• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Signings, Cuts, Trades

Michael M.

Pro Bowler
Makes sense.

I've got a feeling we might have a tough time bringing back some of our cheap roster fillers this year, as we've seen with Delshawn Phillips, with so many former Ravens as DCs/HCs/GMs around the league.

Van Noy, Urban, Maulet etc might go for a little more than we can afford.
I'd love to at least keep Maulet and Urban. KVN wants more money

QtR Nevermore

Pro Bowler

I hate this move. O line salaries are going through the roof and we trade away a solid starter on a very reasonable salary for a late round pick swap? At least get better value if you're going to do this.

They must be expecting to add a tackle in the draft, but so are a lot of teams, judging by the way they're taking care of other needs in Free Agency to free themselves up to pick one. I don't like the way this boxes us into taking one position early, especially if there's going to be a run before we pick.

EDC's thinking must be that we'll have Ronnie and Faalele + Mekari to back up whichever side the draft pick doesn't play.

JAAM

Hall of Famer
EDC has a plan

rossihunter2

Staff Member
EDC has a plan

i think they clearly feel pretty comfortable with the draft class - maybe they reckon it's highly likely that there's going to be a OT top of their board when we get on the clock with our first pick and that failing that, they're comfortable with Mekari/Faalele at RT in the worst case scenario

also notable that a lot of the highly touted OTs in the draft class have been RTs

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
I hate this move. O line salaries are going through the roof and we trade away a solid starter on a very reasonable salary for a late round pick swap? At least get better value if you're going to do this.

They must be expecting to add a tackle in the draft, but so are a lot of teams, judging by the way they're taking care of other needs in Free Agency to free themselves up to pick one. I don't like the way this boxes us into taking one position early, especially if there's going to be a run before we pick.

EDC's thinking must be that we'll have Ronnie and Faalele + Mekari to back up whichever side the draft pick doesn't play.
Think its more likely Mekari is the starting RT and Faalele is the swing. That will likely change after the draft, however.

Plus I think they'll use a good chunk of the Moses $ to go sign a veteran Guard.

Think its more likely Mekari is the starting RT and Faalele is the swing. That will likely change after the draft, however.

Plus I think they'll use a good chunk of the Moses $ to go sign a veteran Guard.

Who is available at guard tho? Zeitler?

Also I wonder if this is partially because of a move to more of a zone run game? I know Henry is good at those concepts as well

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
would be shocked if we leave day 2 without drafting at least 1 OT now
Agreed. I'm surprised people are surprised by this. Moses as a player doesn't fit at all with what Monken wants to do from an Oline standpoint. Really Stanley probably doesn't either, but he's cost prohibitive and harder to replace.

The only thing that will surprise me is if we don't land a veteran Guard before the draft. If we do, and I think we will, then it frees up your draft to take a Tackle in the first few rounds, and an interior Olineman later on day 2 or in day 3.

Grim

Ravens Ring of Honor
I feel like this says that we are making a FA or Trade move, see some candidates in the Draft/FA/our team who could replace Moses. I'm assuming we're confident we can get by without Moses using one of our guys already and that we will upgrade at the interior.

allblackraven

Hall of Famer
I'm good with Moses out. He wasn't too impressive and he isn't getting any better with age. Just because we didn't have anyone better doesn't mean he was good. Lamar being Lamar masked a lot of deficiencies of our O line, tackle play in particular.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Agreed. I'm surprised people are surprised by this. Moses as a player doesn't fit at all with what Monken wants to do from an Oline standpoint. Really Stanley probably doesn't either, but he's cost prohibitive and harder to replace.

The only thing that will surprise me is if we don't land a veteran Guard before the draft. If we do, and I think we will, then it frees up your draft to take a Tackle in the first few rounds, and an interior Olineman later on day 2 or in day 3.

id be surprised if we dont sign a veteran G
but i dont think we'll sign anyone that costs very much (mostly because the market for anyone even remotely proven is insane on the OL)

think we'd be looking at the dalton risners of the world