• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Signings, Cuts, Trades

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
"Details of the injury settlement are unclear, but the Ravens are expected to create some cap space with Wolfe’s departure."

per Zrebiec in his latest athletic article
so i guess there was some compromise on how much of the guaranteed money Wolfe got to keep
Will be interesting to see what that is. Can't imagine Wolfe would settle for pennies on the dollar.
What I guess is also possible is that maybe Wolfe is planning to play again and the Ravens told him there's little to no chance he makes the 53 when healthy, so he was getting cut anyway. Maybe he then decided he'd rather rehab as a FA and sign elsewhere later on.

Who knows.

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
Would be a nice pick up if possible

View attachment 3830
1. No way we afford his contract as is, and he clearly wants a raise.
2. I really don't understand his position. HE's still making almost $13M this year. Like I get he had a great season last year, but he's also 32, that was one of better seasons he's had in a long time, and he's still got three years left on his contract.

These guys signing 5 years deals and holding out by the 3rd are just laughably stupid.

Old Bay

Veteran
I also just don't really see why McLaurin would be on the market or why Washington would trade him. Feels like a very straight forward contact extension coming for him in the next few months.

The only reason is because people are reporting the sides are extremely far apart. Who knows how accurate that is, but that's what they're saying
From what I've read, they're still figuring out his comp. Once they agree on that, an offer will follow. I think they're waiting for something to happen with DK first.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
I truly don't think we are going to be able to trade for McLaurin, but it won't be for the lack of trying. I just feel they don't want to let him go. He's the best receiver they have drafted since Art Monk.

RL52TheGreatest

Ravens Ring of Honor
I truly don't think we are going to be able to trade for McLaurin, but it won't be for the lack of trying. I just feel they don't want to let him go. He's the best receiver they have drafted since Art Monk.

They need at least one player worth watching on their offense to get people to go to their shitty stadium

RL52TheGreatest

Ravens Ring of Honor
I was a season ticket holder for 11 seasons and calling it a shitty stadium is the biggest understatement. Absolutely pathetic piece of crap.

When parts of your stadium break and literally injure fans then there's a problem. Also, countless players have gotten injured because of their terrible field conditions.

marklar

Pro Bowler
Regarding trading for high cost WRs, I guess anyone who has read my posts know I'm all against it. I thought the "WR devaluation" podcasts on Filmstudy was spot-on (https://www.filmstudybaltimore.com/wr-devaluation-part-1/ and https://www.filmstudybaltimore.com/wr-devaluation-part-2/). That said, the fact that they agreed with my own opinion on it makes my opinion biased from the start, but I'm curious what those of you who are ok with paying 25M AAV for McLaurin/Metcalf think.

The main point in the pod is about 4 well-run franchises (GB, BAL, TEN, KC) stading away their top WR this offseason instead of paying up, and 4 less-than-good franchises (LV, ARI, NYJ, MIA) trading for those same WRs and giving out monster contracts. And the theory that the good franchises have found a market inefficiency in the explosion of WR contract value and are selling high. That of course also means that drafting WRs early becomes important if you're nog going to overpay for 2nd contract. Which we didn't do this year. <my summary, listen to the entire thing if I may have misrepresented what was said>

Anyway, I found it interesting. Counter-points, anyone?

JAAM

Hall of Famer

purplepittabread88

Staff Member
Administrator
Regarding trading for high cost WRs, I guess anyone who has read my posts know I'm all against it. I thought the "WR devaluation" podcasts on Filmstudy was spot-on (https://www.filmstudybaltimore.com/wr-devaluation-part-1/ and https://www.filmstudybaltimore.com/wr-devaluation-part-2/). That said, the fact that they agreed with my own opinion on it makes my opinion biased from the start, but I'm curious what those of you who are ok with paying 25M AAV for McLaurin/Metcalf think.

