• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The Random Thought Thread

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
Nobody said take input from fans, but their support matters, hence teams with less support moving to new cities(rams, chargers, jags were rumored for a long time and likely will continue to be). Ask Dan Snyder how he feels about fan support after removing entire decks of seating at fedex field 3 times in 5 years.

I never once suggested that gms listen to the fans, but to suggest that fan support doesn’t matter in a spectator sport is ridiculous.
I never even vaguely suggested support doesn't matter. I said winning and support really have nothing to do with each other. I'm not sure anybody can provide an example that they do. I said fans only thing they care about is winning, and that's NOT the only thing players, coaches, or Owners care about. Fans may attempt to measure those people based on wins/losses, but fans don't have any say in their employment status or their decision making.

I don't think Daniel Snyder is nearly as concerned about stadium attendance as you think he is. Most of those people who stopped buying tickets just swapped a bleacher seat for a couch and a big screen. And that's why these teams have no issue moving to other cities, because the fanbase can easily carry with them, and most importantly, for the LA teams for example, they got multi-billion dollar complexes where they can hold a variety of things that have nothing to do with football, and make a ton of money off of them. The LA move isn't about a stadium or even about football... its an event center. Concerts, Super Bowls, College bowl games. Pretty much a limitless supply of outdoor activities (pre COVID that is) that said Owner can profit from.

Nobodies going to Jacksonville or St Louis to do either of those things.

The next stadium Daniel Snyder builds will have less capacity than FedEx. That's by design. More box suites for Corporate sponsors, less $100 seats for the "commoner". Those people can stay home and watch, and guess what... they will.

The NFL knows the fanbase better than the fanbase knows itself.

Deebo813

Hall of Famer
In regards to success, I'm saying very few people around the league measure themselves purely on SB victories. There are many, many players who measure themselves based on their individual performances. There are many franchises who consider winning divisions, playoff games, etc. to be the measurement of a successful season. There are Owners who's #1 measuring stick for a successful year is Net Income, not Net games won.

If fans think that 31 NFL teams and all of its players, coaches, Owners, etc. all think the year was a failure because they didn't win the Lombardi, then fans are sorely misguided.

As for the Tampa fans, no they won't. Florida in general (and especially Tampa) is one of the worst sports areas in the whole country. Tampa is historically terrible with sports franchises in terms of drawing fan interest, mostly because its a haven for retired old people and people who would rather spend time doing literally anything else rather than watch sports.

5 years after he's gone, season ticket sales will bottom out, and they'll go back to being what they were.
They may go back to being what they were but it still doesnt mean brady didnt bring fans to TB lol.. all 32 teams measure success on winning the SB.. that is the ultimate goal. Yes its baby steps to it but the goal is a SB.. the ones who thinks its not are the ones who cant get there.. like i say 10yrs from now, brady will still be responsible for some of TB revenue.. thats a fact. Its really simple tbh.

Last edited:

Deebo813

Hall of Famer
I never even vaguely suggested support doesn't matter. I said winning and support really have nothing to do with each other. I'm not sure anybody can provide an example that they do. I said fans only thing they care about is winning, and that's NOT the only thing players, coaches, or Owners care about. Fans may attempt to measure those people based on wins/losses, but fans don't have any say in their employment status or their decision making.

I don't think Daniel Snyder is nearly as concerned about stadium attendance as you think he is. Most of those people who stopped buying tickets just swapped a bleacher seat for a couch and a big screen. And that's why these teams have no issue moving to other cities, because the fanbase can easily carry with them, and most importantly, for the LA teams for example, they got multi-billion dollar complexes where they can hold a variety of things that have nothing to do with football, and make a ton of money off of them. The LA move isn't about a stadium or even about football... its an event center. Concerts, Super Bowls, College bowl games. Pretty much a limitless supply of outdoor activities (pre COVID that is) that said Owner can profit from.

Nobodies going to Jacksonville or St Louis to do either of those things.

The next stadium Daniel Snyder builds will have less capacity than FedEx. That's by design. More box suites for Corporate sponsors, less $100 seats for the "commoner". Those people can stay home and watch, and guess what... they will.

The NFL knows the fanbase better than the fanbase knows itself.
You underestimate the power of fans and their knowledge

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
They may go back to being what they were but it still doesnt mean brady didnt bring fans to TB lol.. all 32 teams measure success on winning the SB.. that is the ultimate goal. Yes its baby steps to it but the goal is a SB.. the ones who thinks its not are the ones who cant get there.. like i say 10yrs from now, brady will still be responsible for some of TB revenue.. thats a fact. Its really simple tbh.
Sure he brought fans to TB. Just like he brought fans to NE. And the guy that replaces him will bring fans to TB too. Some will leave, some will become new fans. Its cyclical.

Just calling something a fact doesn't make it a fact. You're predicting something. A prediction, by definition, can't be a fact, because its predicated on information you simply don't have in order for something to become a fact.

The only thing "factual" about your thought process is that you don't have a very good understanding of what a fact is.

Deebo813

Hall of Famer
Sure he brought fans to TB. Just like he brought fans to NE. And the guy that replaces him will bring fans to TB too. Some will leave, some will become new fans. Its cyclical.

Just calling something a fact doesn't make it a fact. You're predicting something. A prediction, by definition, can't be a fact, because its predicated on information you simply don't have in order for something to become a fact.

The only thing "factual" about your thought process is that you don't have a very good understanding of what a fact is.
I dnt think youre getting at what im saying. im a Ravens fan because mainly because of ray lewis.. 20yrs from now, im still gonna be a ravens fan and purchasing ravens gear, therefore the team will make money off me. Why? ray lewis!! People will still be buying tom brady jerseys for the next 10-20yrs.. those people that will be at those games 10-20yrs from now,some of them will be there because a decade before that, brady made them a fan. If you think players success and legacy with teams dont matter nor do they still make the franchise money 10-20 yrs from now and especially 5, i dnt know what to tell you..i mean people are still buying joe montana jerseys. Joe montana fans are still at the niners games lol. Now if you expecting TB to be like raiders fans, i doubt that will happen.Brady may have started a whole new era in TB. He brung a whole different mentality to that team bro and the org..

Last edited:

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
LOL, I don't care if they're remembered or not. How it Tom Brady going to make Tampa money 10 years from now? Answer... he's not.

Sure they'll get remembered. But the team will be making money long after they're gone.

I don't even care about whether Brady has a rich wife or not. 25 year old Brady and 30 year old Brady thought exactly like every other 25-30 year old QB did...pay me my money. Paid first, win second.

As for Evans, has he taken the paycut, or has he merely "said" he would take a paycut. Lots of guys say a bunch of nonsense to get hype in the media, and most of them don't follow through. If I were a betting man, no paycut will happen. He'll restructure to get paid MORE, earlier, in exchange for a reduced salary cap.

AND if he did take a paycut... I still wouldn't be impressed. Why is he waiting until he made nearly $70M to discuss paycut? So in 2021 its about winning, but in 2018, it was about... what, exactly? When you signed an $82.5M contract at market value, was that about winning first? Why not take less then?

Money first, winning second. There are almost no examples that contradict this.
no reason for the players to be taking a paycut until the Owners take a paycut.

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
I dnt think youre getting at what im saying. im a Ravens fan because mainly because of ray lewis.. 20yrs from now, im still gonna be a ravens fan and purchasing ravens gear, therefore the team will make money off me. Why? ray lewis!! People will still be buying tom brady jerseys for the next 10-20yrs.. those people that will be at those games 10-20yrs from now,some of them will be there because a decade before that, brady made them a fan. If you think players success and legacy with teams dont matter nor do they still make the franchise money 10-20 yrs from now and especially 5, i dnt know what to tell you..i mean people are still buying joe montana jerseys. Joe montana fans are still at the niners games lol. Now if you expecting TB to be like raiders fans, i doubt that will happen.Brady may have started a whole new era in TB. He brung a whole different mentality to that team bro and the org..
I think you're missing my point. You're in the minority. Your scenario doesn't represent why most people watch football or pick teams to root for. Its usually not because of one player. Most people get team allegiances via a) geography, i.e. where they grew up or b) something that was shared through parents, family, etc.
What you're describing aren't Tampa fans. They're Brady fans. They'll cheer for whatever team Brady plays on. It's sort of like the LeBron effect. They're not Cavs fans. Or Heat fans. Or Laker fans. They're Lebron fans. They root for whatever team he plays on.

Will there be some Tampa fans who remain Tampa fans after Brady is gone? Sure. It just won't be like millions of people.

The reality, and the NFL has done polling to show this, is that the majority of people who watch NFL games don't root for any team in particular. They watch it because they love football, they watch it because the bet on it, and they watch it because they play fantasy sports and have a vested interest in the outcomes. Most NFL fans don't really care about individual players or even team allegiances.

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
no reason for the players to be taking a paycut until the Owners take a paycut.
I mean yeah, but that's obviously not how business works.

The Owner doesn't have to take a paycut because he's the Owner. If the player refuses to voluntarily take a paycut, he risks an involuntary paycut, i.e. job termination. That's not true of the Owner.

