• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The Random Thought Thread

Sami84

Ravens Ring of Honor
btw, I really think we're going to cut down on our designed run plays this year for lamar.

He's going to do the unthinkable as far as the haters go. Throw for 4000 but only run for around 600-700.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
btw, I really think we're going to cut down on our designed run plays this year for lamar.

He's going to do the unthinkable as far as the haters go. Throw for 4000 but only run for around 600-700.
I also think he will have a 400 yard game this year passing the ball. He wasn't far from 4000 this year, but he only played in less than 14 games. He missed 5 games where he sat down in the final quarter and then didn't play game 16.

Sami84

Ravens Ring of Honor
I also think he will have a 400 yard game this year passing the ball. He wasn't far from 4000 this year, but he only played in less than 14 games. He missed 5 games where he sat down in the final quarter and then didn't play game 16.

pretty sure if we're blowing out teams harbs will do the same thing and take him out for a full quarter if need be

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
Okay,

i've watched more JK dobbins than anyone of our rookies now and

- He's high floor but his ceiling? Not much more, and there are two MAIN reasons for this

- I wish he bounced off guys more when tackled
- When he gets stacked he doesn't seem to have that elite power to push himself that extra yard or two after contact. I'm not saying he has to be marshawn lynch but he's not hard to bring down.
Dobbins isn’t a power runner, but neither was ray rice, what they both have/had was incredible balance and low center of gravity, dobbins absolutely does bounce off of tackles and fight for extra yards, he’s intuitive when approaching open field defenders and is great at setting up moves a little bit like we see Lamar doing, not quite to that extent but he definitely is baiting tacklers often before making his move. On top of all this he has elite vision, elusiveness, agility and acceleration, making him not only ideal for this system but also gives him that extra juice being able to shake guys out of their boots downfield to turn what would be a 10 yard gain into a 30+

you don’t have to be Derrick Henry to break tackles. You’re doing that thing again where if a player isn’t the absolute best you’ve ever seen at one particular thing you think they can’t do it at all. Runners with low Center of gravity and great contact balance are every bit as valuable as raw power guys.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer

I think so too. With the work he’s put in with Hollywood I think those 2 are gonna be the dynamic duo in the league. I see a 4k season from Lamar and, no I’m not kidding, 1300+ from Hollywood. Yes I’m predicting THAT much from him.

Sami84

Ravens Ring of Honor
Dobbins isn’t a power runner, but neither was ray rice, what they both have/had was incredible balance and low center of gravity, dobbins absolutely does bounce off of tackles and fight for extra yards, he’s intuitive when approaching open field defenders and is great at setting up moves a little bit like we see Lamar doing, not quite to that extent but he definitely is baiting tacklers often before making his move. On top of all this he has elite vision, elusiveness, agility and acceleration, making him not only ideal for this system but also gives him that extra juice being able to shake guys out of their boots downfield to turn what would be a 10 yard gain into a 30+

you don’t have to be Derrick Henry to break tackles. You’re doing that thing again where if a player isn’t the absolute best you’ve ever seen at one particular thing you think they can’t do it at all. Runners with low Center of gravity and great contact balance are every bit as valuable as raw power guys.

Not at all. I just don't see a guy who's running low enough IMO. He runs very, very high. He doesn't break tackles THAT well.

He needs to run a bit lower and those things should get better. He's a very safe prospect in general but if you want that pro bowl caliber RB, you need that extra yards after contact and his ain't that special. If he ran a bit lower, a lot of things could change in that regard.

rossihunter2

Staff Member

he was 11th in the league in yards per attempt and 4th in adjusted yards per attempt (which incorporates tds and ints into the score)

i dont know that we can ever replicate the counting stats that we had for running the ball last year but i think there's for sure a level of offensive efficiency we can still achieve that will be outrageous (and it requires us to be a threat passing the ball which we were but not as effective as we could be with volume) - we were number 1 in DVOA last year in both passing and rushing efficiency - ironically the rushing efficiency was lower, probably because the volume was so much larger but a move towards a slight shift in balance could be amazing for our offence if these new weapons can bed in

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Not at all. I just don't see a guy who's running low enough IMO. He runs very, very high. He doesn't break tackles THAT well.

He needs to run a bit lower and those things should get better. He's a very safe prospect in general but if you want that pro bowl caliber RB, you need that extra yards after contact and his ain't that special. If he ran a bit lower, a lot of things could change in that regard.

i just dont see what you see on tape in that regard - dont think he runs high at all

Sami84

Ravens Ring of Honor
i just dont see what you see on tape in that regard - dont think he runs high at all

going through the LOS he does run high. Look, hes going to be a good player. I just wonder if he's maxed out already though. I have no concerns about him being a good player, it's just when you try to make an arguement that he'll be anything more, that's the question. In this scheme, lots of running backs are going to look great.

Will he be more productive than GUS as it pertains to YPC? Let's see..

