• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

NFL TV Ratings Discussion

JO_75

Hall of Famer
The Championship Ratings are in and once again, more bad news for the NFL.

AFC Title Game, Jaguars @ Patriots: 27.3 Rating, Slight Decrease from last year's NFC Title Game in the same time slot between Packers-Falcons that scored a 27.4 Rating. This was also the lowest rated early game in the last five years.

NFC Title Game: The Vikings-Eagles drew a 24.7 Rating, down 2.9% from the 27.6 Rating the AFC Title Game between the Pats/Steelers in the same time slot last year. This is also the second lowest rated late game since 2009, the lowest rated? Pats-Colts game in 2015.

http://www.breitbart.com/sports/201...ats-earn-lowest-early-game-rating-since-2013/

ThatsMyJoeTerback

Ravens Ring of Honor
Digging into research from the Super Bowl Ratings since Super Bowl 42.

- Super Bowl 42, Giants vs Patriots: 43.1 Rating (Increase from Super Bowl 41 which was 42.6 Rating with Colts vs Bears)
- Super Bowl 43, Cardinals vs Steelers: 42 Rating (Down from Previous Year)
- Super Bowl 44, Saints vs Colts: 45 Rating (Increase from Previous Year)
- Super Bowl 45, Packers vs Steelers: 46 Rating(Increase from Previous Year)
- Super Bowl 46, Giants vs Patriots: 47 Rating (Increase from Previous Year)
- Super Bowl 47, Ravens vs 49ers: 46.3 Rating (Decrease from Previous Year)
- Super Bowl 48, Seahawks vs Broncos: 46.7 Rating (Increase from Previous Year)
- Super Bowl 49, Patriots vs Seahawks: 47.5 Rating (Increase from Previous Year)
- Super Bowl 50, Broncos vs Panthers: 46.6 Rating (Decrease from Previous Year)
- Super Bowl 51, Patriots vs Falcons: 45.3 Rating(Decrease from Previous Year)
- Super Bowl 52, Patriots vs Eagles: ????
By my math, the decrease started after SB49 which was well before the beginning of protests.

Willbacker

Ravens Ring of Honor
i honestly think he's right about the protest ratings factor - ratings have been declining steadily for a few years now and its not like there was a particular extra decline after the protests...

I have to disagree. I was in a football pool where we had 19 players. 3 had dropped out by week 3 all stating their lack of interest in football cuz of the protests. That's almost 1 in 6.

Willbacker

Ravens Ring of Honor
Digging into research from the Super Bowl Ratings since Super Bowl 42.

- Super Bowl 42, Giants vs Patriots: 43.1 Rating (Increase from Super Bowl 41 which was 42.6 Rating with Colts vs Bears)
- Super Bowl 43, Cardinals vs Steelers: 42 Rating (Down from Previous Year)
- Super Bowl 44, Saints vs Colts: 45 Rating (Increase from Previous Year)
- Super Bowl 45, Packers vs Steelers: 46 Rating(Increase from Previous Year)
- Super Bowl 46, Giants vs Patriots: 47 Rating (Increase from Previous Year)
- Super Bowl 47, Ravens vs 49ers: 46.3 Rating (Decrease from Previous Year)
- Super Bowl 48, Seahawks vs Broncos: 46.7 Rating (Increase from Previous Year)
- Super Bowl 49, Patriots vs Seahawks: 47.5 Rating (Increase from Previous Year)
- Super Bowl 50, Broncos vs Panthers: 46.6 Rating (Decrease from Previous Year)
- Super Bowl 51, Patriots vs Falcons: 45.3 Rating(Decrease from Previous Year)
- Super Bowl 52, Patriots vs Eagles: ????

