• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

2020 DL Draft Thread

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
Before we lose sight of the initial subject, I'm not trying to advocate for any scheme, I don't care for any tbh. I just know the team and the philosophy well enough to know they're not drafting a DT in the first round if he doesn't have generational talent or isn't a fit.
And while this class has some names in the 20-35, I don't really find one that strikes me as a future Raven.
And all of that has a lot to do with why the ravens for so long had a top 5 unit and it always felt like a lie, because we did a lot of things well but when a qb got hot we could never stop them because we got no pressure and had not nearly enough players in coverage.

now I’ll admit winks scheme is better than that, that was more of a pees problem, and wink so far has proven to be a similar DC but just naturally more aggressive, but I really would like to see us actually stop a pat mahomes for once, can’t do that if he can step up cleanly in the pocket and find the open man because we have single man coverage across the board and still no pressure..
This is where you have the Fergusons, Wards and Mcphees kick inside and eat.
But they don’t generate that much pressure from the inside and we also don’t have edge rushers and we’re kicking our only ones inside now lol

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Before we lose sight of the initial subject, I'm not trying to advocate for any scheme, I don't care for any tbh. I just know the team and the philosophy well enough to know they're not drafting a DT in the first round if he doesn't have generational talent or isn't a fit.
And while this class has some names in the 20-35, I don't really find one that strikes me as a future Raven.

that's of course true - but that fit is not just as simple as saying 2-gapper - i look at the best DL we've had in recent memory and see someone who does both - Haloti Ngata could plug and control the holes as a 2-gapping DL inside but who could explode and penetrate as a 1-gapping DL in the passing game if he needs to

so when im looking at that group from 20-35 as you say im looking at what they can do on tape and i look at someone like madubuike and i see someone who clearly can do both on tape - to a lesser extent blacklock as well (not so much gallimore though)

Jacquouille

Ravens Ring of Honor
Supporter
that's of course true - but that fit is not just as simple as saying 2-gapper - i look at the best DL we've had in recent memory and see someone who does both - Haloti Ngata could plug and control the holes as a 2-gapping DL inside but who could explode and penetrate as a 1-gapping DL in the passing game if he needs to

so when im looking at that group from 20-35 as you say im looking at what they can do on tape and i look at someone like madubuike and i see someone who clearly can do both on tape - to a lesser extent blacklock as well (not so much gallimore though)
Oh yeah it's so simple as saying we just two gap. I'm just trying to portray what we could be looking for. Blacklock looks promising I must say. I didn't think Madubuike was special the first time I watched him but I'll give it another go.

Jacquouille

Ravens Ring of Honor
Supporter
I need to further clarify. I like Blacklock and Gallimore and if we get them no doubt we'll be able to incorporate them in our scheme as a Michael Pierce replacement (sort of). I just don't think the coaching staff values that position enough to spend a first round pick.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Oh yeah it's so simple as saying we just two gap. I'm just trying to portray what we could be looking for. Blacklock looks promising I must say. I didn't think Madubuike was special the first time I watched him but I'll give it another go.

the problem at DL is that the talent level seems to fall off a cliff a couple of times - after you get past the Madubuike, Blacklock, Gallimore, Davidson and Elliott (if you count him) then there's a drop-off down to davon hamilton, raekwon davis, leki fotu who all have positive traits but are flawed in certain areas and then there's another huge drop-off down to day 3 where it's a mess of raw guys, boring guys etc.

i see a fit with almost all of the top 10 DL in some fashion

Jacquouille

Ravens Ring of Honor
Supporter
But they don’t generate that much pressure from the inside and we also don’t have edge rushers and we’re kicking our only ones inside now lol
That's more than faire, but I truste them to grow next season and we definitely will pump some outside pass rushers

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I need to further clarify. I like Blacklock and Gallimore and if we get them no doubt we'll be able to incorporate them in our scheme as a Michael Pierce replacement (sort of). I just don't think the coaching staff values that position enough to spend a first round pick.

you may be right about that - since 2006 when we drafted Haloti Ngata we've spent 2nd round picks on Terrence Cody, Timmy Jernigan and 3rd round picks on Brandon Williams, Carl Davis and Chris Wormley - does Bronson Kaufusi count?

in 14 years we've spent 5 day 2 picks and no day 1 picks on defensive linemen - that being said we've gone after high ceiling type players on day 3 (like Brent Urban and Willie Henry) but we've not really invested high capital into the position you're absolutely right

but in the same way that we've recently addressed our lack of shots on WRs (and EDC literally commented last year that we would have to start taking more swings), I think some self-assessment might tell us that we need to start taking some swings at DL but maybe that's not this draft...

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
That's more than faire, but I truste them to grow next season and we definitely will pump some outside pass rushers
I actually do feel pretty decent about Ferguson by year 3, I think he’s got such a learning curve and also maybe some weight room work to do before he gets there, idk about year 2 though

Jacquouille

Ravens Ring of Honor
Supporter
I actually do feel pretty decent about Ferguson by year 3, I think he’s got such a learning curve and also maybe some weight room work to do before he gets there, idk about year 2 though
Yeah we will see but I'm with you that he has a lot of work to do to reach his potential

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
Madubuike has caught my eye. Watched a game
Tonight, watched a game months ago, liked him before, love him after the second watch. He looks like a raven, what stands out is his girth and athleticism and lateral movement, he seems to control the line of scrimmage very well, he isn’t just anchoring down and being a fat boi but he seems to be in control of multiple gaps at once and is also showing some twitch and penetrating. Love his hustle and speed when he’s going after ball carriers in the open field.

doubt he’s available late 2nd but man I wouldn’t mind that one. I have a strange feeling he ends up a kinda obscure first round pick and does well, like a Seattle or Tennessee or NE

Jacquouille

Ravens Ring of Honor
Supporter
Ross Blacklock is going to be my guy. After rewatching all of the top DL he really stands out, he is just good everywhere. His technique is a mess but he has so much tools to work with.