• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

2020 DL Draft Thread

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Starting properly on some DL tape - some initial impressions so far on the consensus top guys

Derrick Brown is not as far ahead of Javon Kinlaw as I had been led to believe - both are fairly raw still and both got by in college from what ive seen so far with pure athleticism and some hand usage - id say Derrick Brown is the superior prospect but i dont think the gap between them is that big - they are both physically dominant players with a lot to refine

which kinda leads me on to marlon davidson who i think im pegging as a DL but still not fully sure but I think he's an interior DL who's spent most of his time in college on the edge and what im seeing is that he knows as an "edge" rusher that he doesnt have the speed to win the outside arc so has learned to attack tackles in different ways which is why i think he transitions well as a pass rusher inside because he still has the mass and length and strength to overpower the interior lineman but also has better relative speed vs an IOL - really frustrating the lack of tape to watch on davidson and he definitely has improved even during the senior bowl (albeit maybe a lower level of competition although not sure tbh) - has some violent hands though

then again he's shown some nice things rushing from the outside and also playing the run outside too

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
Marlon Davidson has moved firmly into one of my favorites for our 2nd pick.

Regardless of what we get in round 1 Davidson would be a good pick, if we picked a DL or edge in round 1 Davidson would still work, he’s a mover imo, you’d be silly to put him only in one spot, as he should be a thoroughly dominant run defender on the edge and a pretty effective interior rusher and that is a beautiful thing in a wink defense, a lot of folks had an idea about Ferguson as a part time interior rusher but Davidson looks much more the part than Ferguson ever did.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Marlon Davidson has moved firmly into one of my favorites for our 2nd pick.

Regardless of what we get in round 1 Davidson would be a good pick, if we picked a DL or edge in round 1 Davidson would still work, he’s a mover imo, you’d be silly to put him only in one spot, as he should be a thoroughly dominant run defender on the edge and a pretty effective interior rusher and that is a beautiful thing in a wink defense, a lot of folks had an idea about Ferguson as a part time interior rusher but Davidson looks much more the part than Ferguson ever did.

Davidson is definitely more physically the kind of guy who can play that mcphee/ZDS role on passing downs if that's what we want from here - he's definitely a flexible rusher but he's got the physicality to be on the field every down if you need

he's oddly got better get off i think when he's stood up but i also prefer him inside so some things to think about for me with regards to how i value him but I've definitely got him firmly in the DL in my rankings right now

Edgar

Ravens Ring of Honor
Derrick Brown caught my eye two years ago as someone who looked like a first round pick and was clearly dominant. I don't make time to watch guys that we don't presume to have a shot at drafting. But just watching him vs. LSU for three plays.....man. You better double team that guy

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Derrick Brown caught my eye two years ago as someone who looked like a first round pick and was clearly dominant. I don't make time to watch guys that we don't presume to have a shot at drafting. But just watching him vs. LSU for three plays.....man. You better double team that guy

whenever ive been watching offensive tape against auburn he always catches my eye it seems like every other play

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Justin Madubuike is so powerful - borderline uncontainable when left 1v1 - better hand usage in 2019 vs 2018 - really explosive but quite raw still player - hes not as tall as some of the other DL in this class but athletically he's as explosive as almost anyone else in the class ive watched so far

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Ross Blacklock is awesome - physically and athletically gifted and so powerful with some nice burst - has done really well 2-gapping as well but shown the ability to penetrate too in a way that's exciting - would like to see him try and disengage more when he's 1v1 rather than just slowly bullying his opposite man as a pass rusher - he controls the LoS but I would like to see him be more proactive trying to get off blocks in the passing game - that being said the amount of times ive seen him bull 2 guys when they try and double-team him is outrageous - has shown the upside of a nice little arm-over/swim move to split a double team but inconsistent with those disengage moves - but when he does its almost guaranteed he's going to get a pressure of some sort (hurry/hit/sack)

have seen him inconsistently show nice hand usage but again he's quite reliant on his athletic gifts right now but he has all the physical tools to be special as a nose

rossihunter2

Staff Member
ooft I do not like Raekwon Davis - he's towering and huge and powerful but he gets out-leveraged a lot in both the pass and running game - he's at his best in the run game resetting the LoS but he's not a consistently dominant penetrator for his physical attributes - offers very little overall as a pass rusher, like he should with his length and power be able to disengage better but just ploughs into stonewalls consistently where he's not at his best

he's got some decent tools but he should be better than he is - disappointing lack of development from 2017 to 2019 which is concerning given that part of any excitement id have about him is that he's got the tools to develop... but he isnt developing - i just wish he was more violent and explosive

allblackraven

Hall of Famer
ooft I do not like Raekwon Davis - he's towering and huge and powerful but he gets out-leveraged a lot in both the pass and running game - he's at his best in the run game resetting the LoS but he's not a consistently dominant penetrator for his physical attributes - offers very little overall as a pass rusher, like he should with his length and power be able to disengage better but just ploughs into stonewalls consistently where he's not at his best

he's got some decent tools but he should be better than he is - disappointing lack of development from 2017 to 2019 which is concerning given that part of any excitement id have about him is that he's got the tools to develop... but he isnt developing - i just wish he was more violent and explosive
He is a JAG. Had good games more or less consistently only when that D line was monstrously good in 2017.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
He is a JAG. Had good games more or less consistently only when that D line was monstrously good in 2017.

