• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The Random Thought Thread

drjohnnyfever

Pro Bowler
I just respectfully disagree with all of this. How many times do ravens fans wish Lamar would just fucking run instead of scrambling and looking downfield and finding nothing and ending up with minimal gain, when Lamar hitting the gas at the first opening would’ve been a huge play. Lamar is not russel Wilson, he navigates the pocket very well and he does have many big plays coming off of scrambles, but Lamar as a passer is at his best within the structure of the play, always has been, and his biggest plays tend to come when he drops back, sees the opening and just hits it without waiting around for a receiver to uncover

i genuinely think that's one of the reasons (combined with more optimal blocking outcomes) of faking options - where you dress something up with the mesh to look like a read but in fact it's a give/pull based on the playcall - i also think it's probably why we don't run as many RPOs as you'd expect
I agree with this. Lamar scrambling around trying to find a pass catcher is not generally a good lead-in to a big play. His big running plays were on the read-option or what must have been designed running plays. Problem is, teams have gotten better at covering those. The questions are does Roman have an answer in scheme and is the line better?

With a good line, there can be a lot of movement. This line - assuming Stanley is healthy - is already better than the last two years. I think Lamar and the league have sort of outgrown the designed run for Lamar until there is a scheme to get the ball over or around the guys coming into the box. For me, the indication the team gets that is the picking of two TE's this year. Disguising the screen or short pass to look like a designed run for Lamar would make the actual surprise aspect of a designed run be a surprise. But something else to confuse the DEF is necessary. They might as well have put it up on the Jumbotron that the next play was going to be Lamar running. The sneak aspect is what's lacking, imo. But those other similar look plays need to be successful as the set up.

Generally speaking, that's why I don't like the designed run plays for Lamar, they lack the surprise aspect. If it's not a surprise, then let the RB's take the punishment.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I agree with this. Lamar scrambling around trying to find a pass catcher is not generally a good lead-in to a big play. His big running plays were on the read-option or what must have been designed running plays. Problem is, teams have gotten better at covering those. The questions are does Roman have an answer in scheme and is the line better?

With a good line, there can be a lot of movement. This line - assuming Stanley is healthy - is already better than the last two years. I think Lamar and the league have sort of outgrown the designed run for Lamar until there is a scheme to get the ball over or around the guys coming into the box. For me, the indication the team gets that is the picking of two TE's this year. Disguising the screen or short pass to look like a designed run for Lamar would make the actual surprise aspect of a designed run be a surprise. But something else to confuse the DEF is necessary. They might as well have put it up on the Jumbotron that the next play was going to be Lamar running. The sneak aspect is what's lacking, imo. But those other similar look plays need to be successful as the set up.

Generally speaking, that's why I don't like the designed run plays for Lamar, they lack the surprise aspect. If it's not a surprise, then let the RB's take the punishment.

to that first part, the answer is simple, we create a numbers advantage schematically by involving the QB in the running game, the difference in 2021 was that the RBs were zero threat so teams keyed in on Lamar knowing that the RBs couldn't beat them to the corner - if you overemphasise lamar in 2022, JK's gonna beat you to the corner for a 20yd+ gain or Gus is gonna have a free run between the tackles and be hardly touched getting into L2 and L3 - teams definitely improved from 2019 to 2020 using more scrape exchanges to help give defenders a head start and some teams started charging the mesh to force a particular read but 2020 we had answers for it with the counter bash and JK Dobbins and there's no reason to think that defences have an answer for it yet

but lamar's actually one of the most dangerous scramble drill passers in the NFL - mahomes is other-worldly at off-script playmaking with his arm but lamar's pretty spectacular too

i would however like to see us get RBs and TEs involved in the short/quick passing game on some early downs more frequently to move the defence around more and get dynamic playmakers in space more - think we could use duvernay better with quick screens - maybe even off an RPO where you motion him across for the end around and run a counter behind him but he continues out into a screen ready for the pass option off the edge if we dont have the numbers advantage in the box - again though, i think in 2021 that was the idea, and in fact JK Dobbins injury in preseason literally came on a screen to him that went for like 8-9 yards

drjohnnyfever

Pro Bowler
to that first part, the answer is simple, we create a numbers advantage schematically by involving the QB in the running game, the difference in 2021 was that the RBs were zero threat so teams keyed in on Lamar knowing that the RBs couldn't beat them to the corner - if you overemphasise lamar in 2022, JK's gonna beat you to the corner for a 20yd+ gain or Gus is gonna have a free run between the tackles and be hardly touched getting into L2 and L3 - teams definitely improved from 2019 to 2020 using more scrape exchanges to help give defenders a head start and some teams started charging the mesh to force a particular read but 2020 we had answers for it with the counter bash and JK Dobbins and there's no reason to think that defences have an answer for it yet

but lamar's actually one of the most dangerous scramble drill passers in the NFL - mahomes is other-worldly at off-script playmaking with his arm but lamar's pretty spectacular too

i would however like to see us get RBs and TEs involved in the short/quick passing game on some early downs more frequently to move the defence around more and get dynamic playmakers in space more - think we could use duvernay better with quick screens - maybe even off an RPO where you motion him across for the end around and run a counter behind him but he continues out into a screen ready for the pass option off the edge if we dont have the numbers advantage in the box - again though, i think in 2021 that was the idea, and in fact JK Dobbins injury in preseason literally came on a screen to him that went for like 8-9 yards

I agree with everything but the highlighted part. There are times something dramatic happens with Lamar scrambling, but all to often I see him forced out of bounds with little gain or an off target pass. I'll admit and concede that there is no player in the game with more potential for big plays on scrambles, but I don't really see a lot of success when he is forced to scramble. But that's not really the point of what's being discussed either. The play call is not for him to be in a scrambling situation... lol.

Now, designed roll outs... or, particularly, screens (something I think we all have identified as lacking)... and other plays that would serve as a decoy to a designed run for Lamar have to occur with more frequency and success before going headlong into 8-11 running attempts by Lamar. Leave the grunt work to the RB's... something I think we both agree on.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I agree with everything but the highlighted part. There are times something dramatic happens with Lamar scrambling, but all to often I see him forced out of bounds with little gain or an off target pass. I'll admit and concede that there is no player in the game with more potential for big plays on scrambles, but I don't really see a lot of success when he is forced to scramble. But that's not really the point of what's being discussed either. The play call is not for him to be in a scrambling situation... lol.

Now, designed roll outs... or, particularly, screens (something I think we all have identified as lacking)... and other plays that would serve as a decoy to a designed run for Lamar have to occur with more frequency and success before going headlong into 8-11 running attempts by Lamar. Leave the grunt work to the RB's... something I think we both agree on.

respectfully - i dont think that's true about lamar as a scramble passer - i think you frequently see big plays come from him extending plays with his legs - lots of TDs in the redzone from that facet of his game where the field is condensed and space is harder to create for receivers

i love screens, quick outs, spot routes etc. but i hate those designed rollout plays lol

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer

Well if you watch film from 2021 you can see how much the RBs impacted those designed runs and options. Defenders paid literally no mind to bell and freeman, replace them with dobbins and Gus and they probably add an additional 1000 rushing yards for the entire offense, one because if they aren’t respected they’re breaking off big chunks, and two that opens up for Lamar.

It was egregious how little mind defenses paid to the rbs and how infrequently we took advantage, not that we necessarily could’ve taken advantage with our backs to begin with.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Well if you watch film from 2021 you can see how much the RBs impacted those designed runs and options. Defenders paid literally no mind to bell and freeman, replace them with dobbins and Gus and they probably add an additional 1000 rushing yards for the entire offense, one because if they aren’t respected they’re breaking off big chunks, and two that opens up for Lamar.

It was egregious how little mind defenses paid to the rbs and how infrequently we took advantage, not that we necessarily could’ve taken advantage with our backs to begin with.

that last clause is doing a lot of work here - the reason opportunities were left open was because we had no one on the roster who could make teams pay - even when devonta freeman had the edge, LBs would just chase him down for minimal gains

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
that last clause is doing a lot of work here - the reason opportunities were left open was because we had no one on the roster who could make teams pay - even when devonta freeman had the edge, LBs would just chase him down for minimal gains
Yeah like Lamar could’ve given to freeman MANY times and he could’ve picked up a solid five untouched, but those same runs dobbins breaks for 20+ and that completely changes the dynamic for EVERYTHING. Defenses have to respond in dramatic fashion because the only thing worse than getting ripped through the air, is getting gashed on the ground, this is where Lamar does his best work, when the RBs are picking up chunks Lamar goes nuts and Roman’s scheme begins to look unstoppable.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Yeah like Lamar could’ve given to freeman MANY times and he could’ve picked up a solid five untouched, but those same runs dobbins breaks for 20+ and that completely changes the dynamic for EVERYTHING. Defenses have to respond in dramatic fashion because the only thing worse than getting ripped through the air, is getting gashed on the ground, this is where Lamar does his best work, when the RBs are picking up chunks Lamar goes nuts and Roman’s scheme begins to look unstoppable.

it also allows us to get back to dominance in the ground game - and with more defenders in the box it makes the coverage more predictable on the backend

the benefit to it is with an athlete like JK (and Gus too) it pulls attention especially if lamar hasn't run a lot that drive and it helps the offence regain the maths advantages - and all it takes is a couple of good pulls on a counter with a LB slow to react to the give and maybe ricard kicking out and suddenly you've got lamar 1v1 with a safety in the middle of the field in space if the safety hasn't overreacted to the flow from JK and if he does then it's a house-call

explosive plays break defences and if you can consistently break defences with the ground game then football is easy

BoredMarine13

Ravens Ring of Honor
Hard to blame them, that group we brought out was practice squad. Lamar loves being the guy as well, always wants the ball in his hands in big moments. I imagine he lacked trust in his RBs to get it done. A healthy JK and Gus should change that

BoredMarine13

Ravens Ring of Honor
Finally got around to watching the new Batman. I have to disagree with Marlon, thought it was a pretty good flick. Nice change from the comic book goofiness. My only complaint was Batman was shot 300 some times and not one round hit him in his unprotected face …. Interesting

Nurps

Ravens Ring of Honor
Finally got around to watching the new Batman. I have to disagree with Marlon, thought it was a pretty good flick. Nice change from the comic book goofiness. My only complaint was Batman was shot 300 some times and not one round hit him in his unprotected face …. Interesting
I remember seeing that scene in the preview and I was like WTF, man?

Old Bay

Veteran

BoredMarine13

Ravens Ring of Honor
I tried giving it a read but i couldn’t go any further than this:

“I understand gunshots are fast, but so can be reaction time.”

Lol , I’ll just enjoy the movie as is.