• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Signings, Cuts, Trades

Michael M.

Pro Bowler
Yeah but doesn't that seem kinda ridiculous? Maybe if the Bears are willing to swap Smith for Harrison and 3rd. Or maybe if they're willing to swap Powers and 3rd. But otherwise I don't see how it's really possible. Especially if we're still looking to bring in a WR.

Does anyone know if the Tucker extension did anything for us cap wise?
I think it depends on how strong the staff feels we are at ILB. After losing out on Z. Smith to get a young quality pass rusher for a third and powers to me is worth it.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Kinda confused by this. Zadarius and Roquan don't play the same position. Roquan would be a Bynes Replacement
and Roquan is 9.75m in his 5th yr option. He's going to want atleast 14 to 15m to keep him in 2023. I'd rather not spend that money on him.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Lot of talk around the media with us as a top fit

i think the reason we're the "favourites" in the media is because most of the analysts have basically been looking at which potential contending teams have the thinnest LB groups with the least investment at the position and the ravens are top of that list so i get why

i think with the way the rest of the NFL is right now, the bears might not get the premium picks he's worth so could be a bargain that way (vs what he would otherwise be) as long as you can pay him fred warner money

i think the ravens can do that if they want to - would likely mean a ronnie stanley restructure and a somewhat backloaded roquan deal but he's the kind of superstar player you do this for if you can make it work

would be a little awkward signing him before lamar if it happened but definitely doable and would turn one of our weakest positions into a 3 down playmaking strength

rossihunter2

Staff Member
and Roquan is 9.75m in his 5th yr option. He's going to want atleast 14 to 15m to keep him in 2023. I'd rather not spend that money on him.

idk i think id happily spend that sort of money on that kind of top-end talent
true 3 down playmaking LBs are so rare and so valuable when you have one... there's a reason fred warner and shaquille leonard got paid the money they did and i think roquan smith is in that group of elite LBs

UPennChem

Hall of Famer
true 3 down playmaking LBs are so rare and so valuable when you have one... there's a reason fred warner and shaquille leonard got paid the money they did and i think roquan smith is in that group of elite LBs
I'm not anti paying for Smith, but like I'd rather give that money to a WR or Marcus Peters and Lamar. Idk the Ravens know best here. Might be a nice way to get Ben Powers off the books

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
maybe, but we'd have to extend him now or restructure someone to even fit him under the cap. Depends on what we would have to give up in the trade as well.

UPennChem

Hall of Famer
maybe, but we'd have to extend him now or restructure someone to even fit him under the cap. Depends on what we would have to give up in the trade as well.
Yeah you know how we used to say for a while we couldn't hit on second rounders? Well I think Ozzie passed that over to Decosta but with 3rd rounders.

Ferguson
Boykin
Duvernay
Cleveland
Others

Get the man away from the 3rd round and use it to get Roquan or some other vet that can help this team

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Yeah you know how we used to say for a while we couldn't hit on second rounders? Well I think Ozzie passed that over to Decosta but with 3rd rounders.

Ferguson
Boykin
Duvernay
Cleveland
Others

Get the man away from the 3rd round and use it to get Roquan or some other vet that can help this team
this years 3rd rounder, Travis Jones, hopefully will change that.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I'm not anti paying for Smith, but like I'd rather give that money to a WR or Marcus Peters and Lamar. Idk the Ravens know best here. Might be a nice way to get Ben Powers off the books

it's not gonna be roquan vs lamar though
it may well be roquan vs peters but as much as i love peters, roquan's a special talent in his prime

and if you can find me a WR to pay that money then fine... but idk who that is right now - deebo, dk and mclaurin all got paid by their own teams

would feel a little like the marcus williams signing and maybe even the marcus peters trade where it's rare you get a chance at a player like that for the price you might get them at - roquan will cost a bunch but he's gonna be cheaper (at least in draft capital terms) than he was 5 months ago - and it would be an ideal ben powers landing spot too given their supposed starting right guard atm is michael schofield (who didnt even make our 53 last year)

rossihunter2

Staff Member

im assuming we'd be extending him but he's only ~9m this year and the signing bonus will tack a little on that but the ravens can restructure this year's money and move it into the future to bring this year's number down

and we can still do a pretty painless restructure of ronnie stanley without adding any extra guaranteed money to his deal if we're comfortable with him health-wise

+ we've got the ben powers 2m if we're desperate also...

im not saying we should make this happen at all costs - just that, if we really love the guy and think he's a potential building block who as a 3 down playmaking LB can elevate this defence then there's nothing preventing us from doing that if we want him (as long as the draft capital is right)

UPennChem

Hall of Famer
it's not gonna be roquan vs lamar though
it may well be roquan vs peters but as much as i love peters, roquan's a special talent in his prime

and if you can find me a WR to pay that money then fine... but idk who that is right now - deebo, dk and mclaurin all got paid by their own teams

would feel a little like the marcus williams signing and maybe even the marcus peters trade where it's rare you get a chance at a player like that for the price you might get them at - roquan will cost a bunch but he's gonna be cheaper (at least in draft capital terms) than he was 5 months ago - and it would be an ideal ben powers landing spot too given their supposed starting right guard atm is michael schofield (who didnt even make our 53 last year)
Agreed on all points here. AJ Brown was the only WR that was able to be traded for. DJ Moore was also locked up. It's like to go get a receiver now you have to look at someone like Darnell Mooney who's a good player but not a Roquan Smith player.

I'm wondering if the Bears are actually even entertaining the trade.

UPennChem

Hall of Famer
F

Is there a WR out there who's even worth that kind of money?
See one post above. Probably not is the answer. Concessions need to be made somewhere. I agree with Rossi that if you extend Smith, you're probably moving on from Peters. I kinda think I'd like to keep Peters in that situation. Idk just my opinion though

Michael M.

Pro Bowler
See one post above. Probably not is the answer. Concessions need to be made somewhere. I agree with Rossi that if you extend Smith, you're probably moving on from Peters. I kinda think I'd like to keep Peters in that situation. Idk just my opinion though
If it meant moving on from a hopefully healthy Peters, I would have to agree. Good point!

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Agreed on all points here. AJ Brown was the only WR that was able to be traded for. DJ Moore was also locked up. It's like to go get a receiver now you have to look at someone like Darnell Mooney who's a good player but not a Roquan Smith player.

I'm wondering if the Bears are actually even entertaining the trade.

they may have to with roquan - he's clearly not happy and they just escalated the situation dramatically by activating him off PUP and now potentially having to fine him if he holds out - if they don't trade him or pay him now they're stuck