• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The Random Thought Thread

jboy19

Pro Bowler
Because they let the second worst rushing team in the league put 120y on them in the first half and build 17-3 lead.

It looked to me on most of the big running plays that Williams got doubled more often than not and Mosley/Onwuasor struggled with closing. I was under the impression that that was why we saw Correa in on the first Bengals TD.

allblackraven

Hall of Famer
It looked to me on most of the big running plays that Williams got doubled more often than not and Mosley/Onwuasor struggled with closing. I was under the impression that that was why we saw Correa in on the first Bengals TD.
There were double teams on both, more on BWill but I saw at least 2 plays where Bwill was straight up handled by a single blocker. It was always on the obvious run play which allowed Bengals lot of 2nd and 3rd short plays and ate all the clock.

DeVito52

Ravens Ring of Honor
Because they let the second worst rushing team in the league put 120y on them in the first half and build 17-3 lead.
Williams consistently gets double teamed which is supposed to open up lanes for our other guys. But it seems like Pierce gets washed out even when it’s 1v1, although Williams does too. many long runs are the result in our linebackers taking the wrong lanes and getting beat to the outside. There’s a reason linebackers lead the league in tackles and nose tackles don’t. Run defense isn’t only up to the big men up front.

Ellicottraven

Ravens Ring of Honor
Just had a really random thought. Fuck Harbaugh. Fuck Flacco. Fuck Marty. Fuck Ozzie! I don't see any change in the offense or the coaching moving forward. I don't see us drafting well either. I am just fucking frustrated that we had a 95% chance to make the playoffs and we chose the 5% to bang it in. We were uninspiring, weak with zero passion and killer instinct.

allblackraven

Hall of Famer
Williams consistently gets double teamed which is supposed to open up lanes for our other guys. But it seems like Pierce gets washed out even when it’s 1v1, although Williams does too. many long runs are the result in our linebackers taking the wrong lanes and getting beat to the outside. There’s a reason linebackers lead the league in tackles and nose tackles don’t. Run defense isn’t only up to the big men up front.
Definitely subpar run defense all around but it all starts up front. Proper 5T end is a big missing piece, too.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
for conversation sake what are your thoughts on possibly trading jimmy smith being he is pretty much never around at the end of the season. we could draft a cb in the 1st or 2nd or sign a free agent to take his place but free up $$ to bring in better receivers and possibly a proven te. schedule is tough next season and we need a better offense.
Not a fan at all, considering he is only 29 has about 4 more good years left in the tank. Besides trading him only would clear a little more than 3.3m due to his dead cap. Keep him and start Humphrey alongside him when he’s ready to come back.

DeVito52

Ravens Ring of Honor
Not a fan at all, considering he is only 29 has about 4 more good years left in the tank. Besides trading him only would clear a little more than 3.3m due to his dead cap. Keep him and start Humphrey alongside him when he’s ready to come back.
Agreed. I mean, this year it was a torn Achilles. That’s not really an injury that’s a result of being injury prone. And as soon as we’d trade him he would undoubtedly be healthy for the remainder of his career. I’d rather take the chance of keeping the best CB in the league and hope he stays healthy.

The Greek

Veteran
Just had a really random thought. Fuck Harbaugh. Fuck Flacco. Fuck Marty. Fuck Ozzie! I don't see any change in the offense or the coaching moving forward. I don't see us drafting well either. I am just fucking frustrated that we had a 95% chance to make the playoffs and we chose the 5% to bang it in. We were uninspiring, weak with zero passion and killer instinct.
hahaha love it

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
the grass isn’t always greener on the other side.

Deebo813

Hall of Famer
2013: 8-6, controlled destiny, missed playoffs
2016: 8-6, controlled destiny, missed playoffs
2017: 8-6, controlled destiny, missed playoffs

Since winning the Super Bowl, we've missed the playoffs every year when we play the Bengals in week 17. I'm getting really tired of the Steelers always getting to play the Browns.
that dont matter! we didnt make playoffs cause we suck!

Dom McRaven

Hall of Famer
First half defense + December offense = 11 win team

Speaking of offense, it felt nice to see that our offensive line hardly got called for holding. Remember last season how we would get a holding call followed by a false start or vice versa or another penalty? Good times, gooooooodd times.

Ellicottraven

Ravens Ring of Honor
This is my vent post at BR.com: I just thought I would share it with my brothers and sisters here.

Let me caveat whatever I am going to say with 'I love the Ravens very much'. Now, let me vent just a little bit. First of all let's talk the most expensive position on our team - QB. Flacco to me started playing better as the season was coming to a close. That doesn't mean he played great or at a high level, it just means he played better than he played during the first half of the season at which time he was worse than a backup QB. I don't care about the number of stories that are run here periodically about how passionate Flacco really is in the locker room and how intelligent he is, etc. Truthfully I don't believe it. He is about as apathetic, frigid, unenthusiastic, indifferent as an inanimate cold log of wood and that is insulting that log of wood! He seems to never care or even pretend to care for our benefit. He is definitely not a heady or intelligent QB period as evidenced by the numerous brain farts and lack of adequately reading defenses. All in his 10th year as an NFL QB! So get rid of this pile of garbage when it doesn't cost as much in dump fees - 2019?

Harbaugh is a weak leader and has been week since the Ed Reed led mutiny. He basically is a yes man to senior players on the team at this point. He isn't really a bright football mind like some of the young coordinators and HCs out there. His perceived strength is that of a leader and motivator. He isn't either but I'll tell you what he is. He is a superb 'quotation reservoir'! That's it.

Marty and Pees? Thankfully Pees is retired and I don't want to disrespect him anymore because he's gone into retirement. Let's just leave Pees be. As for Marty? He is among the most irritating, country speaking and unimaginative coach in league history. He was terrible as HC of the Lions and is just as bad as an OC. Just a pathetic excuse for an OC. Yet he stays! Why? Because our glorious leader - (Kim) Jong Flacco wants him! He wants him because he doesn't have to spend too much time at the facility learning a new offense or spend any time building a rapport with his receivers. So, he can continue milking his contract and extinguishing whatever little flame is left of the Ravens!

Ozzie and DeCosta? Well proof is in the pudding. Over the past several years, they haven't accomplished too much or drafted too well. They're okay but not good. I don't know if it is scouting, their acumen at targeting talent or the coaches lack of harnessing talent. Somehow it isn't working.

Last but not least our owner Mr. Bisciotti. Well, he is a huge believer in continuity. Well, I believed it too. However, continuity is great if you have something good Steve. It is terrible when you have something average to bad. You need to cut your losses and try something new. Just because your obsession with the Steelers and Pats and their longevity and continuity with the front office and coaching worked for them doesn't mean it will work for us! They simply have superior talent in terms of coaching and play makers. Most importantly they have QBs that are considered real elite. We simply have a standing joke of a QB that is pillaged by the nation about his supposed 'eliteness' which he has thankfully proven time and again is blissfully wrong.

So unless drastic change happens, I fully expect given our schedule that we'll have a losing season in 2018. Nobody should doubt it if you are intellectually honest with yourselves. Change clearly isn't happening and there seems to be no hope for this team moving forward, so what do we look forward to as fans? Nothing, nada, zilch.