• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

MLB Offseason Thread

O

OriolesMagicPlease

If this was the Yankees that did this, shhhiittt, it'd be front page everywhere and I bet Manfred would strip the titles then (as he should but still).

Nah, Yankees are a big market team. He would have covered it up for them too. He has no spine.

O

OriolesMagicPlease

When asked about the cheating scandal, Nick Markakis said this:

"It angers you, especially coming from a guy who's played the right way his whole career," Markakis said. "No shortcuts. I know how hard this game is and I know how hard preparing for this game is. To see something like that, it's damaging to baseball. I feel like every single guy over there needs a beating. It's wrong. They're messing with people's careers."

That's my man! Tell them Nick.

Paul Byrd

✔@PaulByrd36

https://twitter.com/PaulByrd36/status/1229762404696895488

“I’m angry! It’s wrong. I’ve played my whole career clean and the right way. I’m hurt by it. And I’m disappointed with the way things have been handled by #MLB. Those guys still get to play. It’s Bull&$!t!” - Nick Markakis on addressing the #Astros Scandal @FOXSportsBraves

8:39 AM - Feb 18, 2020 · CoolToday Park
Twitter Ads info and privacy

744 people are talking about this

Dom McRaven

Hall of Famer
Nah, Yankees are a big market team. He would have covered it up for them too. He has no spine.
I disagree. Because the Yankees are one (if not, the most) of the most iconic teams in America, I don't see how they or Manfred would cover it up. Front pagers all across each tabloids, breaking news everywhere, etc.

JO_75

Hall of Famer
MLB recently sent out new steps to curb intentional hit by pitches..... very convenient there Commissioner. Umpires now will determine the intent of the hit and managers will be held accountable. "Not related to the Astros."

LMAOOOOO GTFO Manfred.

O

OriolesMagicPlease

I disagree. Because the Yankees are one (if not, the most) of the most iconic teams in America, I don't see how they or Manfred would cover it up. Front pagers all across each tabloids, breaking news everywhere, etc.

Perhaps cover up was the wrong term. I meant he would not put the effort necessary into finding out the truth because he doesn't want the truth.

A commissioner with integrity wouldn't care if the suspected team was huge like the Yankees, a small market team or anyone in between, he/she would make it their mission to discover the truth and keep the game honest.

However, Manfred is NOT that guy. If there were any kind of rumblings that the Yankees were cheating, he would most likely put in a half hearted effort to find the truth, just as he did with the Astros. It would not benefit him to uncover that mess.

Of course I agree the media would have a ball with it though. The media's motives and the commissioner's motives are two totally different things.

Willbacker

Ravens Ring of Honor
I'm really surprized a lot of owners aren't speaking out about this cheating. It seriously has hurt the game's integrity. Awards and titles have to be stripped and given to the next in line.

Dom McRaven

Hall of Famer
I'm really surprized a lot of owners aren't speaking out about this cheating. It seriously has hurt the game's integrity. Awards and titles have to be stripped and given to the next in line.
I don't think the Dodgers should be awarded the titles. Just make them vacant. As for owners not speaking out, prolly because they may have skeletons in their own closets as well.

O

OriolesMagicPlease

JoeTorre met with the Astros and Red Sox before they faced off in the 2018 ALCS and warned them that they shouldn't cheat. MLB KNEW they were cheating, this is proof and all they did was warn them? The whole lot of them needs to go. Disgusting on every single level.

Last edited by a moderator:

JO_75

Hall of Famer
MLB & The Players agreed to extend the season out as much as possible in order to play as close as the full schedule as possible. This is including potentially playing The World Series on Christmas. Also players will get credit for a full year meaning those who are scheduled to become free agents next year, will still become free agents. It also seems playing with no fans is starting to become an option.

“Players want to play. That's what we do,” said union head Tony Clark, a former All-Star first baseman. “Being able to get back on the field and being able to play, even if that means their fans are watching at home, but being able to play for their fans is something they've all expressed a desire and an interest to do, and to do so as soon as possible."

This season was to start Thursday and Game 7 of the World Series was on track to be Oct. 28. With opening day postponed until mid-May at the earliest, the final pitch could come as Frosty the Snowman starts popping up. The sides discussed a regular season extending into October and a postseason in November.

The deal provides for $170 million in advances from salaries that total more than $4 billion and guarantees service time to players even if no games are played this year. That means Mookie Betts, George Springer, Marcus Stroman, Trevor Bauer and J.T. Realmuto remain on track for free agency next offseason.

https://www.foxbusiness.com/sports/mlb-final-pitch-could-be-closer-to-christmas-than-halloween

Edit: Agent Scott Boras came up with a plan to play a full 162 game schedule and a 144 game schedule with the post season taking place in warm weather cities.

https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/...-boras-proposed-mlb-schedule-for-2020-season/

Willbacker

Ravens Ring of Honor
MLB & The Players agreed to extend the season out as much as possible in order to play as close as the full schedule as possible. This is including potentially playing The World Series on Christmas. Also players will get credit for a full year meaning those who are scheduled to become free agents next year, will still become free agents. It also seems playing with no fans is starting to become an option.

https://www.foxbusiness.com/sports/mlb-final-pitch-could-be-closer-to-christmas-than-halloween

Edit: Agent Scott Boras came up with a plan to play a full 162 game schedule and a 144 game schedule with the post season taking place in warm weather cities.

https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/...-boras-proposed-mlb-schedule-for-2020-season/

They need to shorten the damn schedule to like 125 games and quit being so damn greedy. Pay all the players a commensurate salary that make at least 1 mil. I'm sure everybody will survive. If they need to figger it out they can write me at

Willbacker Inc
1 Getchuheadouttaurass St
Quittabeinastoopid Md 11140-0008

JO_75

Hall of Famer
MLB, Union working on plan to play games in Arizona and get season under way in May/June without fans.

The plan, sources said, would dictate all 30 teams play games at stadiums with no fans in the greater Phoenix area, including the Arizona Diamondbacks' Chase Field, 10 spring training facilities and perhaps other nearby fields. Players, coaching staffs and other essential personnel would be sequestered at local hotels, where they would live in relative isolation and travel only to and from the stadium, sources said. Federal officials at the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention as well as the National Institute of Health have been supportive of a plan that would adhere to strict isolation, promote social distancing and allow MLB to become the first professional sport to return.

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/29004498/mlb-union-focused-plan-allow-season-start-early-arizona

O

OriolesMagicPlease

The Red Sox were let off the hook for cheating. What a shocker. :rolleyes: