• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

TC Injury Rant Thread

ALI624

Pro Bowler
It is not as bad as Bridewater's knee injury. He dislocated his kneecap and nearly lost his leg.

JO_75

Hall of Famer
Considering the amount of injuries from today, I would say every team runs their camp like Harbaugh.

Grim

Ravens Ring of Honor
I think that it's hard to call Nico's injury career ending but it certainly could be if he doesn't stay positive or get the best care. I'm sure he'll get great care so the real question is him imo. Obviously you need your knees to bend and get low but he's not a skill player who has to make sharp cuts here. I feel better about Siragusa recovering from this than I would others. Obviously you need a guy to be nimble and quick footed at OL for pass pro, but unless there is nerve damage I don't think Nico will have his career end or never be the same.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
I think that it's hard to call Nico's injury career ending but it certainly could be if he doesn't stay positive or get the best care. I'm sure he'll get great care so the real question is him imo. Obviously you need your knees to bend and get low but he's not a skill player who has to make sharp cuts here. I feel better about Siragusa recovering from this than I would others. Obviously you need a guy to be nimble and quick footed at OL for pass pro, but unless there is nerve damage I don't think Nico will have his career end or never be the same.
As someone who has had a torn knee ligament for nearly 6 years now, applying force from the legs up is risky, your knee can buckle any second and bearing extra weight(like pushing a DL) can make the knee buckling that much worse.

Now of course I haven't had it surgically repaired, let alone by NFL doctors. But after living with this I wonder how the hell players can come back from far worse and not skip a beat. It's unbelievable to me

allblackraven

Hall of Famer
Are we at least getting closer to revelation of what might be going on?

Plastic turf? No
Strength and conditioning trainers? No
Tough practices? Maybe

I think it's a CBA. If you can't practice properly for most of the year and have to cram everything into 40 days of camp and preseason, players cannot get "tough" as they used to be and are then even more exposed during the training camp. Just too much intensity over short period of time (add peak of the summer and weather conditions) for the body not used to it.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Are we at least getting closer to revelation of what might be going on?

Plastic turf? No
Strength and conditioning trainers? No
Tough practices? Maybe

I think it's a CBA. If you can't practice properly for most of the year and have to cram everything into 40 days of camp and preseason, players cannot get "tough" as they used to be and are then even more exposed during the training camp. Just too much intensity over short period of time (add peak of the summer and weather conditions) for the body not used to it.
Thank you for bringing this up. I've stated before that the CBA has something to do with it. People can't say Harbaughs practices are tougher than pre CBA practices from many teams and coaches that did multiple two a days. Plus tackling was much better because you could tackle more than once per week.

In my opinion I'd add ....
tough practices? No, not compared to pre CBA

Last edited:

K-Dog

MVP
In my opinion I'd add ....
tough practices? No, not compared to pre CBA

I agree.
Now I will admit, and pretty much everyone else here must concede that we don't know what really happens at practice. Educated guess and assumptions is as good as we can do.
Either way, I am pretty confidant it is nothing compared to an actual game . Especially a Steelers game. I would imagine training camp is a walk in the park compared to Steeler Sunday as far as physicality and physical abuse is concerned.

Last edited by a moderator:

Grim

Ravens Ring of Honor
As someone who has had a torn knee ligament for nearly 6 years now, applying force from the legs up is risky, your knee can buckle any second and bearing extra weight(like pushing a DL) can make the knee buckling that much worse.

Now of course I haven't had it surgically repaired, let alone by NFL doctors. But after living with this I wonder how the hell players can come back from far worse and not skip a beat. It's unbelievable to me
Doctors are great, that's a big part of it. Typically another thing to keep in mind is the stronger and more muscular the quadriceps are, the less likely it is to tear the ligaments in the knee because the muscle has a tendency to help prevent those injuries, surprisingly. If we can get his legs thick and solid, the chances of a recurring injury are far less. This is where rehab is critical, and if he keeps a positive outlook I would believe he can make a full recovery and be fine. Now, if there's nerve damage, that's a whole different story. Depends on how bad he messed up that knee. If it's just ligaments, it's bad but not career-ending for a lineman.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Doctors are great, that's a big part of it. Typically another thing to keep in mind is the stronger and more muscular the quadriceps are, the less likely it is to tear the ligaments in the knee because the muscle has a tendency to help prevent those injuries, surprisingly. If we can get his legs thick and solid, the chances of a recurring injury are far less. This is where rehab is critical, and if he keeps a positive outlook I would believe he can make a full recovery and be fine. Now, if there's nerve damage, that's a whole different story. Depends on how bad he messed up that knee. If it's just ligaments, it's bad but not career-ending for a lineman.
Our bodies are an amazing instrument and medical technology has come so far. It used to be a career ended when a skill player tore there acl or Achilles. Now they come back like nothing happened. Really incredible.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
Funny, one of my major knocks on goose was that he looked extremely top heavy and it reflected in his movement