Regardless these are outstanding ratings but you know a lot of people are interested in the commercials lol. Which have been suckin btw.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I have to disagree. I was in a football pool where we had 19 players. 3 had dropped out by week 3 all stating their lack of interest in football cuz of the protests. That's almost 1 in 6.

i struggle to believe that the protests caused them to dropout before week 3...
the league-wide protest only really kicked into gear during week 3 and beyond - and as far as i can see ratings were fairly steady in week 3 and week 4 and beyond... there was nothing that seemed particularly like a marked drop from the year before's equivalent relative the other weeks in the nfl year...

it makes no sense that people were simultaneously outraged and not watching... to be outraged they need to know the thing they were outraged about had happened which only happens by watching... and if they only heard about the protests then they werent watching in the first place...

OK - I have nothing to offer but some anecdotal evidence about the protests and their effect. That and a little logical extension.

Within my own family, 4 people quit watching and stated the protests as the one and only reason why. One was big enough a fan to travel to London for the debacle. They are parents of Marines, who served in Afghanistan. I've other friends who dropped from my fantasy league and told me to look for replacements for next year.

I've said it before, I think the impact of the protests on Ravens support was greater than other franchises because 1) the week when the entire league did it in unison, we were on foreign soil .... standing for the anthem of the host country and kneeling for ours and 2) the dislike for the movement behind the protests, as it is for some there is a direct association with the movement (whether right or wrong) and images of the city being set on fire.

Anecdotal, as I said, but I simply can't believe they are alone. IMO, while it is not the only reason for ratings decline, it is a factor.

If you don't believe it is a cause, the league sure does. They've stepped up their over the top campaigns for veterans ... endless commercials with players talking about their respect for the military, camo all over the sidelines for games, etc. Yes, they've always done a little of that sort of thing, but their focus on it now is painfully clear.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
OK - I have nothing to offer but some anecdotal evidence about the protests and their effect. That and a little logical extension.

Within my own family, 4 people quit watching and stated the protests as the one and only reason why. One was big enough a fan to travel to London for the debacle. They are parents of Marines, who served in Afghanistan. I've other friends who dropped from my fantasy league and told me to look for replacements for next year.

I've said it before, I think the impact of the protests on Ravens support was greater than other franchises because 1) the week when the entire league did it in unison, we were on foreign soil .... standing for the anthem of the host country and kneeling for ours and 2) the dislike for the movement behind the protests, as it is for some there is a direct association with the movement (whether right or wrong) and images of the city being set on fire.

Anecdotal, as I said, but I simply can't believe they are alone. IMO, while it is not the only reason for ratings decline, it is a factor.

If you don't believe it is a cause, the league sure does. They've stepped up their over the top campaigns for veterans ... endless commercials with players talking about their respect for the military, camo all over the sidelines for games, etc. Yes, they've always done a little of that sort of thing, but their focus on it now is painfully clear.

that is compelling

i just hate how i have no empathy for those people who've stopped watching for that reason - im not from the USA and ive never seen anything like it in terms of reaction over something that at the time (i.e. when it all first got media attention) i thought was interesting and inoffensive - and despite all the added context since i still dont really empathise - i understand the reasoning but i cant empathise because to me the reasoning makes little sense... but heyho

you do make a compelling case and i imagine all the military ties (and that weird disrespecting of the military narrative that i dont understand either) in baltimore make it an even larger cohort of disenfranchised (former) viewers

Willbacker

Ravens Ring of Honor
i struggle to believe that the protests caused them to dropout before week 3...
the league-wide protest only really kicked into gear during week 3 and beyond - and as far as i can see ratings were fairly steady in week 3 and week 4 and beyond... there was nothing that seemed particularly like a marked drop from the year before's equivalent relative the other weeks in the nfl year...

it makes no sense that people were simultaneously outraged and not watching... to be outraged they need to know the thing they were outraged about had happened which only happens by watching... and if they only heard about the protests then they werent watching in the first place...

They told the guy that was running the pool why they quit but they lewft their money in. Its a bigger deal than a lot of people want to believe.

JO_75

Hall of Famer
Richard Deitsch‏Verified account @richarddeitsch
.@Ourand_SBJ reports that ABC has emerged as a surprise bidder for the NFL’s 'Thursday Night Football' package. If they win the bid, games would be on ABC with ESPN staffing.

