• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The Random Thought Thread

Thezone27

Ravens Ring of Honor
thank god the NFL doesn't have 44 teams. Imagine how watered down the talent would be. I still remember the days when there were 28.
New expansion teams to make the NFL have 40 teams.
Chicago Embers
Orlando Yachts
Memphis Egyptians
Oklahoma Natives
Portland Armada
Milwaukee Loners
Louisville Lamars
Omaha Ralliers

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I want to hate Burrow so much because he's a division rival. But I feel like I can't because he's exactly what I expected him to be coming out and I love that he carries himself like he is the man, because well... he fucking is.

Yeah, other than being a bengal, he’s never given me a reason to hate him

He is exactly what he looked like coming out… which is one of the cleanest QB prospects in recent NFL history - I get that it was only 1 year but draftniks should have been talking about Burrow the way they talked about TLaw

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Can't wait until our boy also re-enters this conversation and remind these non-believers what the deal is.

I think he is in that conversation - just look at what he’s done at the beginning of the last 2 seasons - both years he’s started by looking like an MVP before either having a dip in form or losing key weapons

Allen didn’t have great weapons this year either (although nothing close to what Lamar and Huntley had) and I think if Lamar doesn’t get injured we probably see him talked about with Allen and maybe burrow and mahomes (especially if the ravens pull out the WC win in this hypothetical redo)

purplepittabread88

Staff Member
Administrator
If Lamar was healthy this year, we would have beaten the bengals, played the choking bills, and would have gotten mahomes with a broken ankle.

What could have been

OURavensFan

Ravens Ring of Honor
Well, @OURavensFan , the rivalry is back on from last season. Either the Bengals win it all and it's a nightmare for you and all of us or he once again gets roasted again if he loses.
It’s funny to me the bromance with the Bills fanbase is finally gone. I tried to tell them how insufferable and obnoxious the Bengals fans are and now they know

BoredMarine13

Ravens Ring of Honor

BoredMarine13

Ravens Ring of Honor
Recently listened to a podcast talk about the Joe Flacco contract in 13. I had forgotten that the Ravens didn’t have the cap flexibility to tag him. They really were screwed and had to sign him to a then monster deal. Imagine in an alternate universe we tagged and traded Joe or tagged him and he played average as always like 2013. May have ended up with Geno Smith or Johnny Manziel lol

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
Recently listened to a podcast talk about the Joe Flacco contract in 13. I had forgotten that the Ravens didn’t have the cap flexibility to tag him. They really were screwed and had to sign him to a then monster deal. Imagine in an alternate universe we tagged and traded Joe or tagged him and he played average as always like 2013. May have ended up with Geno Smith or Johnny Manziel lol
So it's actually worse than that. It wasn't so much the actual contract itself, as that was fairly reasonable for what he had accomplished.
It was the structure. His year 1 cap hit was like $6M on a $20M/AAV extension. Because they were so short on the cap, they had to backload the shit out of his deal, which means it was basically a 3 year deal that had to be extended again in 2016, which is precisely what happened.

So he ended up playing the same amount of years (6) that he signed before, but they had to extend his contract further and give him a slight pay raise, in 2016, coming off an injury, because of how poorly the original deal was structured.