• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Thanks Marshal

SepticeyePoe

Hall of Famer
So I think Yanda's the last of the offensive players from Super Bowl 47. Wow, time's really gone by.

What a great career. This team is going to miss you Marshall. Yellow jacket coming your way in 5.

Somerset Ravens

Pro Bowler
Thank you Marshal for a great career in Baltimore . You were the rock of our offensive line. Good luck to you
wherever life takes you.

Nurps

MVP
At least now he’ll have the time to get that god-awful tribal tattoo covered up lol!

good luck in everything you do in the future, 73. Thanks for being a rock for us.

SepticeyePoe

Hall of Famer
I’m not on the Twitter :(
You don't need an account to view tweets, but I'll copy/paste for you.

Worth re-telling the best Marshal Yanda story in honor of his retirement: When Yanda was a rookie, Chris McAlister brought a taser into the locker room and boasted he’d give anyone $500 if they could take a taser hit. (Football players do silly macho nonsense like this often.)

Eventually more people started throwing money into a pile. There was a big debate about who was man enough to do it. Lots of shouting and laughing. Lots of scared guys. Yanda, who’s grown up on an Iowa farm, sat quietly listening to the silliness.

He knew the taser was nothing special. It wasn’t police grade. So stroller across the locker room, grabbed it, and tased himself in the chest. He scooped up the money with a smile on his face. The locker room erupted.

McAlister + some of the other Ravens thought maybe the taser didn’t hit Yanda with the full charge. There was a debate that whether this rookie really deserved the money. Yanda rolled his eyes, grabbed the taser, and tased himself again. He made sure everyone got their

1f4b0.svg
worth.

Toughest dude I ever covered, and that story doesn’t even really reflect it. The 2012 story about how he played just days after having surgery for compartment syndrome in his lower leg is either the most most badass or most insane thing you’ve ever heard. Hat tip to a legend.

Grim

Ravens Ring of Honor
This news is sad because this guy was the most bad ass dude on the team. Huge void to fill with his loss.

rossihunter2

Staff Member

sarah's right that this year seemed a bit different if we're being honest with ourselves... yanda seemed happier and looser than in previous years (in a good way) but it was clear that this year was a long goodbye and it makes the Titans loss all the more bitter that he could have potentially had the chance to walk off into the sunset at the top of his profession but alas not many players ever get to go out on a superbowl win

that being said Yanda still gets the honour of bowing out of the game at the very top of the game as an all-pro and pro bowler

and he has a special place in my fandom heart as the longest serving raven since I started being a fan in 2010 - the only Ravens player left who was there that year if I recall correctly (no Jimmy yet, Joe left last year, even bynes and levine weren't around yet)

EDIT: just wanted to double check - how could I forget 2/3 of the wolf-pack were around - Morgan Cox and Sam Koch were on the Ravens in 2010 as well

Willbacker

Ravens Ring of Honor
yanda1.jpg

This dog was named after you. Yep 100% mutt with a lot of grit. Thank you very much for protecting our QBs and opening holes for our RBs and being a great leader on our team. Never had an idea you was gonna turn out to be such a great player and a future HOF'r. Gonna miss you but this day was gonna come eventually so I hope retirement and the rest of your life is all good.