• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The Random Thought Thread

Ellicottraven

Ravens Ring of Honor
Fortunately things have improved. I would say though, there is a zero percent chance we have fans in the stands this year.
Especially if there is a second wave that is being talked about in scientific circles. The great news that isn't getting much coverage is that S. Korea found out that if you are infected with the COVID-19 virus a second time after recovering from it, you're no longer infectious! That is huge to contain the virus.

Edgar

Ravens Ring of Honor
Can anyone help clarify for me the OPI rule as it applies to WR's off the line blocking after 1 yard for a pass? I ve thought that WR's are not able to block past 1 yard (NFL). Is this not, by the letter of law, OPI because Kelce initiates contact, drives both hands into the chest of Sherman and drives him for about 3?
pushoff.gif

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
Can anyone help clarify for me the OPI rule as it applies to WR's off the line blocking after 1 yard for a pass? I ve thought that WR's are not able to block past 1 yard (NFL). Is this not, by the letter of law, OPI because Kelce initiates contact, drives both hands into the chest of Sherman and drives him for about 3?
View attachment 2351
1. Obviously, the whole thing is subjective.
2. I'm not sure if the rule means that a WR can't INITIATE blocking contact after one yard. Seems to me if you start blocking somebody at LOS or within one yard, you should be able to continue the block the length of the field if you remain engaged.
3. In this scenario, I would imagine the refs are viewing this as hand fighting between both offensive and defensive player, and thus letting it go. Specifically when the blocking doesn't seem to a significant impact on the play, i.e. he doesn't appear to be using it to set up a "pick" or allow another player to get open.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
View attachment 2351

To the letter of the law that’s OPI but it’s close enough and he turns it into hand-fighting type contact enough that you’re never getting that sort of thing called... would be ticky-tacky in the extreme

rossihunter2

Staff Member
2. I'm not sure if the rule means that a WR can't INITIATE blocking contact after one yard. Seems to me if you start blocking somebody at LOS or within one yard, you should be able to continue the block the length of the field if you remain engaged.

This is specifically about when the ball is in the air before the receiver touches the ball

After the balls caught or touched then the rule no longer applies and the receiver can block a player as far downfield as they want

Edgar

Ravens Ring of Honor
@rmcjacket23
@rossihunter2
Thanks for the responses. I appreciate them as I find that particular rule a bit of a glaze over and gray area. The rule in college is also different which confuses me. whether or not its likely to be called, I needed an answer as to whether or not this is illegal TECHNICALLY.

some things about this play; I assumed this would be viewed as hand fighting but that is what Reid is banking on as he instructs his TE to stick his hands inside and drive the DB. There are several key points;
1) down and distance. 3rd and 3 - the swing to the RB is absolutely the only look here as they are looking to convert. The 3 receiver off side is window dressing.
2) 9 times out of 10 when you stick your hands in the chest of the defender, he will wrap outside and further create the illusion of hand fighting. Reid knows this and its a shrewd move daring the refs to identify this as a block and not hand fighting/incidental.
3) To me this is most important; Kelce isn't simply blocking the Db...he is driving him straight backward with hands inside to force the weak overhang defender to run a hump or to under cut. That is his job on the play. to block the DB long down field and "pick" the overhang that the Chiefs will convert on 3rd and 3. The TE's role here is instrumental. It's very shrewd.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
@rmcjacket23
@rossihunter2
Thanks for the responses. I appreciate them as I find that particular rule a bit of a glaze over and gray area. The rule in college is also different which confuses me. whether or not its likely to be called, I needed an answer as to whether or not this is illegal TECHNICALLY.

some things about this play; I assumed this would be viewed as hand fighting but that is what Reid is banking on as he instructs his TE to stick his hands inside and drive the DB. There are several key points;
1) down and distance. 3rd and 3 - the swing to the RB is absolutely the only look here as they are looking to convert. The 3 receiver off side is window dressing.
2) 9 times out of 10 when you stick your hands in the chest of the defender, he will wrap outside and further create the illusion of hand fighting. Reid knows this and its a shrewd move daring the refs to identify this as a block and not hand fighting/incidental.
3) To me this is most important; Kelce isn't simply blocking the Db...he is driving him straight backward with hands inside to force the weak overhang defender to run a hump or to under cut. That is his job on the play. to block the DB long down field and "pick" the overhang that the Chiefs will convert on 3rd and 3. The TE's role here is instrumental. It's very shrewd.

