• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

For the Ravens to Succeed in 2017...

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Anyway, my top three thoughts:

1. We're going to need Skura, Jensen, and Lewis to all be solid starters. There's a chance Skura becomes the center and Jensen plays guard or vice versa. But we're also going to need Eluemunor to grow up fast. The plan was clearly for him to wait in the wings as Goose stepped into the "6th man" role, but it's time for his bar mitzvah. There's a good chance we're gonna need him to take snaps at LG or maybe even RT if need be.

I do think that, as long as the oline is serviceable -- as in keeping sacks below 30 and averaging 4 YPC -- we'll be fine. I know everything seems terrible with the injuries but we do have the best receiving core we have ever had in my opinion. Keep Joe relatively clean and watch him throw for 5,000.

2. We're gonna need at least two double digit sack artists, or we're gonna need a lot of 5 sack defenders. There's a good chance of that. But we need it. We need to get sacks and hold defenses under 4.0 YPC.

3. Turnovers, turnovers, turnovers. This is our best secondary, even with Tavon and Canady hurt, in years, and they need to deliver. My worry is that Jimmy and Carr aren't exactly ballhawks, as I understand it.
Let's hope he masters his Torah Portion

K-Dog

MVP
I honestly think we just need our offense to be servicable, 4ypc on the ground and Flacco not playing like crap.

Reality is, if our defense is as advertised, our offence doesn't have to be great, good will be enough.

jboy19

Pro Bowler
If the Defense can consistently win the field position battle, then the offense may only need to go 20-30 yards a drive to be in field goal position.

Plus the AFC (aside from Pats and Steelers) doesn't have any really intimidating teams.

Oldfaithful

Hall of Famer
Alright. All seriousness.

For the Ravens to Succeed in 2017.

1. First and foremost Ryan Jensen has to at worst, be a solid starter. If he's solid, then the offense is solid. Now I'm going to be optimistic and hope that the scheme change benefits him greatly. I think we know what we have in Alex Lewis, as in he's a very good pass blocker. Austin Howard is a road grader who will help out the offensive line. If Jensen is a solid player, then we could have found our center for the immediate future. Which would be huge.
2. Alex Lewis also needs to take the next step. Lewis is a very good pass blocker. He's a bad run blocker though and can be a liability. If he becomes DECENT, the run blocking becomes that much better.
3. Marty needs to commit to the run. People seem to forget how good West looked last season when we actually decided to use him and not abandon him. Ideally, Roman being here indicates that we are going to run the ball more. But saying and acting upon these things are very different. As much as I'd love to add a Ryan Matthews, I think a trio of West, Allen, and Woodhead will be just find.
4. Offense needs to convert a lot more on third downs. This is one of the ones that gets overlooked. However, with Pitta gone we might be able to do this. Woodhead alone is likely to add an extra third down conversion a game on his own just because of how good he is after the catch. I think Maclin's addition will also help as he knows how to get open and is a very reliable player.
5. Breshad Perriman needs to break out- We have potentially our best group of WR's of all time. 3 fast dudes, and one of them is a great route runner, and two of them are some of the fastest players in the league. Perriman has the potential to be a star in the NFL. I'm slightly worried about him because according to some who went to the live practice, he dropped his fair share of balls. He needs to get more reps and playing time. Otherwise he's going to be a nightmare to deal with.
6. Maxx or Boyle need to break out- I'd prefer Maxx, but if Boyle takes the next step that's good too. One of these two will be the starter come the seasons end guarenteed. Both will likely see significant playing time. Both have good hands, both are good blockers. Boyle appears to be a better route runner, Maxx is better after the catch. One of these two breaks out, Flacco has another underneath option and the offense just becomes better.
7. We need to get more pressue. Forget sack totals for a second. We need to get better at bringing the heat. Adding Williams was a massive addition, and the more Judon grows, the more I feel confident in him. But it's not just him. Pierce, Bronson, Davis, and Henry all have good potential from the interior to be good pass rushers. If we can collapse the pocket, then it makes the life of the secondary that much easier.
8. Jimmy Smith needs to be healthy-duh.
9. We need to create more turnovers in the red zone. Our offense will likely struggle early on in the season, and the best way to get around it is to create more opportunities.
10. Finally- We need to finish drives with TD's rather than FGs. I love Tucker, but we lost a few games last year because we couldn't get TD's rather than FGs. We need to get better at finishing in the red zone.

Boldnpurpblack

Practice Squad
The OL, Flacco, West/Woodhead, Maclin and 1 of Wallace/Perriman, and Jimmy, Mosley, Suggs, BWill, Jefferson and Weddle all need to stay healthy.

