• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Eagles Cut WR Green-Beckham

Sledge Hammer

Pro Bowler
Yes you can!

Not if some are defective ^_^

Anyways we should take a chance on DGB!! And y shouldn't we?? Were we not holding out optimism for Darren Waller?? DGB is far better than Waller. Didn't he have a couple 100 yard games with very little rapport with the QB?? Unlike Waller he is fast and fluid and sudden in his routes with sudden breaks and acceleration. He can breakaway long and climb the ladder if necessary. He isn't only a tall straight line speed player. This dude has the tools to be an accomplished route runner at 6'5 240 lbs.

He would probably be better served cutting down to 225-230 lbs. He could be a 6'5 230lb player running routes like a 190lb receiver. Somebody needs to motivate him. Combo of Harbs and Watson maybe?? Like Max if you can acclimate him to a playbook and get him practicing hard and taking football seriously to take advantage of his immense natural gifts. And realizing he can be a millionaire and he would be the biggest pickup steal in yrs.It isn't like he would cost millions and a draft pick??!! Give him a tryout.

rossihunter2

Staff Member

Anyways we should take a chance on DGB!! And y shouldn't we?? Were we not holding out optimism for Darren Waller?? DGB is far better than Waller. Didn't he have a couple 100 yard games with very little rapport with the QB?? Unlike Waller he is fast and fluid and sudden in his routes with sudden breaks and acceleration. He can breakaway long and climb the ladder if necessary. He isn't only a tall straight line speed player. This dude has the tools to be an accomplished route runner at 6'5 240 lbs.

He would probably be better served cutting down to 225-230 lbs. He could be a 6'5 230lb player running routes like a 190lb receiver. Somebody needs to motivate him. Combo of Harbs and Watson maybe?? Like Max if you can acclimate him to a playbook and get him practicing hard and taking football seriously to take advantage of his immense natural gifts. And realizing he can be a millionaire and he would be the biggest pickup steal in yrs.It isn't like he would cost millions and a draft pick??!! Give him a tryout.

as long as he doesnt lose any of that fast-twitch lean muscle fibre...
but seriously the guy you are evaluating is the guy we all saw in college and not the guy who has been cut by 2 consecutive teams before he's even made it close to the end of his rookie deal

I just don't see how he fits. No way he's on the field as anything more than a #4 or less ... and I think in all likelihood, he'd be a #6 ... until Camp gets hurt, then maybe a #5.

If that's the case, then the question always is - can he play special teams? The answer is a solid "No'. Therefore, I'd be stunned if we had any interest.

Rav'n Maniac

Practice Squad
The guy has less than a 50% catch rate in 31 games played with two decent, young QB's in Mariota and Wentz. I seriously doubt he could put it together here, especially when he wouldn't see the field all that often & I'd be shocked if Ozzie even gave this a 2nd thought.

Last edited:

rossihunter2

Staff Member
The guy has less than a 50% catch rate in 31 games played with two decent, young QB's in Mariota and Wentz. I seriously doubt he could put it together here, especially when he wouldn't see the field all that often & I'd be shocked if Ozzie even gave this a 2nd thought.

especially given that mariota is an efficient accurate pocket passer so its not like he was always playing with wentz who's more of a gunslinger type qb

and i think you're right - there's almost certainly been more posts on this thread than shits given in the ravens front office

Sledge Hammer

Pro Bowler
as long as he doesnt lose any of that fast-twitch lean muscle fibre...
but seriously the guy you are evaluating is the guy we all saw in college and not the guy who has been cut by 2 consecutive teams before he's even made it close to the end of his rookie deal

