• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The Playoffs, The Playcalling and The Refs

drjohnnyfever

Pro Bowler
If you wanna watch a clinic on how to win with the REF's assistance, continue watching the Pats v. Chefs this evening. Tom Brady threw two balls into coverage expecting contact, got it on both and sent the ball 30 yards downfield without completing a pass. If they don't get this aspect of football sorted out, especially with the league desiring passing and excitement, the game will cease to be watchable. Because...

...every third down will become an up for grabs downfield throw praying for an interference to move the ball. The new Hail Mary. Sad.

cdp

Ravens Ring of Honor
Why is Humphrey still on the punt coverage unit? What is Horton thinking?
I'm not a huge fan of these wildcat formations. Imho it takes away everything Lamar offers as a playmaker if you have him out wide.

redrum52

Hall of Famer
A win is a win. These are the types of games we would lose prior. We've gone Texans, Rams, Niners and Bills, alternating home and away. Those are all physical teams and the fact we've done this, with this young a team should speak of their mental and physical toughness. I think the problem is we got too accustomed to those blow out victories. Another factor the past two weeks has been the weather. I'll take these. The Bills also had extra rest. Enjoy the win and get excited we only have to wait until Thursday for more Ravens football. Hope Andrews is ok.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
This was our first properly bad game since the Browns and I'm genuinely unsure how worried we should be going forward.

If it's just a product of us having a bad game, I'm not too concerned. It happens to every team and it's nice that we squeaked out the W. But I'm also worried that even outside the useless gimmick plays it felt like the Bills managed to shut down Lamar in a way that we haven't seen for a while.

Again if that's just the Bills playing well (or us playing badly), then that's not the end of the world and hopefully we can put 40 on the Jets next week. But if this week was the Bills being the side that finally figured us out, that could be a serious problem for the playoffs.

I'd be interested to see what someone smarter than me has to say on the matter, but I guess only time will have the definitive answer.

probably a combination of a number of factors but during this 9 win stretch we've played basically all the best defences in the NFL -

If we look at yards/game we've played:
  • 1.) 49ers
  • 2.) Patriots
  • 3.) Bills
  • 5.) Steelers
  • We are about to play the 6th ranked Jets (Ravens are 7th)
  • 12.) Rams
if you look at scoring then apart from the bengals and seahawks every defence we've played ranks in the top 17 - with pats at 1, 49ers at 2, bills at 3, steelers at 6

ALI624

Pro Bowler
Btw great news:Harbaugh said neither Levine and Andrews have serious injuries. Said both players told him they will play Thursday.
I read that completely wrong and almost had a heart attack lol.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Why is Humphrey still on the punt coverage unit? What is Horton thinking?
I'm not a huge fan of these wildcat formations. Imho it takes away everything Lamar offers as a playmaker if you have him out wide.

we had 3 special teamers exit the game at one point - humphrey probably the only real option - we had brandon carr on special teams at one point today because levine, moore and board were out at points - board and levine didnt return either

Reactions: cdp
Kinda feel like I called this one where we just weren’t able to out physical them in the run game after we had a meat grinder game and they had extra rest and it was going to come down to our D. They did really well the only issue they had were based on penalties.

The D got us the win today.