• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Chuck Clark

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
I'm surprised doesn't have his own thread. Since he was drafted in the 6th round, in the 2017 draft, he has improved every year and the coaches new he was extremely smart by how he was picking up the defense.

When Tony Jefferson went down, our defense improved 10 fold due to Chuck Clark getting the green dot. Of course a few weeks later we traded for Marcus Peters, but the improvements were already forthcoming.

My point is Clark has made himself invaluable to the Ravens and he is a free agent at the end of the 2020 season and extending him early may be a good thing. Many feel DeShon Elliott is even better and as an athlete I absolutely agree, but I'm not sure he could be calling the defense the way Clark has done, seamlessly.

RL52TheGreatest

Ravens Ring of Honor
The play that probably best describes Chuck Clark is the one against the Bills: the Bills had just broken off a huge play and were near the goal-line, but our defense was clearly out-of-sorts and scrambling to get in position; Clark decides to just chill behind the Bills' line-of-scrimmage to take the offsides penalty and give our defense another shot to get lined up properly. It was a heads-up play/decision by Clark and we almost ended up stopping the Bills after that (I think we stuffed the next play, but then they were able to hit Beasley for the TD following that). Clark isn't the most flashy player, but he's a very smart player and a key part of our defense this season.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
The play that probably best describes Chuck Clark is the one against the Bills: the Bills had just broken off a huge play and were near the goal-line, but our defense was clearly out-of-sorts and scrambling to get in position; Clark decides to just chill behind the Bills' line-of-scrimmage to take the offsides penalty and give our defense another shot to get lined up properly. It was a heads-up play/decision by Clark and we almost ended up stopping the Bills after that (I think we stuffed the next play, but then they were able to hit Beasley for the TD following that). Clark isn't the most flashy player, but he's a very smart player and a key part of our defense this season.

and the extra importance of that play is that he saved us from having to use a timeout

Asyranok

Practice Squad
Chuck Clark is a beast. For a 6th rounder, he has performed at what a reasonable person would expect for a later 1st, or 2nd rounder. If he continues his ascent at this pace, he could be a probowler next year. I don't think there's any going back to Tony after this. I've honestly been more impressed with Chuck than Earl Thomas this year. Earl's been solid, and an important leader. But Chuck has been performing. Looking forward to the rest of this season and next with him.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Chuck Clark is a beast. For a 6th rounder, he has performed at what a reasonable person would expect for a later 1st, or 2nd rounder. If he continues his ascent at this pace, he could be a probowler next year. I don't think there's any going back to Tony after this. I've honestly been more impressed with Chuck than Earl Thomas this year. Earl's been solid, and an important leader. But Chuck has been performing. Looking forward to the rest of this season and next with him.
although I'm not sure about him being a pro bowler next year, he absolutely has been a savior on this defense this season and yes as a 6th round pick, he was a steal. We have him until the end of 2020 when he becomes a free agent. Losing TJ was probably the most important thing that happened to our defense this year. If it wasn't him, it certainly was the Peters signing.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
I said in another thread after rewatching some condensed games, the biggest upgrade to our defense was chuck Clark, none of the other guys.

Oh and replacing Kenny young, holy shit he was bad too.

It was crazy how Jefferson’s play seemed to go off a cliff this year. I only hoped Clark could be a serviceable fill in but it appears his showing way more than that. The difference in this D from that week 4 meltdown to now always seem to be attributed to the arrival of Peters but it is about so much more and Clark’s play is a major component of that turn around.

Got to prove that turn around is complete tomorrow when we play the Browns.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
It was crazy how Jefferson’s play seemed to go off a cliff this year. I only hoped Clark could be a serviceable fill in but it appears his showing way more than that. The difference in this D from that week 4 meltdown to now always seem to be attributed to the arrival of Peters but it is about so much more and Clark’s play is a major component of that turn around.

I did hear at one point that Clark had learned a lot from Eric Weddle and it is showing, big time.

allblackraven

Hall of Famer

I think TJ was repeatedly asked to do more than he can since he came to the Ravens, probably in hopes that we haven't spent that kind of coin on a typical in-box safety.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
I think TJ was repeatedly asked to do more than he can since he came to the Ravens, probably in hopes that we haven't spent that kind of coin on a typical in-box safety.
he had a much simpler defense in Arizona when he had his best season, just prior to signing with us. However with us he has never been the same. Was he bad, no, but he isn't good in coverage and constantly was getting creamed by TE and RBs. Losing CJ Mosley truly showed his weaknesses as it did Peanut and Young.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Peanuts mostly been on the bench tbh - fort has played a lot of will
yeah we go into nickel and he comes off the field and it's quite telling. I believe he was offered a contract in the beginning of the year, before the season began and he turned it down and I'm glad he did. He's been a liability in many instances.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
yeah we go into nickel and he comes off the field and it's quite telling. I believe he was offered a contract in the beginning of the year, before the season began and he turned it down and I'm glad he did. He's been a liability in many instances.

that or he's replaced by fort - peanut's roll this year seems to have come down to select 2nd downs - im not surprised when he's on the field and makes a play

like he's still a playmaker (and always has been) but im surprised when he's actually got a snap now

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Peanuts mostly been on the bench tbh - fort has played a lot of will
yeah we go into nickel and he comes off the field and it's quite telling. I believe he was offered a contract in the beginning of the year, before the season began and he turned it down and I'm glad he did.

Chuck was definitely the best player on that side of the ball yesterday. Over the course of this win streak he's been one of the best players on the defense and part of the reason why they've turned it around.