• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Signings, Cuts, Trades

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Yes agree, but the point was not effectiveness, simply how much they chose to run the ball because they were blowing out teams. I noted Beasley only had 14 targets with 13 catches in the 4th Qtr, I attributed a lot of that to the Bills changing the game plan being up by more than 14 points in the fourth qtr of 10 games.

I can't believe a spent so much time arguing about Cole Beasley .... dude would be a decent addition to what we have but nothing special. Just wanted to make sure certain folks are called out for blatant BS........ funny how quiet they get
I do like Beasley as a slot WR, but feel we already have that in Proche and would rather give him an opportunity. Proche can also play on the outside. I also was a fan of Wallace coming out in 2021. I'd prefer an older vet that can play on the outside vs Beasley though and the new TE's we just drafted should be able to take some of the pressure off of Andrews.

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
Not sure anybody left is a needle mover at this point. I just wanted someone who plays to Lamar’s strengths and takes the pressure off Andrews in the middle.

I think we’re all fooling ourselves with the Duv, Proche, and Wallace hopes. Duv i can get on board with as a poor mans Hill. Proche i love but its unfair to expect him to make the jump from 17 catches in two years to reliable WR3
Well, realistically, if you're going to draft these guys, you should probably play them at some point. Proche I get as a 6th rounder that maybe isn't ever going to be a stud, but if you're using 3rd and 4th rounders on guys, you've gotta expect more than just a kick returner and a gunner. I like ST, but we need more value from day 2-3 picks than just that.

I don't know that any of the three will stand out, and its entirely possible by mid-season we're all embarrassed by our WR core. But I don't know that signing an aging veteran and automatically playing them ahead of these guys is the answer either.

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
I understand this but I don't think any of these young receivers have shown enough to be counted out. I really think a guy like James Proche can be counted on in a starting role in this offense. The guy just works too hard and seems to take his job too seriously to get me thinking otherwise. He's seems to also be pretty mature as well. I think The Ravens may still sign a veteran wide receiver but it may not be the type of veteran that we may be expecting. I wouldn't be surprised if they just trade for young receiver that may be looked upon as bust on another team.

I'm not really concerned about the wide receiver group and I just think this group can really contribute this year. I wouldn't be surprised if one of the UDFA wideouts The Ravens signed make the team possibly have some what of Marlon Brown type season or be able to contributed like he did in his first rookie season.
My counter to that would be the same thing for like 25 years... if these guys were actually really good, they'd have been playing already. Like despite what some fans think, Ravens coaches are actually not in the business of putting worse players on the field intentionally.

I look at it this way... if Proche is as good as all the hype says he is, why wasn't he able to beat out Watkins for a role last year? Why was he so far down the depth chart in terms of actual WR contributions? Like at the very least, he should have been the #3 behind Bateman and Hollywood, and that means we should have seen him contributing early in the year when Bateman wasn't playing.

The regular season really isn't the ideal time to figure out whether guys can play or not. You can learn it obviously, but that's quite literally what OTAs, training camp, and the preseason are for. So if these guys aren't showing enough in those settings to warrant playing time over somebody like a Watkins, there's cause for concern.

Now, at the moment, there is no Watkins, so we really have zero options but to play these guys. But again, if we get into the August-September timeframe, and you see the Ravens frantically looking for veteran WR help, that could easily be a signal that they're not seeing enough from these guys on the practice field to warrant giving them 60,70,80 targets a year.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
They ranked 13th in the NFL (461)in rushing attempts…. How much more qualifies as running in your eyes?

Can you just admit you don’t like him becuase of his vaccine stance and that he was actually a decent WR, that even in his late stage career could help us based of his stats and past performance? It’s ok bro you don’t always have to be argumentative and right
I’m fine with Beasleys stance and I don’t want to add him, because frankly he doesn’t offer enough to justify it. I don’t flat out trust James proche to the point that I don’t wanna add a receiver, but if one of our top 3 wideouts is gonna be a unathletic slot guy, give me the guy that’s been practicing in this offense for 3 years and training all offseason with lamar, and has worked his ass off to earn his spot, and is young and full of fire.

I’d much rather take whatever cap space we would allocate to Beasley, and put it towards another signing where we (gasp) backload the rest to make a big impact this year and the next. Whether that be a big move like a DK, a modest move like a thielen, or an edge rusher that might find himself available.

I could be wrong and proche could be trash and Beasley could have a great year, but a slot receiver doesn’t add enough to this roster to justify the cap space. If proche wasn’t right there ready to go and we could use a slot guy, sure, but that’s obviously not the case

jboy19

Pro Bowler
I agree that slot receiver is an important part of the offense, but there are so many aging slot receivers on the market I see as being in the same place career-wise. Even if they need one, I don't think they'll rush to bring one in. I think the options they have (Andrews, Proche, Duvernay, Likely, Kolar- shit, even Slade Bolden) offer better long-term upside than anybody waiting to be signed.

BoredMarine13

Ravens Ring of Honor
I understand this but I don't think any of these young receivers have shown enough to be counted out. I really think a guy like James Proche can be counted on in a starting role in this offense. The guy just works too hard and seems to take his job too seriously to get me thinking otherwise. He's seems to also be pretty mature as well. I think The Ravens may still sign a veteran wide receiver but it may not be the type of veteran that we may be expecting. I wouldn't be surprised if they just trade for young receiver that may be looked upon as bust on another team.