Yes but his problem is more motivation than skills. And rookie WRs often have lower catch ratios. All I'm saying I saw the board gulking at the potential of Waller and some loser that made a couple nice catches in the Super Bowl . Like a 6'5 version of the helmet catch. DGB has more skill and potential than Them. So it wouldn't hurt to give him a tryout. Ravens need to do something to find a WR with his best play yet to come. As opposed putting all of the marbles in the Breshad Perriman case

cobrajet

Hall of Famer

If we could get him for very cheap, and I mean cheap then maybe we could bring him in. After the Waller suspension, right now, I am kind of over bringing in guys with issues. The guy was investigated for a burglary, assaulting a woman that he supposedly pushed down a flight of stairs, he was arrested twice on possession of marihuana and was kicked out of the University of Missouri. During his time with the Titans, the knock was that he wouldn't spend the time learning the playbook and did not know the plays in practice and when he got to Philly he supposedly showed up out of shape and then wasn't putting in an honest effort in the weight room to get back into shape. I mean the guy was waived by Philly for reserve quarterback Dane Evans for Pete's sake, so it is hard for me to get excited about this guy. He has all the physical traits, but it does not seem his heart is in the game of football and I want guys who dedicate themselves to "Playing like a Raven!" With that said, maybe being released was finally a wake up call for him, so maybe we can bring him in and get him to sign a very cheap contract that is incentive heavy.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Yes but his problem is more motivation than skills. And rookie WRs often have lower catch ratios. All I'm saying I saw the board gulking at the potential of Waller and some loser that made a couple nice catches in the Super Bowl . Like a 6'5 version of the helmet catch. DGB has more skill and potential than Them. So it wouldn't hurt to give him a tryout. Ravens need to do something to find a WR with his best play yet to come. As opposed putting all of the marbles in the Breshad Perriman case

not sure how motivation makes him better at catching or takes the domestic violence history away

Sledge Hammer

Pro Bowler
not sure how motivation makes him better at catching or takes the domestic violence history away

Players that practice more and harder improve their hands and all around receiving skills. However what is his Domestic violence history?? Is it something serious/borderline??

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Players that practice more and harder improve their hands and all around receiving skills. However what is his Domestic violence history?? Is it something serious/borderline??

Serious/borderline is a ridiculous concept in dv - it's all serious... violence is literally in the title of the offence

Anyway, I'm surprised you don't remember from the pre-draft process... he was accused of pushing a woman down some stairs

Also in terms of the catching - there's a difference between improving your hands and improving from a drop rate of over 50% to something borderline acceptable

Boldnpurpblack

Practice Squad
id say its worth a veteran minimum deal. philly has a very logjammed wr corps and it could be case of getting lost in the crowd. i just cant believe a guy who caught contested catches as well as he did in college just cant do it anymore. maybe hes just been a total failure and will never become a nfl wr. but i really liked him in college and he has a skillset we currently lack. could possibly be useful in spread sets to catch a tough bail-out kinda throw in some key moments. who knows. doubt we pursue him though, his DV case seemed to be a drunk girl drama that he got caught up in, but the fact that its anywhere on his record makes him pretty much ignored im guessing

He got lost in the shuffle LAST year when Philly had the opposite of a logjam.

Bryce Treggs was a preferred option to DGB by mid season and he couldn't win a jump ball with Tavon. All 5'9" of him.

I'm aggressively disinterested in him and hope the team is as well. He's Chris Matthews with motivation issues and less positives (and I don't think Matthews sniffs the roster).

The Titans and Eagles have maybe been the only two team with worse WR situations than us the past 2 seasons and neither could drop him fast enough.

No thanks.

Rav'n Maniac

Practice Squad
He's a free agent now with no one claiming him off waivers. My only interest in him at this point is to see if anyone rolls the dice on him before the season starts. Maybe some serious time off will wake this kid up, although I doubt it.

ZonaRaven

Practice Squad
He's a free agent now with no one claiming him off waivers. My only interest in him at this point is to see if anyone rolls the dice on him before the season starts. Maybe some serious time off will wake this kid up, although I doubt it.

I'd be more fearful that time off causes issues with players. Just like nothing good happens after midnight, I think a lot of these players get into trouble with too much time on their hands. Structure helps.

jdynamite

Ravens Ring of Honor
There's literally no risk at giving DGB at shot during Preseason.
Remember he'd have to earn his way onto this team!
All the talk of him being the 4th WR and pushing Moore down the depth chart could or would only occur if he came in and impressed more than Moore in which case would anyone complain.