In an update, the NFL has found a new broadcast partner for TNF. ABC is out, along with CBS and FOX won the bidding war for exclusive rights to Thursday Night Football through 2022. FOX will air 11 games starting in Week 4, ending in Week 15. Games will still be simulcast on NFL Network, and NFL Network will air 7 games per the agreement.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...ar-deal-with-fox-for-thursday-night-football/

K-Dog

MVP
The interesting thing is, even with the declining ratings, it still is the most watched live sporting event on television. Or at least I think it is.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
The interesting thing is, even with the declining ratings, it still is the most watched live sporting event on television. Or at least I think it is.

i heard an interesting fact about the ratings drops that added some context - apparently the ratings of the NFL are going down but the ratings of many other shows in similar time slots and in general etc. are going down too at the same rate...

so i think a large part of this decline in ratings may well be mostly down to the different ways people consume the nfl and tv in general

Inqui

Pro Bowler
i heard an interesting fact about the ratings drops that added some context - apparently the ratings of the NFL are going down but the ratings of many other shows in similar time slots and in general etc. are going down too at the same rate...

so i think a large part of this decline in ratings may well be mostly down to the different ways people consume the nfl and tv in general
Premier League viewings were down 17 per cent last season as well for whatever that's worth, and iirc last year the other major American sports all logged declines, as did NASCAR (though the NBA's done extremely well in certain time slots this season). The NBA was down 15 per cent last year, the NHL down 20 per cent and the MLB clubs did it difficult as well. Cable-cutting and "peak sport" are legitimate structural headwinds faced by every major sports body.

As far as the ratings go the NFL (and obviously the Super Bowl) is still the king by a fair way and will probably remain so for a while even if the declines continue. It's more the trajectory that has the executives worried. If it gets too bad the insanely hyper-expensive broadcast deals might end up being less insanely hyper-expensive.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
As far as the ratings go the NFL (and obviously the Super Bowl) is still the king by a fair way and will probably remain so for a while even if the declines continue. It's more the trajectory that has the executives worried. If it gets too bad the insanely hyper-expensive broadcast deals might end up being less insanely hyper-expensive.

the nfl only really has to make it to the next cba though - at that point they can negotiate with non-tv as well and work out what the next big audience thing is which will net them huge money - likely a streaming service of some kind idk...

K-Dog

MVP

I know more than a few people who don't have cable or dish.

JO_75

Hall of Famer
So the rating isn't available yet but based off the fact viewership hit a 9 year low for the Super Bowl, something tells me the NFL won't like the ratings. Viewership for the game between the Eagles-Patriots was 103.4M, which is down 7% from Super Bowl 51 with the Patriots vs Falcons. It also is the worst the Super Bowl has done since 2009 when the Steelers beat the Cardinals in Super Bowl 43, which only had 98.7M viewers. NBC is touting that including streaming on the NBC Sports App and other streaming sites the total viewership was 106M. TV Viewership peaked in the 4th quarter with 112.3M tuning in from 10PM to 10:15PM.

As for the Halftime show, the viewership for the halftime show with Justin Timberlake went down 9% compared to last year's Halftime performance by Lady Gaga. Gaga had the second most watched halftime show in Super Bowl history, with Katy Perry and the Left Shark being the most watched Halftime show in Super Bowl history.

stampedehero

Practice Squad
Premier League viewings were down 17 per cent last season as well for whatever that's worth, and iirc last year the other major American sports all logged declines, as did NASCAR (though the NBA's done extremely well in certain time slots this season). The NBA was down 15 per cent last year, the NHL down 20 per cent and the MLB clubs did it difficult as well. Cable-cutting and "peak sport" are legitimate structural headwinds faced by every major sports body.

>It is big time because the entire production is geared to every facet such as a garbage half time show and a legion of fans who want to see commercials. Fortunately the last SB's were very entertaining. Inqui...remember you,........ New Zealand?