I'm not really concerned about the wide receiver group and I just think this group can really contribute this year. I wouldn't be surprised if one of the UDFA wideouts The Ravens signed make the team possibly have some what of Marlon Brown type season or be able to contributed like he did in his first rookie season.
I hope your right and I can appreciate the glass half full approach. I just think were going to be extremely frustrated when these guys cant get separation and Lamar is locking in on his life line Andrews. Of course if we can reestablish the run game it takes a lot of pressure of the young WRs.

Biff Tannen

Practice Squad
I hope your right and I can appreciate the glass half full approach. I just think were going to be extremely frustrated when these guys cant get separation and Lamar is locking in on his life line Andrews. Of course if we can reestablish the run game it takes a lot of pressure of the young WRs.
I concur and I do have a feeling that our run game will be 'back' a bit this season if you will.

Tank

Hall of Famer
Hinging on how the Team feels about the slot guys we now have, I think Beasley could be a valuable, inexpensive add to the group. He’s dependable and experienced.

Last edited:

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
Well the thought is that if Hollywood and andrews can do well with no run game, Bateman and andrews do better with a run game. And based on 2019 when our wr talent was trash, I’d say that’s a justified belief.

Simba

Staff Member
I can understand wanting a WR but can’t understand Beasley being the one to go to bat for. Decent amount of yards but spaced over a lot of receptions. That YPC is pretty putrid and shows that there’s not much left other than getting open short and getting tackled almost immediately. Doesn’t really help us.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
They ranked 13th in the NFL (461)in rushing attempts…. How much more qualifies as running in your eyes?

Can you just admit you don’t like him becuase of his vaccine stance and that he was actually a decent WR, that even in his late stage career could help us based of his stats and past performance? It’s ok bro you don’t always have to be argumentative and right

you're the one seemingly obsessed with the guy lol

i dont like his vaccine stance, just like i dont like that stance from many of the other football players around the league including many on our own team last year...

my dislike of beasley as a football player and the fact that i think he's old and slow - he had the most targets of his career in that high-volume passing offence but he had the lowest average depth of target of his career, also the lowest yac per reception last year, the lowest yards/reception in general, he broke 0 tackles (not an exaggeration), his longest reception was 29 yards, he had 3 INTs when targeted

there's a reason the bills are "replacing" him with isaiah mckenzie in 2022... beasley was the 5th best wide receiver in terms of passer rating when targeted in 2021 on his own team behind diggs, sanders, davis and mckenzie

so his stats show he wasnt actually that good
his film shows that he wasnt actually good

to quote yourself "it's ok bro you don't always have to be argumentative and right"

just admit you want him because of his vaccine stance...

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
you're the one seemingly obsessed with the guy lol

i dont like his vaccine stance, just like i dont like that stance from many of the other football players around the league including many on our own team last year...

my dislike of beasley as a football player and the fact that i think he's old and slow - he had the most targets of his career in that high-volume passing offence but he had the lowest average depth of target of his career, also the lowest yac per reception last year, the lowest yards/reception in general, he broke 0 tackles (not an exaggeration), his longest reception was 29 yards, he had 3 INTs when targeted

there's a reason the bills are "replacing" him with isaiah mckenzie in 2022... beasley was the 5th best wide receiver in terms of passer rating when targeted in 2021 on his own team behind diggs, sanders, davis and mckenzie

so his stats show he wasnt actually that good
his film shows that he wasnt actually good

to quote yourself "it's ok bro you don't always have to be argumentative and right"

I don't really get the back and forth over the vaccine stance. It's kind of a moot point in society now. I highly doubt there will even be Covid protocols in the NFL next year, so vaccination status isn't likely to be meaningful at all.

purplepittabread88

Staff Member
Administrator
Will fuller is the only outside Wr that makes any sense for me - we have all routes from the inside hashes taken care of, but Duv isn’t a deep threat. But IMO, we will run with what we have and if it’s not clicking by week 4 maybe then we try and spring a trade. Finding a decent wr isn’t that hard as there are so many vets still decent. Maybe something happened at cut downs too

Deebo813

Hall of Famer
Well, realistically, if you're going to draft these guys, you should probably play them at some point. Proche I get as a 6th rounder that maybe isn't ever going to be a stud, but if you're using 3rd and 4th rounders on guys, you've gotta expect more than just a kick returner and a gunner. I like ST, but we need more value from day 2-3 picks than just that.

I don't know that any of the three will stand out, and its entirely possible by mid-season we're all embarrassed by our WR core. But I don't know that signing an aging veteran and automatically playing them ahead of these guys is the answer either.
Duv is also never going to be a stud… not even a stud kr imo

BoredMarine13

Ravens Ring of Honor
lol why would I care about his vaccine stance? Not exactly team anti vax over here with my vaccine and booster lol but ok guy

Deebo813

Hall of Famer
speaking of vaccines… i cant wait to tell my kids and grandkids about the era where people disliked and outed others because they didnt wanna take vaccine… then 1 yr later, those same people had nothing to say about their women family members rights being taken away…. Dnt respond guys, just wanted to let yall know that me and the fam gonna be laughing at you all lol