We can withstand a missed game here or there by some of these guys.... but if we lose any of them for the season i think we're in trouble. If they stay relatively healthy - we're a playoff team.

Im confident that with the blocking philosophy and personnel changes on the OL it will be greatly improved, especially in run blocking. We're going to see more commitment to running, which will give us drastic improvement there. Which will lead to Joe having more down field, explosive opportunities , which makes Wallace and Perriman more valuable. And by doing that it opens up Woodhead and TEs underneath. Once we get all of that rolling we're going to be hard to defend.

Judon and Timmy Williams are the real deal. Judon will get double digit sacks and Williams will be among the league leaders in pressure on per snap basis.

No one is going to run on BWill/Pierce so we're going to force a lot of teams to throw early, which will allow us to get after it. And Dean's pretty good at dialing stuff up. Correa is going to make us forget about Orr. Humphrey will look like a seasoned vet by half way through the season. Weddle, Jefferson and Webb will be the best back end in football - best anyones seen in some time.

And Suggs is going to have a renaissance of sorts. With the young bucks rotating in, and actually producing he'll be way more fresh... allowing him to be way more effective with less snaps.

I guess what im saying is -- we dont need anything far fetched to happen for us to be successful. We just cant have a huge piece of the core to be lost for the year. Outside of that, we're going to surprise a lot of people this year.

Sledge Hammer

Pro Bowler
Some young players have to stand out. Not saying 5 all pros although it would be nice!! But some of our young guns have to begin standing out. Like Timmy Williams whom I think is gonna take the league by blitzkreig. And some of our young players besides him have to stand out. Players like Max. He could be pro bowl caliber if he took conditioning and football seriously. Chris Moore and Perriman one of needs to reach the 1000 yard or 8 TD preferably the former and latter. It would be nice for The young Oline players Lewis and Eluemunor to stand out. Lewis has a desire to be great and is working hard. Eluemunor is raw but very powerful and athletic like a wild bull.

Not to mention all those defensive bonds to mature. Like Henry,Bowser and Judon. The young defensive players I happen to like best. Outside of Timmy Williams of course. Ravens need to count on young players to stand out.

Grim

Ravens Ring of Honor
Some young players have to stand out. Not saying 5 all pros although it would be nice!! But some of our young guns have to begin standing out. Like Timmy Williams whom I think is gonna take the league by blitzkreig. And some of our young players besides him have to stand out. Players like Max. He could be pro bowl caliber if he took conditioning and football seriously. Chris Moore and Perriman one of needs to reach the 1000 yard or 8 TD preferably the former and latter. It would be nice for The young Oline players Lewis and Eluemunor to stand out. Lewis has a desire to be great and is working hard. Eluemunor is raw but very powerful and athletic like a wild bull.

Not to mention all those defensive bonds to mature. Like Henry,Bowser and Judon. The young defensive players I happen to like best. Outside of Timmy Williams of course. Ravens need to count on young players to stand out.
We only have one young player on the team and that's Tavon and he's done for the year. Sigh.

cobrajet

Hall of Famer
I think we agree that we need aTE to step up and I like Boyle a lot and Maxx could finally emerge. With that said I read that Watson is finally getting his wheels back under him. If Ben is healthy, he has great hands. Does anyone else think he could have a good bounce back year?

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
I think we agree that we need aTE to step up and I like Boyle a lot and Maxx could finally emerge. With that said I read that Watson is finally getting his wheels back under him. If Ben is healthy, he has great hands. Does anyone else think he could have a good bounce back year?
I said last year Watson would quickly become a fan favorite, I have held off on that kinda talk in case Father Time decides to catch up with him after the Achilles.

But if everything works out for him and he doesn't lose a step, then I think he will be a very valuable piece. Ben Watson was an under the radar great signing that just ended really
Unfortunately.

Willbacker

Ravens Ring of Honor
If the Defense can consistently win the field position battle, then the offense may only need to go 20-30 yards a drive to be in field goal position.

Plus the AFC (aside from Pats and Steelers) doesn't have any really intimidating teams.

That's if Harbaugh actually takes the points.

I said last year Watson would quickly become a fan favorite, I have held off on that kinda talk in case Father Time decides to catch up with him after the Achilles.

But if everything works out for him and he doesn't lose a step, then I think he will be a very valuable piece. Ben Watson was an under the radar great signing that just ended really
Unfortunately.

I think what has contributed to his longevity is low usage, hes the same age as Antonio Gates but has less than half of his career receptions.

Boldnpurpblack

Practice Squad

With Tucker, we're like 20-30 yards from being in FG range off of touchbacks. Field position doesnt even have to be great.

Last edited: