, so it really doesn't matter how you use him.
They could sign Jalen Ramsey at $20M a year, but if the best usage on that team is for him to play slot, so be it. Compensation won't change that decision, because it literally can't. They can't restructure a contract they just signed because he's playing the slot. The player would never agree to it, and the team has no leverage.

Also implies that the entire market feels the same way. It's not like there's going to be universal agreement on an ideal position group for a player who can play both spots. Just because the Ravens think Marlon is better outside doesn't mean another team will, and it doesn't mean he's double the rate because of that. It just means NFL teams won't perceive that he can only play slot, based on a combination of size and what he's previously shown on film.

Deebo813

Hall of Famer
Good. Not very good. They're different.
Chuck and Elliott were a serviceable Safety unit that wouldn't cost team games but also wouldn't win them. They're the textbook definition of "upgradeable".
If you play behind two all pro cbs and still dnt make plays, you arent even good in book but thats just me

Reactions: cdp

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
If you play behind two all pro cbs and still dnt make plays, you arent even good in book but thats just me
Yes, that's just you.
For me it doesn't really matter because if I have All-Pro Corners, why do I also need All-Pro Safeties as playmakers?
There's plenty of teams that wins heaps of games in this league that don't have high-end Safety play.

BoredMarine13

Ravens Ring of Honor

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator

I can tell you exactly where he lines up based on slot / wide (right or left side) for any player. Last year you don't have a full season anyway, but again the way you look at slot cb is so antiquated.

Marlon Humphrey lined up in the box on 81 plays. He lined up in the slot 204 times and he lined up as a boundary corner 443 times.

This totally messes up the "@Adreme 80% Rule"

Last edited:

Deebo813

Hall of Famer
Yes, that's just you.
For me it doesn't really matter because if I have All-Pro Corners, why do I also need All-Pro Safeties as playmakers?
There's plenty of teams that wins heaps of games in this league that don't have high-end Safety play.
We had all pro cbs and was getting killed deep, killed by tightends and the whole 9 like our safeties werent even there.. ravens must think we need good safeties too if just upgraded from the two guys who are supposedly good.. dnt need them to be all pro but atleast they need to be actually “ good”

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
We had all pro cbs and was getting killed deep, killed by tightends and the whole 9 like our safeties werent even there.. ravens must think we need good safeties too if just upgraded from the two guys who are supposedly good.. dnt need them to be all pro but atleast they need to be actually “ good”
Well how many of those times were the Safeties in the box or blitzing using one of Wink's infamous Cover Zero looks?
And how many of those long plays were not really long plays at all, but merely short-to-intermediate routes with poor tackling that turned into big plays?
Neither Elliott nor Clark were great in coverage. Everybody knew that. There's more to Safety play than just coverage skills, and that was never more evident than in Wink's defense.
Clark was always better suited for a Dime-Linebacker, line-of-scrimmage Safety role, and Elliott was really never designed to be the starter to begin with. Remember he only took over that role because Earl Thomas decided to go full-on psychopath.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
They’re both very good strong safeties, neither excel in deep zone coverage, and our all pro corners mostly played man with no deep safety behind them, hence getting beat deep.

Deebo813

Hall of Famer
Well how many of those times were the Safeties in the box or blitzing using one of Wink's infamous Cover Zero looks?
And how many of those long plays were not really long plays at all, but merely short-to-intermediate routes with poor tackling that turned into big plays?
Neither Elliott nor Clark were great in coverage. Everybody knew that. There's more to Safety play than just coverage skills, and that was never more evident than in Wink's defense.
Clark was always better suited for a Dime-Linebacker, line-of-scrimmage Safety role, and Elliott was really never designed to be the starter to begin with. Remember he only took over that role because Earl Thomas decided to go full-on psychopath.
literally sounds like youre agreeing with me but ight