• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

NFL TV Ratings Discussion

JO_75

Hall of Famer
Another regular season of low ratings only spilled into the playoffs. During Wild Card Weekend, all 4 games saw a double digit decreases from 2016's Wild Card Games. Divisional Round ratings were also down as well from last year.

WC Weekend:
- Titans vs Chiefs scored a 14.7 rating, down 11 Percent from Raiders-Texans in 2016.
- Falcons vs Rams scored a 14.9 rating, down 10 Percent from Lions-Seahawks in 2016.
- Bills vs Jaguars scored a 17.2 Rating, down 10 Percent from Dolphins-Steelers in 2016.
- Panthers vs Saints scored a 20.4 rating, down a whopping 21 Percent from Giants-Packers in 2016.

Divisional Round Weekend:
- Falcons vs Eagles scored a 17.4 rating, down 5 Percent from 2016
- Titans vs Patriots scored a 16.6 Rating, down 9 Percent from 2016, also the worst performance in this time slot since 2009
- Jaguars vs Steelers scored a 20.4 Rating, lowest rating in this time slot since 2002.
- The "Minnesota Miracle" scored a 21.8, which was lower than the Packers-Cowboys game that scored a 28.2

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Another regular season of low ratings only spilled into the playoffs. During Wild Card Weekend, all 4 games saw a double digit decreases from 2016's Wild Card Games. Divisional Round ratings were also down as well from last year.

WC Weekend:
- Titans vs Chiefs scored a 14.7 rating, down 11 Percent from Raiders-Texans in 2016.
- Falcons vs Rams scored a 14.9 rating, down 10 Percent from Lions-Seahawks in 2016.
- Bills vs Jaguars scored a 17.2 Rating, down 10 Percent from Dolphins-Steelers in 2016.
- Panthers vs Saints scored a 20.4 rating, down a whopping 21 Percent from Giants-Packers in 2016.

Divisional Round Weekend:
- Falcons vs Eagles scored a 17.4 rating, down 5 Percent from 2016
- Titans vs Patriots scored a 16.6 Rating, down 9 Percent from 2016, also the worst performance in this time slot since 2009
- Jaguars vs Steelers scored a 20.4 Rating, lowest rating in this time slot since 2002.
- The "Minnesota Miracle" scored a 21.8, which was lower than the Packers-Cowboys game that scored a 28.2
Wow, every game.

JO_75

Hall of Famer
Wow, every game.

Yeah, it's crazy that the ratings keep falling. You could argue fans want to see more parity and not the same teams in the playoffs every year. Yet in 2017, 8 of the 12 playoff teams didn't make the playoffs last year but did this year. The Eagles and Jags finished last in their division in 2016 and won their division in 2017. So if we have more parity than it has to be the match ups right?

Did people just see Jags vs Bills and because they know both teams have been bad for so long that it wouldn't be worth watching? Did a lot of people just assume that much like the Titans/Pats, that the Steelers were going to win easily over the Jags and didn't bother with it? It has to be the quality of the game itself declining so much under Goodell.

Adreme

Ravens Ring of Honor
People claim to want parity but in reality they just want to see the same teams and maybe have 1 new team a year. Its true in pretty much every sport that the powerhouses draw and the second tier doesnt.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Yeah, it's crazy that the ratings keep falling. You could argue fans want to see more parity and not the same teams in the playoffs every year. Yet in 2017, 8 of the 12 playoff teams didn't make the playoffs last year but did this year. The Eagles and Jags finished last in their division in 2016 and won their division in 2017. So if we have more parity than it has to be the match ups right?

Did people just see Jags vs Bills and because they know both teams have been bad for so long that it wouldn't be worth watching? Did a lot of people just assume that much like the Titans/Pats, that the Steelers were going to win easily over the Jags and didn't bother with it? It has to be the quality of the game itself declining so much under Goodell.

i think i wrote about it because of hard knocks (which inspired me to dig further) but in the around the nfl news thread i worked out the only teams that have not made the playoffs in the last 3 years - the list is only about 6-8 teams - that means that 3/4 of the league has been in the postseason the last 3 years... so you're right i dont think its parity that's pulling down ratings at all - i think if anything the parity and the general mediocrity of a lot of the competition is what's lowering the ratings - outside of the pats there's no real big market draw or superstar player name brands to get the general public excited...