Plus, technically speaking, the Owners "compensation" deviates exponentially more than any players does. Some years NFL teams make $50M, some years they make like a million dollars. I posted an article awhile back on the Packers, who are largely a "publicly owned company (though not really), and they had one year (I believe it was 2018) where their operating profit was like $1M or something. That's all the business made. Practically all of their players made more than that.

Now that was an abnormal year, because that was the year they paid Rodgers like $67M and they were doing costly stadium renovations.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
I mean yeah, but that's obviously not how business works.

The Owner doesn't have to take a paycut because he's the Owner. If the player refuses to voluntarily take a paycut, he risks an involuntary paycut, i.e. job termination. That's not true of the Owner.

Plus, technically speaking, the Owners "compensation" deviates exponentially more than any players does. Some years NFL teams make $50M, some years they make like a million dollars. I posted an article awhile back on the Packers, who are largely a "publicly owned company (though not really), and they had one year (I believe it was 2018) where their operating profit was like $1M or something. That's all the business made. Practically all of their players made more than that.

Now that was an abnormal year, because that was the year they paid Rodgers like $67M and they were doing costly stadium renovations.
you didn't need to go in depth on the owner taking a paycut. The point is the player is RARELY going to take a paycut.

Deebo813

Hall of Famer
I think you're missing my point. You're in the minority. Your scenario doesn't represent why most people watch football or pick teams to root for. Its usually not because of one player. Most people get team allegiances via a) geography, i.e. where they grew up or b) something that was shared through parents, family, etc.
What you're describing aren't Tampa fans. They're Brady fans. They'll cheer for whatever team Brady plays on. It's sort of like the LeBron effect. They're not Cavs fans. Or Heat fans. Or Laker fans. They're Lebron fans. They root for whatever team he plays on.

Will there be some Tampa fans who remain Tampa fans after Brady is gone? Sure. It just won't be like millions of people.

The reality, and the NFL has done polling to show this, is that the majority of people who watch NFL games don't root for any team in particular. They watch it because they love football, they watch it because the bet on it, and they watch it because they play fantasy sports and have a vested interest in the outcomes. Most NFL fans don't really care about individual players or even team allegiances.
Bball is different from football lol. People are still patriot fans because of brady lol.. i see you dont wanna be wrong lol!

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
you didn't need to go in depth on the owner taking a paycut. The point is the player is RARELY going to take a paycut.
I mean... its not that rare. Its rare for a player of high value, like Evans, to take a paycut. But players who have diminished values take paycuts all the time, out of fear of getting paid even less on the open market.

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
Bball is different from football lol. People are still patriot fans because of brady lol.. i see you dont wanna be wrong lol!
Yeah, but you're basing that off a sample that's less than 12 months old. Boston is a notorious "fair weather" town to begin with. Give me 5 years of Patriots play like you saw in 2020 and your statements won't hold up.

"People" can literally be as small as like 2 people. I'm not interested in talking about the smallest of minorities. I care about the reason the majority of people do things.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
I mean... its not that rare. Its rare for a player of high value, like Evans, to take a paycut. But players who have diminished values take paycuts all the time, out of fear of getting paid even less on the open market.
that's kind of what I mean. Elite players outside of Brady rarely do this.

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
that's kind of what I mean. Elite players outside of Brady rarely do this.
Right. As I mentioned, IF Evans actually does something to help the team, it'll be in the form of like a contract restructure, not necessarily a paycut. He's got a $16.6M cap hit with a $12.25M salary, which isn't guaranteed. He could convert something like $9M of his salary into a bonus, get paid the same $12.25M this year that he was already due to make, and reduce his current year cap number by $6M.

To the public it looks like a "paycut" because his current year salary cap number is lower. But in reality, he just pushed some of it into future years, while making the same amount of money. That's typically what these high-end players do to "help the team".

JAAM

Hall of Famer
Trash, ya'll all TRASH.

GT MUSTANG GANG GANG
Boiiiiiii don’t be joining the Challenger Gang-Gang when that sexy GT dies at 50k miles ;)

UPennChem

Hall of Famer
Flacco and Perriman played in 2 games together as members of the Jets last year. On MNF vs the pats, Perriman put up over 100 yards and had a 50 yard bomb TD. That was over a quarter of Perrimans yards for the year that game.

I always look back on the Perriman pick and just wonder what would have happened if he didn't get hurt and if Walker didn't pass tragically and if his father wasn't in poor health. I feel like he had a real rough go at it to start his career. I'm glad he seems to have carved a nice WR3 role for himself.