• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Jimmy Smith Restructured

Oldfaithful

Hall of Famer
"Smith was set to have a base salary of $8.5 million this season, but Yates reports that $7.725 million of that has been converted into a signing bonus. The move spreads that cap hit out over the 2018 and 2019 seasons as well and leaves the Ravens with $5.15 million more in cap space for this season."

Rav'n Maniac

Practice Squad
Little surprised it was a restructure and not an extension but they could just be buying time for an extension before next season.

Edgar

Ravens Ring of Honor
Could be to accommodate an O LINE acquisition?....Mangold was apparently hung up on monetary figure.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
Little surprised it was a restructure and not an extension but they could just be buying time for an extension before next season.
I could imagine this myself, I find it hard to believe they allow that much of a cap hit for anyone other than joe.

They must have something up their sleeve, I don't think they did this just in case they wanna make some depth signings.

I think they wanna evaluate some of our guys tonight and try to pounce on a potential trade depending on what we see on the field

Oldfaithful

Hall of Famer
I could imagine this myself, I find it hard to believe they allow that much of a cap hit for anyone other than joe.

They must have something up their sleeve, I don't think they did this just in case they wanna make some depth signings.

I think they wanna evaluate some of our guys tonight and try to pounce on a potential trade depending on what we see on the field
Doubt it. Urschel retiring and Siragusa getting hurt has thinned our depth worse than Lebron's hairline. We need to go get some guys.

Adreme

Ravens Ring of Honor
Lets not equate cap hit and salary. If anything he makes MORE money this year and they put it into cap hit next year. If they had decided to make Joes cap hit 100M so that the rest of them could be 3M and could swing it then it would be fine by me. They probably picked Jimmy for this because he is the player they are least likely to get rid of since he signed an overall contract that was below market value for a player of his caliber because honestly a healthy Jimmy is the Ravens best defender and easily a top 5 CB in the league.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Lets not equate cap hit and salary. If anything he makes MORE money this year and they put it into cap hit next year. If they had decided to make Joes cap hit 100M so that the rest of them could be 3M and could swing it then it would be fine by me. They probably picked Jimmy for this because he is the player they are least likely to get rid of since he signed an overall contract that was below market value for a player of his caliber because honestly a healthy Jimmy is the Ravens best defender and easily a top 5 CB in the league.
this is correct. When salary gets converted to bonus it becomes guaranteed money gets paid immediately, but it allows the team to spread the cap hit over the life of the contract. It's a win win for both the player and the team.

Boldnpurpblack

Practice Squad
While true - what effects the team is the cap hit.

So while Jimmy gets paid more now, his cap hit is lower allowing us to maybe sign a player or just below the threshold again.

But next years Cap Hit is now HUGE. And thats all i think anyone cares about. Bc that effects our ability to sign players next year when we were anticipating having plenty of cap space.

Just charged about $3-4 mill on the credit card aka next years cap space. So, hopefully they extend him next year to add an additional 2-3 years and spread that out even more.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
While true - what effects the team is the cap hit.

So while Jimmy gets paid more now, his cap hit is lower allowing us to maybe sign a player or just below the threshold again.

But next years Cap Hit is now HUGE. And thats all i think anyone cares about. Bc that effects our ability to sign players next year when we were anticipating having plenty of cap space.

Just charged about $3-4 mill on the credit card aka next years cap space. So, hopefully they extend him next year to add an additional 2-3 years and spread that out even more.

This is what most likely will happen. I also see CJ Mosely getting extended and not playing on his 5 year option contract.

In regards to many thinking the Ravens would have a good amount of cap space, myself included, I noticed at the beginning of the offseason that we also didn't have many players under contract at that point.

Boldnpurpblack

Practice Squad
This is what most likely will happen. I also see CJ Mosely getting extended and not playing on his 5 year option contract.

In regards to many thinking the Ravens would have a good amount of cap space, myself included, I noticed at the beginning of the offseason that we also didn't have many players under contract at that point.

Yea - but you figure you have your RFA's which usually arent shown or projected in to those calculations or as being "under contract" which a few will get tendered.... then you've got probably 7-10 draft picks that will take up a minimal amount of cap space, a couple UDFA's/PS guys that ended up sticking with low numbers, plus next years UDFA players.

Before you know it there's plenty of players once you re-sign your own FA's and add a 4-5 smaller contract from the market and maybe 2-3 bigger, key signings.

Oldfaithful

Hall of Famer

Not to mention we could extend Weddle another couple of years and same goes for Yanda(those two have such high football IQ That there is a decent possibility that they do remain pretty effective into their mid thirties) to create more cap next season as well. I truly believe that it's next year or bust. Only thing that concerns me is that I think we need to resign Wallace, West, or Jensen(if they are effective) and possibly draft a WR and another olinemen to be competitive.

Adreme

Ravens Ring of Honor
There is no point in drafting a WR when your top 3 are going to be Maclin, Wallace, and Perriman. Yes its a mess behind them but they are serviceable enough to be a 4th WR if the need arises.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
There is no point in drafting a WR when your top 3 are going to be Maclin, Wallace, and Perriman. Yes its a mess behind them but they are serviceable enough to be a 4th WR if the need arises.
I have been perrimans biggest defender but it seems he is beginning to earn the label of injury prone, maclin is injury prone, and Wallace is still just a burner.

I'd draft a wr if a good enough one was available, not over a quality OL, db, or pass rusher(yes, another one) but we are nowhere near a position to pass on a quality wr