• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Signings, Cuts, Trades

Simba

Staff Member
2 most important players in turning the browns around are now either gone or completely disillusioned

jarvis landry was massively instrumental in changing the culture inside that building by setting the standard and not accepting anyone not living up to that standard

and baker came in and energised the city and as you say embraced the browns and won them a playoff game - not saying he's the long-term option nor should they have thought he was but they've turned a spark of goodwill that helped turn them around into something sour
Exactly. I know Baker gets clowned for being whiny and a dick but it's almost like they forgot the Brandon Weedens and Colt McCoys and DeShone Kizers that came before him. It could be so much worse.

Michael M.

Pro Bowler
Exactly. I know Baker gets clowned for being whiny and a dick but it's almost like they forgot the Brandon Weedens and Colt McCoys and DeShone Kizers that came before him. It could be so much worse.
The irony is Mayfield may be the next Watson by refusing to play.. I think Matt Ryan also wants out now too

rossihunter2

Staff Member

100% and that attitude made him interesting - he was allowed to be a character and that was perfect for changing the image of the browns

when i said last season that burrow is everything baker thought he was, that was a compliment

in a league that tolerates and in fact welcomes and profits the presence of domestic abusers and sexual assaulters regularly, the idea that the real villains are slightly cocky dudes like baker has always been cognitively dissonant to me

ive always felt sorry for the browns but never really hated them because that felt like kicking people when they're down - but i cant get behind the narrative that deshaun watson is good baker mayfield is bad - because fuck that energy

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Nothing cryptic about it - EDC was pissed at whomever asked it because of disrespect to Moses. That presser was about a new signing, not for headline chasing.

100% - i really think it had nothing to do with the ZDS signing - people point to it in hindsight but i think it's pretty clear that the conference was about moses and it wasnt really the appropriate time to ask

Simba

Staff Member
100% and that attitude made him interesting - he was allowed to be a character and that was perfect for changing the image of the browns

when i said last season that burrow is everything baker thought he was, that was a compliment

in a league that tolerates and in fact welcomes and profits the presence of domestic abusers and sexual assaulters regularly, the idea that the real villains are slightly cocky dudes like baker has always been cognitively dissonant to me

ive always felt sorry for the browns but never really hated them because that felt like kicking people when they're down - but i cant get behind the narrative that deshaun watson is good baker mayfield is bad - because fuck that energy
Agreed. I like Baker and appreciate the type of guy he is. Hell, if he was our QB we'd love that cockiness and big dick energy. He's the type of villain you want as an opponent though. No matter how they try to paint him, he leaves it all of the field and that's why I do respect him.

I also don't view Baker as some superstar or anything but he was a far better QB before he got hurt last year and there have been lots of reports that he played a lot more hurt than he let on. They're downgrading with virtually any of the other available options at this point.

Simba

Staff Member

this is kind of where im at with it too at EDGE - basically Clowney or nothing for me at this point - and if it's nothing then that's fine too

I'd take a swing at an older rotation edge for a low dollar amount but I'm not diverting my attention to a dude like Trey Flowers or anything like that.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Agreed. I like Baker and appreciate the type of guy he is. Hell, if he was our QB we'd love that cockiness and big dick energy. He's the type of villain you want as an opponent though. No matter how they try to paint him, he leaves it all of the field and that's why I do respect him.

I also don't view Baker as some superstar or anything but he was a far better QB before he got hurt last year and there have been lots of reports that he played a lot more hurt than he let on. They're downgrading with virtually any of the other available options at this point.

i mean you could see it in his velocity after the shoulder injury - baker's got a cannon but was struggling to throw comebacks on time... like maybe the issue is he never gets that back but idk that anyone's suggested that at all but it was clear he was playing hurt for most of the season

29BmoreBird22

Staff Member
Writer
that last bit i dont really buy - like ZDS and his agent are not stupid (or at least i dont think they are), i dont get how they could mess up their own perception of his value so badly... like no one in their right mind thought he would sign for less than 10m/yr and 11 or 12 probably seemed like the realistic low bar and he signed for less than 9m

i dont get how they misjudged that so badly - like it's not surprising that chandler jones and von miller got paid like top EDGEs in the league because they are - ZDS accepted a deal that that was like 30th in the league - i dont get what changed realistically

that's my only real confusion about this - not that he wants more money, but why they agreed to that figure in the first place
How did they mess up his valuation that badly? I have no idea. Maybe teams were offering prove it deals with high incentives? Maybe the Ravens were the only team to offer a long term agreement?

I have zero idea how it got so twisted, but the reports seem to very strongly suggest that once Z saw Von and Chandler's deals, he felt he could also get more.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I'd take a swing at an older rotation edge for a low dollar amount but I'm not diverting my attention to a dude like Trey Flowers or anything like that.

i guess what i mean is that i dont want to see us invest in an older guy - if we get someone like houston here on a 2m or similar deal like houston last year then sure

but also if we do bring in a guy i would like them to have interior flex versatility as a rusher because while Oweh was put inside some last year i dont think that's where he'll thrive and bowser can line up there but he's not gonna be rushing most of the time if he's lined up between the tackles lol, that dude's gonna drop right into your 1st read from being lined up at 1 tech

Simba

Staff Member
How did they mess up his valuation that badly? I have no idea. Maybe teams were offering prove it deals with high incentives? Maybe the Ravens were the only team to offer a long term agreement?

I have zero idea how it got so twisted, but the reports seem to very strongly suggest that once Z saw Von and Chandler's deals, he felt he could also get more.

If I had to guess, this is what they messed up on. While everyone was chasing after the two big dogs, Z and his agent felt a lighter than expected market and once a decent multi-year offer came in, they pounced. And then when the two big dogs fell in line shortly thereafter, they saw that (a) they probably fucked up on the money and (b) they also went to unexpected teams and some of the other teams at the forefront of those chases now might have some more money to spend on a guy like Z as a consolation prize. In short, they weren't patient enough.

JAAM

Hall of Famer
Fletcher Cox got released... I think he'd command more than Z, but that'd be a very strong get at a position of need.
This!!! I'd love to have him here