JO_75

Hall of Famer
@Ourand_SBJ reports that ABC has emerged as a surprise bidder for the NFL’s 'Thursday Night Football' package. If they win the bid, games would be on ABC with ESPN staffing.

My gosh... Disney is trying to take over the NFL too. It isn't enough to have MNF on ESPN, now they want Thursday Night Football too?

K-Dog

MVP
Wow, every game.
Yeah that surprised me too.

I was telling my wife this morning if the Pats get into the Superb Owl it will be another low rated Superb Owl, because people are sick and tired of seeing the Pats in there.

Now that post doesn't disprove me, but it shows me that the problems lie deeper than that.

JO_75

Hall of Famer
Yeah that surprised me too.

I was telling my wife this morning if the Pats get into the Superb Owl it will be another low rated Superb Owl, because people are sick and tired of seeing the Pats in there.

Now that post doesn't disprove me, but it shows me that the problems lie deeper than that.

Ok but again, are people going to tune in to a Jaguars/Vikings Super Bowl or even a Jaguars/Eagles Super Bowl? The market that the team plays in is a big factor when it comes to the Super Bowl. Are fans going to care enough to potentially watch a low scoring defensive Super Bowl battle between 2 teams that have never won it and the NFL being guaranteed a first time Super Bowl winner regardless who wins? Is the lure of potentially the Vikings being the first team to play the Super Bowl when that city hosted the big game the same year going to be enough? People are tired of the Pats always in there but then you have to wonder if the lure of another AFC team not named the Pats would bring in more viewers?

cobrajet

Hall of Famer
Ok but again, are people going to tune in to a Jaguars/Vikings Super Bowl or even a Jaguars/Eagles Super Bowl? The market that the team plays in is a big factor when it comes to the Super Bowl. Are fans going to care enough to potentially watch a low scoring defensive Super Bowl battle between 2 teams that have never won it and the NFL being guaranteed a first time Super Bowl winner regardless who wins? Is the lure of potentially the Vikings being the first team to play the Super Bowl when that city hosted the big game the same year going to be enough? People are tired of the Pats always in there but then you have to wonder if the lure of another AFC team not named the Pats would bring in more viewers?
It does not matter to me who is playing, it is the Super Bowl and I want to watch it no matter what teams are playing. I would think most football fans feel the same.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator

I concur with all points above in the video

Yeah I saw this a while ago and agree with many points. Especially the TNF point. I’ve never been a fan but the league is all about making money and that is what they are doing. They are making money hand over foot, even as the ratings are dropping, They aren’t about to sell TNF to ABC, so it isn’t going away anytime soon.

JO_75

Hall of Famer
Digging into research from the Super Bowl Ratings since Super Bowl 42.

- Super Bowl 42, Giants vs Patriots: 43.1 Rating (Increase from Super Bowl 41 which was 42.6 Rating with Colts vs Bears)
- Super Bowl 43, Cardinals vs Steelers: 42 Rating (Down from Previous Year)
- Super Bowl 44, Saints vs Colts: 45 Rating (Increase from Previous Year)
- Super Bowl 45, Packers vs Steelers: 46 Rating(Increase from Previous Year)
- Super Bowl 46, Giants vs Patriots: 47 Rating (Increase from Previous Year)
- Super Bowl 47, Ravens vs 49ers: 46.3 Rating (Decrease from Previous Year)
- Super Bowl 48, Seahawks vs Broncos: 46.7 Rating (Increase from Previous Year)
- Super Bowl 49, Patriots vs Seahawks: 47.5 Rating (Increase from Previous Year)
- Super Bowl 50, Broncos vs Panthers: 46.6 Rating (Decrease from Previous Year)
- Super Bowl 51, Patriots vs Falcons: 45.3 Rating(Decrease from Previous Year)
- Super Bowl 52, Patriots vs Eagles: ????