oh its great design - it follows the simple (daring the refs to call it) concepts that a rub route does - the trick is being able to leave it grey enough that the refs dont call it

my understanding is that technically what kelce is doing is illegal and should be called...
but that it never will be

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
@rmcjacket23
@rossihunter2

And as presented, it likely should be a penalty. I think it would depend on which official is responsible for that view. Depending on where he's placed, it could look to the official as either hand fighting between the two, or potentially, even that the defender is impeding Kelce's route. The all 22 view pretty much always picks up everything, but again, officials don't have that luxury.

But yes, it should probably be a penalty.

Edgar

Ravens Ring of Honor
And as presented, it likely should be a penalty. I think it would depend on which official is responsible for that view. Depending on where he's placed, it could look to the official as either hand fighting between the two, or potentially, even that the defender is impeding Kelce's route. The all 22 view pretty much always picks up everything, but again, officials don't have that luxury.

But yes, it should probably be a penalty.
oh its great design - it follows the simple (daring the refs to call it) concepts that a rub route does - the trick is being able to leave it grey enough that the refs dont call it

my understanding is that technically what kelce is doing is illegal and should be called...
but that it never will be
Thanks guys.

cdp

Ravens Ring of Honor
I'm going to boycott MNF if Orlovsky becomes their analyst. How can one be so stupid. Darnold ahead of Lamar, Murray even Mayfield.

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
I'm going to boycott MNF if Orlovsky becomes their analyst. How can one be so stupid. Darnold ahead of Lamar, Murray even Mayfield.

He did clarify this in subsequent interviews. Basically said what a lot of people are thinking, which is how good is Lamar going to be 7,8,10 years from now?

He has doubts like many do. He's not picking who he wants today or who he thinks is better today.

Ellicottraven

Ravens Ring of Honor
He did clarify this in subsequent interviews. Basically said what a lot of people are thinking, which is how good is Lamar going to be 7,8,10 years from now?

He has doubts like many do. He's not picking who he wants today or who he thinks is better today.
He's full of shit @rmcjacket23. He is basically rubbing it in to Lamar supporters. He had this tirade and it got him a lot of views and hits. So this time he used a different tact. Nobody asked him who he would pick out of the last 3 yrs. The question was regarding just Daniel Jones and Sam Darnold. He basically volunteered his hot take knowing fully well it would create a shit storm. He also added 3 yrs which would include Lamar Jackson on purpose. That little sleaze ball knew exactly what he was doing. He is becoming quite the prolific click bait artist but you've got to credit him for being pretty sophisticated about it! lol

Ellicottraven

Ravens Ring of Honor
Hey folks, I am about to say something controversial here. Do you guys also think that Joe Burrow looks like Caitlin Jenner after the sex change operation?

JO_75

Hall of Famer
He's full of shit @rmcjacket23. He is basically rubbing it in to Lamar supporters. He had this tirade and it got him a lot of views and hits. So this time he used a different tact. Nobody asked him who he would pick out of the last 3 yrs. The question was regarding just Daniel Jones and Sam Darnold. He basically volunteered his hot take knowing fully well it would create a shit storm. He also added 3 yrs which would include Lamar Jackson on purpose. That little sleaze ball knew exactly what he was doing. He is becoming quite the prolific click bait artist but you've got to credit him for being pretty sophisticated about it! lol

The three year window also happens to NOT INCLUDE the 2017 Draft. He is saying in the past three years, counting for the 2020 Draft QBs like Tua, Herbert and Burrow who haven't played a single snap in the NFL yet. So he is literally taking out Patrick Mahomes & Deshaun Watson in order to make his point seem stronger.