DGB is 24 years old just like Chris Moore.

The worst that can happen is he's a failed experiment like Trent Richardson, the best thing that can happen is he succeeds with us like Terrance West who had 2 teams give up on him in his first 2 years!

jboy19

Pro Bowler
All the talk of him being the 4th WR and pushing Moore down the depth chart could or would only occur if he came in and impressed more than Moore in which case would anyone complain.

The worst that can happen is he's a failed experiment like Trent Richardson, the best thing that can happen is he succeeds with us like Terrance West who had 2 teams give up on him in his first 2 years!

His talent (or lack thereof) probably isn't worth the DV history and everything in the FO's eyes.

I just don't know what he would bring to the table that guys like Chris Matthews and Tim Patrick wouldn't already bring. A big/unpolished/bad hands WR consistently comes every 2 years in the draft anyway (Streeter, Mellette, Waller) with the FO.

Boldnpurpblack

Practice Squad

He can also come in and take practice reps away from guys who can actually end up contributing or developing.... guys who actually care about football and making this team better.

Theres limited practice time and reps as is. You add yet another WR to the mix, its taking reps away from someone.

Plus, hes got a reputation as being kind of lazy.... you bring in a guy like that to your team and give him another guys reps -- they see that as the coaching staff/team rewarding a lazy guy on name recognition. Kind of goes against the idea of earning your snaps, rewarding hard work, etc...

DGB is washed. If he couldnt earn snaps in Philly who had Jordan Matthews and NOTHING else.... what makes anyone think he can play a role here? Again, they preferred Bryce Treggs to DGB after several weeks. Who - you may ask? Yes - thats the point.

He brings nothing to the table that we dont already have in Chris Matthews.... who probably isnt going to make the roster anyways. So, if your interest in DGB is a fascination with the size/speed combo, just put your hopes into Matthews. At least hes performed on a big stage once.

jdynamite

Ravens Ring of Honor
He can also come in and take practice reps away from guys who can actually end up contributing or developing.... guys who actually care about football and making this team better.

Theres limited practice time and reps as is. You add yet another WR to the mix, its taking reps away from someone.

Plus, hes got a reputation as being kind of lazy.... you bring in a guy like that to your team and give him another guys reps -- they see that as the coaching staff/team rewarding a lazy guy on name recognition. Kind of goes against the idea of earning your snaps, rewarding hard work, etc...

DGB is washed. If he couldnt earn snaps in Philly who had Jordan Matthews and NOTHING else.... what makes anyone think he can play a role here? Again, they preferred Bryce Treggs to DGB after several weeks. Who - you may ask? Yes - thats the point.

He brings nothing to the table that we dont already have in Chris Matthews.... who probably isnt going to make the roster anyways. So, if your interest in DGB is a fascination with the size/speed combo, just put your hopes into Matthews. At least hes performed on a big stage once.

Performed on the big stage lol yeah the one good game in his career made him just good enough to get released half way through the next year by Seattle
The rest of his career barely surpasses that one game, he couldn't get playing time with us at the end of 2015 when it was just Aiken playing.

You could have at least said Matthews is a better special teams player.

Oh the Titans and Eagles gave up on him, the Titans gave up on T.West too they called him out of shape, lazy, uncommitted, he's been hardworking and dedicated as a Raven right.
- the eagles seem to be ready to give up on all their young WRs including Matthews and Agholor every WR on the market the Eagles try to sign them.

DGB has played 2 years with two Rookie QBs, and has decent numbers for someone not starting with reportly poor work habits.

*If DGB is as lazy as everyone would say then he wouldn't pass the Ravens conditioning test "to take" practice reps from anyone anyway *

Harbaugh certainly isn't the type of coach to just give away practice reps to an unproven young player without them earning it.

It's amazing guys can be so optimistic for a player like Camparnaro who's played what 11 or 12 games in 3 seasons, and hasn't done much when playing but it's completely out of question to have a 24 yr WR in for Preseason.