Sami84

Ravens Ring of Honor
having said all this. I thought Ray Rice was just an above average type of RB in the old forums (coming out of rugters), and maybe he was in reality and a bit overrated for us( looking back) but hey, he worked and he was important even though his talent level wasn't elite. I like Dobbins more than i did Rice as a prospect..so

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
having said all this. I thought Ray Rice was just an above average type of RB in the old forums (coming out of rugters), and maybe he was in reality and a bit overrated for us( looking back) but hey, he worked and he was important even though his talent level wasn't elite. I like Dobbins more than i did Rice as a prospect..so
I always thought ray rice was overrated by ravens fans, but if you go back and watch full games from 09-12 you’ll probably change your mind like I did. He really carried that team, you probably have all the 1-2 yard runs stuck in your head but the reality is that nobody feared our passing game and it was just hard to consistently rip off decent runs against the fronts we saw, ray rice really bugged me with his no gainers back in the day, but looking back now you notice all the plays he made that we took for granted, we still don’t see it to this day even with Ingram and this offense. Ray rice to those ravens are what lamar is to these ravens, the offense was literally designed around using wrs to take defenders deep and designed dump offs to ray rice, he so consistently bailed out Flacco by catching a late ill advised dump off and making 3 defenders miss in spectacular fashion just to convert a 3rd and short and keep drives alive. The way lamar can will us to first downs and just keep giving us chances, ray rice was doing that shit too.

If you wanna compare dobbins to ray rice, which is exactly who I comped him to, then give ray rice his due lol. I wasn’t ever his biggest fan but I’ve been watching a lot of old games recently out of boredom and my god did I disrespect him, he was worth every bit of the hype that came his way, he carried that offense and it wasnt until the 2012 playoffs that joe Flacco finally became the driving force behind the offense.

Sami84

Ravens Ring of Honor
I always thought ray rice was overrated by ravens fans, but if you go back and watch full games from 09-12 you’ll probably change your mind like I did. He really carried that team, you probably have all the 1-2 yard runs stuck in your head but the reality is that nobody feared our passing game and it was just hard to consistently rip off decent runs against the fronts we saw, ray rice really bugged me with his no gainers back in the day, but looking back now you notice all the plays he made that we took for granted, we still don’t see it to this day even with Ingram and this offense. Ray rice to those ravens are what lamar is to these ravens, the offense was literally designed around using wrs to take defenders deep and designed dump offs to ray rice, he so consistently bailed out Flacco by catching a late ill advised dump off and making 3 defenders miss in spectacular fashion just to convert a 3rd and short and keep drives alive. The way lamar can will us to first downs and just keep giving us chances, ray rice was doing that shit too.

If you wanna compare dobbins to ray rice, which is exactly who I comped him to, then give ray rice his due lol. I wasn’t ever his biggest fan but I’ve been watching a lot of old games recently out of boredom and my god did I disrespect him, he was worth every bit of the hype that came his way, he carried that offense and it wasnt until the 2012 playoffs that joe Flacco finally became the driving force behind the offense.

Of course I recall RR and i don't need a reminder. However, Justin Forsett in 2014 was as impressive as anyhing Ray Rice did.
My point being is, YES he did a great job and was a good player..he's just not ''special'' if you get my drift.

He played behind some good O linesman too.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
thinking about ray rice brought this up - but i was looking at DVOA metrics and they do historical reanalysis of old games (obviously its not as play-by-play as what they are able to do now) but the 2013 Ravens rushing offence ranks 7th worst in NFL history lol according to DVOA

the mix of uninspired play calling from Caldwell, Juan Castillo having a big hand in coordinating the running game despite also being the OL, having awful OL talent generally that year and ray rice having lost a step of lateral agility due to bulking up and generally an offensive scheme that was so far behind the times and it led to one of the worst running DVOAs of all time

Sami84

Ravens Ring of Honor
thinking about ray rice brought this up - but i was looking at DVOA metrics and they do historical reanalysis of old games (obviously its not as play-by-play as what they are able to do now) but the 2013 Ravens rushing offence ranks 7th worst in NFL history lol according to DVOA

the mix of uninspired play calling from Caldwell, Juan Castillo having a big hand in coordinating the running game despite also being the OL, having awful OL talent generally that year and ray rice having lost a step of lateral agility due to bulking up and generally an offensive scheme that was so far behind the times and it led to one of the worst running DVOAs of all time

oh it was a horror show. I dont know how we finished 8-8 that year....should have been way worse

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
Of course I recall RR and i don't need a reminder. However, Justin Forsett in 2014 was as impressive as anyhing Ray Rice did.
My point being is, YES he did a great job and was a good player..he's just not ''special'' if you get my drift.

Justin forsett was a system product and we’ve beaten that dead horse a million times in the past lol, the ravens even acknowledged they mistakenly re signed a system product when they let him go. You can’t even begin to compare the 2. Ray rice did it for 4 consecutive seasons in CAM CAMERONS offense lol, forsett did it in kubiaks, for ONE season. I think you do need to jog your memory a bit if you think the 2 are in the same ballpark

Sami84

Ravens Ring of Honor
Justin forsett was a system product and we’ve beaten that dead horse a million times in the past lol, the ravens even acknowledged they mistakenly re signed a system product when they let him go. You can’t even begin to compare the 2. Ray rice did it for 4 consecutive seasons in CAM CAMERONS offense lol, forsett did it in kubiaks, for ONE season. I think you do need to jog your memory a bit if you think the 2 are in the same ballpark

forsett was averaging high yards per carries at jacksonville behind MJD.
Rice was Behind yanda, grubbs(KO), Birk and good road grader tacklers. He was alright.

allblackraven

Hall of Famer

No soup for you!
Come back one year.
Next.

Sami84

Ravens Ring of Honor
We've always had guys that did the job TBH.
We did draft some odd ones that clearly when you watched them, they were so average even for college.

Buck Allen i never liked
Lorenzo Taliaferro ( i joked harbaugh wanted him because of his glorious name and nothing else).