yeah - noticing the DL class is really petering out after the top 6 guys - lots of JAGs with physical attributes that might get them drafted earlier than i would want - Davis among them - watched Davis, rashard lawrence, jordan elliott all in a row and decided to move to a different position because i was getting pissed off lol

allblackraven

Hall of Famer
yeah - noticing the DL class is really petering out after the top 6 guys - lots of JAGs with physical attributes that might get them drafted earlier than i would want - Davis among them - watched Davis, rashard lawrence, jordan elliott all in a row and decided to move to a different position because i was getting pissed off lol
Yeah, maybe some of them are worth a shot on day 3 but only if we already picked a guy or two earlier and /or in FA. Doubt too many would be available day 3 though.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Yeah, maybe some of them are worth a shot on day 3 but only if we already picked a guy or two earlier and /or in FA. Doubt too many would be available day 3 though.

i like the guys at the top but my word does the talent fall off a cliff fast unless im missing 3-4 absolute gems

the only guys ive heard might be a threat to be a decently high pick that i havent got to yet is Leki Fotu

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
Did you catch larrell murchison? Possible round 2 guy who I’ve been pretty high on

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
not yet - Larrell Murchison though is on my list of DL to get to along with Leki Fotu, Davon Hamilton, Jason Strowbridge, Bravvion Roy, Josiah Coatney, Benito Jones, Nick Coe, Robert Windsor - but ill bump him up the list - will try and get through some more of these guys tonight
of the guys I’ve watched there, leki fotu is a very lengthy NT or possibly just 5T space eater project, plays a bit like Brent urban but moves more like a NT. Strowbridge I heard did well at SB practices but I did watch a game of his and came away unimpressed, he was super twitchy but often totally stonewalled and lost. Haven’t watched any others though

rossihunter2

Staff Member
of the guys I’ve watched there, leki fotu is a very lengthy NT or possibly just 5T space eater project, plays a bit like Brent urban but moves more like a NT. Strowbridge I heard did well at SB practices but I did watch a game of his and came away unimpressed, he was super twitchy but often totally stonewalled and lost. Haven’t watched any others though

strowbridge is on the list purely because of the senior bowl - matt patricia seemed to like him and he had some good reps - but he's also the lowest ranked DL on Matt Miller's board lol so i was interested

Leki Fotu from what ive watched so far is a bizarre prospect - super quick first step for a nose tackle - albeit i think he's probably better off in a 1-gap system because he's at his best when he's allowed to penetrate - has some issues with leverage... his chest is enormous and so its really difficult for him to avoid the strikes of a good/patient guard which leaves him limited in his ability to rush - so he has to win early post-snap to win (ill be interested to see how long his arms are at the combine) - that being said he's so physically powerful and has such quickness for someone so huge but seems really stiff and inflexible which will allow him to be controlled pretty easily in the pros if that's unsolvable

UPDATE: So while the USC tape is awesome for Fotu, the Oregon tape is more mixed - he's a really interesting prospect with some serious plus traits - for someone that big though there's too many instances of him getting too easily washed down the line of scrimmage - then again there's also many instances where he shows off his talents

Last edited:

rossihunter2

Staff Member
@JoeyFlex5 have you found any good tape for murchison - the only decent cut-up from this season ive got is WVU and ngl its not showing him off in a good light - but i saw him at the senior bowl and was impressed there

which game would you recommend i try and find tape on him from - please dont say FSU because im not sure i can bare to watch that OL again...

but in this WVU game im absolutely hating the way they use him and tbh their defensive scheme as a whole seems pretty lacking - but heyho - lots of grand conclusions from only 1 game of tape

rossihunter2

Staff Member
ok im a big fan of Davon Hamilton

• strong at the point of attack - holds up and beats double teams at a pretty decent lick as well as dominating the LoS in general
  • pretty explosive given his size
  • great vision and awareness - really quick to read
  • really disciplined
  • shown some nice hand usage on some rips and swims (and other pass rush moves)
would like to see him come off his bull-rush a little earlier sometimes - he's a huge and powerful human being but sometimes allows himself to stay locked in for too long and doesnt disengage sometimes - then again other times he's violent

he creates decent pressure for someone who often anchors the front and gets doubled (does well getting his hand up in the lane too when doubled out of a pass rush) but he doesnt have a lot of sack production or crazy amounts of hits so finishing would be a big area of improvement but he's a monster against the run

really like him in a fairly murky DL class

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
@JoeyFlex5 have you found any good tape for murchison - the only decent cut-up from this season ive got is WVU and ngl its not showing him off in a good light - but i saw him at the senior bowl and was impressed there

which game would you recommend i try and find tape on him from - please dont say FSU because im not sure i can bare to watch that OL again...

but in this WVU game im absolutely hating the way they use him and tbh their defensive scheme as a whole seems pretty lacking - but heyho - lots of grand conclusions from only 1 game of tape
I watched tape on murchison a while back, like he was probably the 3rd DL prospect I watched after kinlaw and brown, so I can’t recall. But what I did recall was a guy who wasn’t scheme diverse or well rounded but a definite 3tech disruptor, let him 1 gap from the 3 and he will disrupt in the run game and he will produce pressures and sacks in the pass rush, very quick off the line, very low, goddamn Mayweather hands with the quickness, and skinny in the gap. Although I don’t recall any kind of skill set suggesting he can hold his ground in a 2 gap or maintain any kind of gap integrity

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I watched tape on murchison a while back, like he was probably the 3rd DL prospect I watched after kinlaw and brown, so I can’t recall. But what I did recall was a guy who wasn’t scheme diverse or well rounded but a definite 3tech disruptor, let him 1 gap from the 3 and he will disrupt in the run game and he will produce pressures and sacks in the pass rush, very quick off the line, very low, goddamn Mayweather hands with the quickness, and skinny in the gap. Although I don’t recall any kind of skill set suggesting he can hold his ground in a 2 gap or maintain any kind of gap integrity

that's interesting because im seeing him 2-gap a lot on the tape ive found and it initially made me feel like his first step wasnt that great - im not as impressed as i was hoping to be by murchison but his senior bowl practices were really good and have done him a lot of good in my mind