The main point in the pod is about 4 well-run franchises (GB, BAL, TEN, KC) stading away their top WR this offseason instead of paying up, and 4 less-than-good franchises (LV, ARI, NYJ, MIA) trading for those same WRs and giving out monster contracts. And the theory that the good franchises have found a market inefficiency in the explosion of WR contract value and are selling high. That of course also means that drafting WRs early becomes important if you're nog going to overpay for 2nd contract. Which we didn't do this year. <my summary, listen to the entire thing if I may have misrepresented what was said>

Anyway, I found it interesting. Counter-points, anyone?
I agree with teams moving in that direction, but for the case of GB and KC directly, they were as good as they were because they had those monster star wrs. yes other talent applies but lets not act like tyreek and devante arent absurd players - with this though wrs will just get drafted earlier. its not like the qb market where its difficult to get that guy. qbs price being inflated makes sense, wrs, i don't think paying them is smart finically

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Not at all lol. I hope this doesn’t mean no Houston or JPP. Means sucks

it means we need more veteran camp bodies while oweh's not a full participant, while ferguson's tweaked his ankle and with bowser still recovering from injury

at the end of minicamp we only had 2 vets taking basically all the snaps with Hayes and Biegel - means has been trying out through minicamp so i imagine this is literally just to fill out the depth chart

UPennChem

Hall of Famer
it means we need more veteran camp bodies while oweh's not a full participant, while ferguson's tweaked his ankle and with bowser still recovering from injury

at the end of minicamp we only had 2 vets taking basically all the snaps with Hayes and Biegel - means has been trying out through minicamp so i imagine this is literally just to fill out the depth chart
Why is Oweh not a full participant?

JAAM

Hall of Famer

Yea I figured he was a camp body

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I agree with teams moving in that direction, but for the case of GB and KC directly, they were as good as they were because they had those monster star wrs. yes other talent applies but lets not act like tyreek and devante arent absurd players - with this though wrs will just get drafted earlier. its not like the qb market where its difficult to get that guy. qbs price being inflated makes sense, wrs, i don't think paying them is smart finically

i think it's, if anything, an acknowledgement that with the way the college game is, there's likely to be a constant and steady influx of high-level WR talent every year who can make immediate impacts at an artificially cheap price

allblackraven

Hall of Famer
Interesting article on the Ravens drafting process:

I watched Moneyball and The Draft Day last weekend and caught myself thinking we really are doing a lot of Moneyball strategy in how we compose a team.

There is no denying it works. I reckon for next two-three seasons we don't even need a little bit of luck, we just need not to be unlucky.

drjohnnyfever

Pro Bowler
"The Raiders, Dolphins, Jaguars, Cardinals, Lions and Commanders changed the scope of the receiver market overnight through their impulsive longing for receiver talent. The Ravens seemed to thank them for it, picking up the potential core of a championship team in the process."

I love it. We simply zag when others zig.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I watched Moneyball and The Draft Day last weekend and caught myself thinking we really are doing a lot of Moneyball strategy in how we compose a team.

There is no denying it works. I reckon for next two-three seasons we don't even need a little bit of luck, we just need not to be unlucky.

if we were truly moneyballing i think we still would value high-value positions in the draft because that's how you artificially get high value positions and low prices - we'd be attacking market inefficiencies in free agency at lower value positions and picking up cheaper high value talent in the draft

where we're finding value is in undervalued high-impact positions that the rest of the NFL may not have caught up to yet (TE and safety) - the ben solak ringer video about safeties was i think a more accurate depiction of what we're doing

i think also some of these pundits are over-analysing the "intention" of this - obviously some of it was but the ravens didn't expect hamilton to be there, and wanted to draft a WR when we drafted our 2nd TE - it's more that the ravens are unafraid of trusting their board and not becoming slaves to high-value position picks

but this team is positively brimming with talent right now - we're probably going to be a better team in 2023 than we are in 2022 (all things being equal) but that doesnt mean that this 2022 team is not going to be a serious contender

depending on what happens with marcus peters in 2023, i think we're probably a WR and a CB away from being a juggernaut on both sides of the ball