• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Harbaugh Gets Extension Through 2019

allblackraven

Hall of Famer
I can see JJ/Ed Reed/Ray in some coaching capacity close to 2019. Maybe JJ in the office when DeCosta takes over from Ozzie. Must keep defense as an identity.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
I can see JJ/Ed Reed/Ray in some coaching capacity close to 2019. Maybe JJ in the office when DeCosta takes over from Ozzie. Must keep defense as an identity.
I think JJ is gonna have a big time radio or broadcasting career, he's a natural at it and despite his reputation from his playing days he's quite the personality. He's been killing it for 98 rock and is gonna get in the commentator booth with Sandusky this year and I think that career is gonna take off for him

Sooky

Pro Bowler
I like the extension. I just wish we could find and KEEP a good offensive coordinator. Kubiak made bums look great we need some of that again this year. So many unproven guys on offense I want to cry. Marty has yet to convince me his offense is the way to go... May be in for another offensive coordinator next season...

The Raven

Veteran
Greg Roman will probably be OC by November.
I kinda hope so tbh. I'd love having an OC with a background as an OL coach. You can't do anything without your line, and an OC with a background as an OL coach would best know how to make life easy for the line, and therefore everybody else.

Roman is also pretty versatile. He ran two entirely different kinds of offenses rooted in the same concepts in San Francisco and Buffalo. That San Fran offense was very much a power offense, with heavy running, play action, lots of tight ends, etc... In Buffalo, same concepts, but out of more spread looks. He's married to the core concepts of what he wants to do, but he's extremely flexible in how he does it.

I think his system would work well for our players. Joe probably would struggle a tad with the whole west coast passing -- but oh wait, we're already doing that. The personnel we have now would work for him. Little bit of speed, little bit of power, lot of different looks. If Roman were to become OC mid-season, I'd expect him to bring some of the Buffalo offense and some of the San Fran offense in. With Joe at the helm, I think it wold more closely resemble the Buffalo offense, since Joe does best in the spread and out of the fun.

Oldfaithful

Hall of Famer
I doubt it. The difference between how Biscotti and how Kroenke run their franchises is very large.
Funny. Pretty sure we extended Billick the year he was fired too.

I like Harbaugh as much as the next guy but have disagreed with a ton of his decisions(Marty, his in game decisions, his talk about injuries) the past few years. I think his time with the team should be up soon if we fail. He's a good coach so he'd find a job elsewhere but I'm not sure he's a fit anymore.

Oldfaithful

Hall of Famer
I kinda hope so tbh. I'd love having an OC with a background as an OL coach. You can't do anything without your line, and an OC with a background as an OL coach would best know how to make life easy for the line, and therefore everybody else.

Roman is also pretty versatile. He ran two entirely different kinds of offenses rooted in the same concepts in San Francisco and Buffalo. That San Fran offense was very much a power offense, with heavy running, play action, lots of tight ends, etc... In Buffalo, same concepts, but out of more spread looks. He's married to the core concepts of what he wants to do, but he's extremely flexible in how he does it.

I think his system would work well for our players. Joe probably would struggle a tad with the whole west coast passing -- but oh wait, we're already doing that. The personnel we have now would work for him. Little bit of speed, little bit of power, lot of different looks. If Roman were to become OC mid-season, I'd expect him to bring some of the Buffalo offense and some of the San Fran offense in. With Joe at the helm, I think it wold more closely resemble the Buffalo offense, since Joe does best in the spread and out of the fun.
I do have to agree here. I was a tad skeptical of this idea at first, but then I remembered he had noodle armed alex smith as a QB, and two guys who run heavily with Kaepernick and Taylor. Flacco is a totally different animal. But Flacco would fit well imo. He likes throwing to the TEs a lot and a power running game would do the man wonders. Especially because he did well with play action bootlegs in Kubiak's scheme.

I think it could work tbh.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Funny. Pretty sure we extended Billick the year he was fired too.

I like Harbaugh as much as the next guy but have disagreed with a ton of his decisions(Marty, his in game decisions, his talk about injuries) the past few years. I think his time with the team should be up soon if we fail. He's a good coach so he'd find a job elsewhere but I'm not sure he's a fit anymore.

I understand all of this talk about harbs on the hot seat but my one sticking point every time when people say we should get rid of him is: who do you replace him with?

K-Dog

MVP
I understand all of this talk about harbs on the hot seat but my one sticking point every time when people say we should get rid of him is: who do you replace him with?

You would think some fans would consider themselves a worthy canadate.

Militant X 1

Ravens Ring of Honor
When are these coaches going to take "pay-cuts" like they want players to do? Just wondering....

The Raven

Veteran
When are these coaches going to take "pay-cuts" like they want players to do? Just wondering....
The coaching staff salaries aren't restricted by a cap. If they were capped, you probably would see pay cuts. Is it fair for players to be capped but not coaches? Probably not.

Militant X 1

Ravens Ring of Honor
The coaching staff salaries aren't restricted by a cap. If they were capped, you probably would see pay cuts. Is it fair for players to be capped but not coaches? Probably not.

Good point! I never gave thought to that. However, like you said, if these players are capped....then cap those coaches!

K-Dog

MVP

I think it makes significantly less of a difference in competition if the coaches salaries are capped.

The Raven

Veteran
I think it makes significantly less of a difference in competition if the coaches salaries are capped.
I think it could make a difference in competition. Teams that win more make more money. Teams with more money can pay current coaches more money -- ensuring retention -- and pay recruits more money -- improving recruitment. It's talent development 101. It's simple.

This is difficult to prove because not all of the coach salaries are easily available, but I think it's pretty obvious that more successful teams likely have more money to attract better coaches that help the team continue being more successful.

This represents one factor explaining why some teams -- like the New England Patriots, who have the highest paid coach -- are perennial contenders, while other teams -- like the Cleveland Browns, who don't -- are perennial losers. I mean, the Patriots roster really isn't that special outside of Tom Brady and a couple core players. Most of the roster is just role players. The difference maker is having arguably the best coaching staff in the league. I'd bet Josh McDaniels is being paid an awful lot for an OC.

Much like the QB position, there is a shortage of quality coaches in the league, and you're naive if you don't think money is a factor in where coaches go. I mean, why would Jeff Fisher choose the Rams in 2012 if not for those 7 million reasons that made him one of the top ten highest paid coaches in the league at the time? As a point of comparison, the average HC salary is about $3 million. In 2014, the lowest head coach salary was $2.5 million. That was Dennis Allen of the Raiders, who were then pretty putrid.

Going back to Jeff Fisher, media reports indicated he and Miami were talking a lot in that 2012 offseason. He left Miami at the altar to go to the Rams. He made $7 million with the Rams. The Dolphins gave Philbin $3.5. Hmmm.