• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Bring Your Dog to Practice Night: WORST Idea Ever

K-Dog

MVP
I am allergic to dogs. ( Yes I am aware of the irony with my screen name. It was a nickname not of my choosing )

Some dogs are worse than others. Retrievers and labs are by far the worst. Within minutes of being around one my eyes strat swelling my throat closes, my face breaks out.

So yeah. I won't be there that night. You guys will have to have fun without me.

Jacquouille

Ravens Ring of Honor
Supporter
I'm glad I'm not the only one who finds that idea stupid. Like, what are you gonna do with your dog trying to watch the players?

29BmoreBird22

Staff Member
Writer
I don't find it dumb because of allergies, nor do I think it's bad because one night for animals is a good idea.

I just think of my two puppies and how they'd behave and I go, "Maybe not this year..."

Rav'n Maniac

Practice Squad
I am allergic to dogs. ( Yes I am aware of the irony with my screen name. It was a nickname not of my choosing )

Some dogs are worse than others. Retrievers and labs are by far the worst. Within minutes of being around one my eyes strat swelling my throat closes, my face breaks out.

So yeah. I won't be there that night. You guys will have to have fun without me.
Sorry you have such reactions to dogs. It's sad that you'll never be able to experience the unconditional love that most provide.

I have raised golden retrievers most of my adult life and I must say that I would be lost without one by my side. They become family, all have been my shadow, always there to warm my heart.

As far as dog night, I'm not too keen on the idea. For some, it will be great way to bond. I just feel it's not fair to the animals, especially with other dogs in the vicinity they'll certainly want to check out.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Sorry you have such reactions to dogs. It's sad that you'll never be able to experience the unconditional love that most provide.

I have raised golden retrievers most of my adult life and I must say that I would be lost without one by my side. They become family, all have been my shadow, always there to warm my heart.

As far as dog night, I'm not too keen on the idea. For some, it will be great way to bond. I just feel it's not fair to the animals, especially with other dogs in the vicinity they'll certainly want to check out.

it doesnt really make sense unless they allow the dogs on the field (maybe that's the plan to increase difficulty for the players in practice...)
like what the hell are dogs gonna do in a stadium other than want to check out each other and the massive green thing in front...
also what about dealing with the inevitable dog shit...

K-Dog

MVP

I am sure there are those who will argue....

I am a cat person. I have had cats most of my life. I have three at the moment.
I get unconditional love and support. Not from all of them mind you.
A cats reputation is well earned.

Rav'n Maniac

Practice Squad
I am sure there are those who will argue....

I am a cat person. I have had cats most of my life. I have three at the moment.
I get unconditional love and support. Not from all of them mind you.
A cats reputation is well earned.
Sorry bud. I meant well, just assumed it was a total fur/dander thing for you. Cats are cool as well and just as important to their owners. Never raised one but have plenty of friends and family who do and their animals always seem to warm up to me when I visit. I guess most can sense animal people.

Edgar

Ravens Ring of Honor

Sorry about the allergies.
I've had labs my whole life and couldn't imagine them not being around. Really nothing like that bond.
On the subject of practice, I'd say it's certainly a head scratcher.
I remember dogs weren't allowed at McDaniel even with the fields all around.

It just seems the FO is a little out of touch with its fan base generally.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Sorry about the allergies.
I've had labs my whole life and couldn't imagine them not being around. Really nothing like that bond.
On the subject of practice, I'd say it's certainly a head scratcher.
I remember dogs weren't allowed at McDaniel even with the fields all around.

It just seems the FO is a little out of touch with its fan base generally.

feels more like a kevin byrne idea to me... that guy is sometimes brilliant but often not and I do appreciate the articles he pumps out in the season (ironically as often as eisenberg does...) - how the ravens were thought of as a top pr team is beyond me though

K-Dog

MVP
Sorry bud. I meant well, just assumed it was a total fur/dander thing for you. Cats are cool as well and just as important to their owners. Never raised one but have plenty of friends and family who do and their animals always seem to warm up to me when I visit. I guess most can sense animal people.

Believe it or not the alergies are triggered by saliva / breath.

I don't pretend to understand.

Boldnpurpblack

Practice Squad
Yea this promotion didnt seem well thought out.

Sometimes when a dogs gotta go, a dogs gotta go... and lots of people are going to be walking around that. Yea you can say you have to clean up after your own animal, but its tough enough getting everyone to actually get their business into the urinals/toilets at regular games, let alone trust them to clean up after their pets.

Then youve got people who will undoubtedly bring their aggressive dogs out, or ones who havent yet tested out how their dog fares amongst a crowd of other dogs. Even if they're not aggressive, there are those that suffer severe anxiety when around a bunch of other animals.

The risk that not all the animals have been spayed/neutered. Potential lawsuit if someone goes to pet another persons pet without consent and gets bit...

And i get that people love to show off their beloved pets, and for good reason a lot of times.... but we're talking cement concourses and uncomfortable seating -- no grass to run around -- so whats in it for the dogs?

Not a whole lot of upside.... tons of potential down side i see.

Edgar

Ravens Ring of Honor
feels more like a kevin byrne idea to me... that guy is sometimes brilliant but often not and I do appreciate the articles he pumps out in the season (ironically as often as eisenberg does...) - how the ravens were thought of as a top pr team is beyond me though
Yeah, the access to behind the scenes stuff and basic team coverage has become less and less.
Some of this is tied to Harbaugh directly. And this is of course his prerogative.
But it plays a lot better when the team is winning so that it at least appears there might be a correlation.

Willbacker

Ravens Ring of Honor
I probably should take my dog (in the avatar) to meet his namesake Yanda. Guess I can leave his brother Grubbs at home lol.

SepticeyePoe

Hall of Famer
If that is the fireworks night I am gonna try to go.
It is the fireworks night. I went to the one 3 years ago and I saw Bisciotti driving Ray around in a golf cart. I also got some guys (KO, Deonte Thompson, Morgan Cox, Elam, Will Hill, and maybe Orr) to sign my Ngata jersey. The fireworks were canceled, but they were pretty cool when I went the next year.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator

Believe it or not the alergies are triggered by saliva / breath.

I don't pretend to understand.
I've never met anyone who was allergic to dogs and not allergic to cats. That is unless you have one with hair and not fur. I myself, although am not allergic to dogs have two shiny tzus. They have hair, not fur, and are hypo allergenic.

That being said, I agree this is not a good idea and obviously not well thought out.

SepticeyePoe

Hall of Famer
I doubt it's the fireworks night because the pound sounds are not good for dogs.
It's a separate practice for the fireworks. The fireworks are on 7/30, military appreciation is 8/5, and the dog practice is 8/12.