• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

For the Ravens to Succeed in 2017...

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
with this string of injuries, a few things need to happen for the ravens to succeed this year, and some are long shots.

1. Stay healthy from here on out, unlikely.
2. Alex Lewis MUST have a massive leap, whether at RT or LG, he's gotta be excellent. If he's at LG, then hurst needs to just be serviceable at RT.
3. Jensen or skura need to be, at worst, a middle of the pack center, we can't have lapses in blitz pickups, we need to pave the way for the rbs
4. Terrence west needs to break 4ypc, 4.2+ with 800+ yards should serve us well
5. In tandem with #4 woodhead will need to have at least 500 yards from scrimmage an average 2 receiving first downs per game
6. One receiver needs to break 800, I like maclin to actually have a 80+ 1k+ year
7. One receiver needs to have a big YPR year
8. Flacco can not be in the top 5 in pass attempts, preferably not even top 10

Of all this, I think 1, 2 and 4 are the most unlikely, but if all of these can come close to happening, or if another guy can fill in the blanks left by someone else, then I actually think we can make some noise this year. No more doom and gloom, a lot of these are realistic.

Willbacker

Ravens Ring of Honor
Totally agree with #8.

#2 will happen if #1 doesn't happen 1st.

K-Dog

MVP
Play like the 2000 Ravens.

You can't tell me that team struck fear in anyone in August.

Adreme

Ravens Ring of Honor
8 will happen by definition if 4 happens. The only reason Flacco had so many attempts was because Zuttah was so bad at run blocking that they had to be pass happy to do anything.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
I'd like to add to @JoeyFlex5 list. Stanley has to be a top 3 to top 5 LT. If he can do this and Alex Lewis has a big jump, no matter his position, then out line stands a chance. If our line does above average then everything else should fall into place.

We also need a couple more signings along the OL.

Somerset Ravens

Pro Bowler
For the Ravens to succeed in 2017 we need to run the ball effectively. So 2,3,4 and 8 are very important. We must have balance on offense. Too many pass attempts by Flacco results in too many losses.

The one thing I would add to the list is that our defense needs to be stronger in the fourth quarter.

The Raven

Veteran
Anyway, my top three thoughts:

1. We're going to need Skura, Jensen, and Lewis to all be solid starters. There's a chance Skura becomes the center and Jensen plays guard or vice versa. But we're also going to need Eluemunor to grow up fast. The plan was clearly for him to wait in the wings as Goose stepped into the "6th man" role, but it's time for his bar mitzvah. There's a good chance we're gonna need him to take snaps at LG or maybe even RT if need be.

I do think that, as long as the oline is serviceable -- as in keeping sacks below 30 and averaging 4 YPC -- we'll be fine. I know everything seems terrible with the injuries but we do have the best receiving core we have ever had in my opinion. Keep Joe relatively clean and watch him throw for 5,000.

2. We're gonna need at least two double digit sack artists, or we're gonna need a lot of 5 sack defenders. There's a good chance of that. But we need it. We need to get sacks and hold defenses under 4.0 YPC.

3. Turnovers, turnovers, turnovers. This is our best secondary, even with Tavon and Canady hurt, in years, and they need to deliver. My worry is that Jimmy and Carr aren't exactly ballhawks, as I understand it.