• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Harbaugh Gets Extension Through 2019

JO_75

Hall of Famer
According to Adam Schefter, the Ravens and John Harbaugh have agreed to a contract extension through 2019. His previous deal was torn up.

Adam Schefter
19 mins ·
Facebook Mentions
·
‪Ravens gave HC John Harbaugh an extension that runs through 2019, per source. Previous deal torn up.‬

What this tells me is Harbs has until 2019 to get us back into the playoffs and back into Super Bowl contention. Flacco's cap hit in 2018 & 2019 is $24,750,000(2018) and $26,500,000(2019). It goes up to $28M in 2020, meaning we could very well clean house in 2020 and start over if we don't get back to the playoffs. Ozzie is just ensuring Harbs and Flacco are tied together.

Last edited:

Oldfaithful

Hall of Famer
Means nothing. They gave Jeff fisher an extension last year as well. Got canned. If we suck this season he's probably gone

JO_75

Hall of Famer
Technically 3 if you count this season (2017 season).

Ozzie said he was tired of blowing 4th quarter leads so he went out and improved the defense. Giving Harbs time to win with this new defense before deciding on whether a new HC is needed. This also tells me Dean and Marty will be here through 2019 as if we do start over in 2020 with a new HC and new QB, the new HC will want his own coordinators. Everyone was put on notice with this extension, 3 more strikes(3 years of no playoffs) and everyone is out.

jboy19

Pro Bowler
Ozzie said he was tired of blowing 4th quarter leads so he went out and improved the defense. Giving Harbs time to win with this new defense before deciding on whether a new HC is needed. This also tells me Dean and Marty will be here through 2019 as if we do start over in 2020 with a new HC and new QB, the new HC will want his own coordinators. Everyone was put on notice with this extension, 3 more strikes(3 years of no playoffs) and everyone is out.

I definitely agree with the idea that Harbaugh and Flacco are tied together. Pees is probably safe under Harbaugh because he has been a pretty solid DC.

That being said, the realist in me expects Greg Roman to be OC by Week 10.

ZonaRaven

Practice Squad
I doubt it. The difference between how Biscotti and how Kroenke run their franchises is very large.

So true. This is also documented by the fact that Jeff Fisher was hired by one of the franchises you mentioned which is laughable in itself.

Spoiler Alert: It wasn't the Ravens lol

The Raven

Veteran
I see this as tying Harbaugh and Joe Flacco together for the remainder of their time here and moving on from both in 2020 unless Harbaugh proves he can be on the same level as Belichick and McCarthy and Payton. I don't usually put a whole lot of value on motivator coaches.

I don't think Harbaugh will be fired after this year unless we're sub .500, and I'm even skeptical about that. Why extend him to 2020 if there's a chance you'll fire him at the end of 2017?

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
I've had conversations with friends who are not Ravens fans about how some fans want Harbaugh fired. The first thing they say is what are they smoking and the next thing they say is if he is fired I want my team to hire him and he will most likely be hired prior to reaching the parking lot.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
I see this as tying Harbaugh and Joe Flacco together for the remainder of their time here and moving on from both in 2020 unless Harbaugh proves he can be on the same level as Belichick and McCarthy and Payton. I don't usually put a whole lot of value on motivator coaches.

I don't think Harbaugh will be fired after this year unless we're sub .500, and I'm even skeptical about that. Why extend him to 2020 if there's a chance you'll fire him at the end of 2017?
McCarthy shouldn't be mentioned in the same breath as Payton and Belichick. He wouldn't be much without ARod.

The Raven

Veteran
McCarthy shouldn't be mentioned in the same breath as Payton and Belichick. He wouldn't be much without ARod.
I don't necessarily disagree, but I feel he's pretty far above the vast majority of other head coaches in the league. I'd probably take him over everybody but Payton and Belichick. Nobody else really comes to mind. Andy Reid? Tom Coughlin? Psh. Mike Tomlin? Nothing without Ben, arguably. Pete Carroll? Couple lucky draft classes. Similar to the QB tiers, there's such a divide between the top tier of coaches and the next level. I think Kyle Shanahan is probably the next great one but it's way too soon to say.

ZonaRaven

Practice Squad
I don't necessarily disagree, but I feel he's pretty far above the vast majority of other head coaches in the league. I'd probably take him over everybody but Payton and Belichick. Nobody else really comes to mind. Andy Reid? Tom Coughlin? Psh. Mike Tomlin? Nothing without Ben, arguably. Pete Carroll? Couple lucky draft classes. Similar to the QB tiers, there's such a divide between the top tier of coaches and the next level. I think Kyle Shanahan is probably the next great one but it's way too soon to say.

I think Shanahan is special but I think it might take a failure for him to truly become great. For the same reason I think Josh McDaniel would be far better suited to be a head coach now than he was the first time around. Shanahan has been an OC for as long as he was because people were turned off by his arrogance and while I think it's improved, one can argue it can still improve.

With that said, I was secretly hoping Shanahan wouldn't get a job this year and we could hire him next year if Harbs ended up getting fired.

redrum52

Hall of Famer
Means nothing. They gave Jeff fisher an extension last year as well. Got canned. If we suck this season he's probably gone

Had at 2 year minimum. Figured he would have at least the 2018 season to prove himself. Not mad at this and as someone else said basically tors him to Flacco.

The Raven

Veteran
I think Shanahan is special but I think it might take a failure for him to truly become great. For the same reason I think Josh McDaniel would be far better suited to be a head coach now than he was the first time around. Shanahan has been an OC for as long as he was because people were turned off by his arrogance and while I think it's improved, one can argue it can still improve.

With that said, I was secretly hoping Shanahan wouldn't get a job this year and we could hire him next year if Harbs ended up getting fired.
Lol, my hope was that we fire Harbaugh this year and got Shanahan. I've had enough of the motivator. If you can't help with tactics, scouting, or player development, what even is your value? Harbaugh's renowned as a guy that makes the trains run on time, but with the number of penalties we've had and the level of poor technique in recent years, I don't buy it. I'd like a head coach that brings another element to the table.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
I think I'd take Reid over McCarthy. I like Kyle as an offensive mind, I mean it runs in his blood, but being a head coach is so much different. I'm rooting for him, but I have my doubts. I actually think Sean McVay is going to be a very good coach.

The Greek

Veteran
i agree with the extension. he is a solid coach with so much turnover these days. he just needs to stop going for it on 4th down all the time and have the front office do a better job with early round picks

Jacquouille

Ravens Ring of Honor
Supporter
I think it's logic. It comes nicely with the 2-year plan that some suspect Ozzie has taken. 2 years of rebuilding, 1 year to put up or shut up,.