• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Article 29BmoreBird22's Gameday Wrap Up: Baltimore Ravens at Cincinnati Bengals

29BmoreBird22

Staff Member
Writer
With the first week of the NFL season not quite over yet, Ravens fans can take great solace in knowing that they absolutely dominated the Cincinnati Bengals defensively. The media and pundits alike doubted the ability of the Ravens to pull out a win due to the unknown health of Joe Flacco, but it turned out Joe Flacco would not be needed today as the defense and running game carried the Ravens to a 20-0 win.

Without further ado, let us take a look at this week’s “Good, Bad, and Ugly.”

The Good

The Defense: I really cannot single out a single player here who really stood out more than the others because the defense as a whole played so incredibly well. Count me as one who came in with high expectations for the defense and might have walked away feeling more impressed than expected.

The Bengals gained just 221 net yards of offense and converted on a paltry four of 13 third down attempts. Even better, the Bengals failed to convert any points on three red zone trips. With five sacks, three hits, and five turnovers forced (four interceptions, one fumble) against a Bengals offense that looked like it would be one of the better in the NFL, the Ravens really took control and prevented the Bengals from ever getting momentum.

One player I will point to as a star performer was Brandon Williams. Williams was a natural force in the middle of the Ravens defense against the run and collapsed the pocket well in the passing game. One game into the season and Williams gives us one damn good performance that justifies the Ravens massive contract.

The Running Game: The Ravens said that they wanted to remain committed to the running game and not average 40 passes a game like they did in 2016. How do you accomplish this? You run the ball 42 times, of course.

Terrance West and Buck Allen were nearly even in carries, receiving 19 and 21 respectively. They rushed for a combined 151 yards. On the surface, that sub 4.0 YPC number may appear a bit pedestrian, but do consider that the Ravens ran the ball 14 times to simply close the game out and the Bengals knew the Ravens wanted to run the ball. In those 14 carries, the Ravens gained just 40 yards, meaning that in the other 26 carries, the Ravens gained 111 yards between West and Allen and averaged roughly 4.2 YPC.

Both West and Allen ran with purpose and with urgency and did everything in their power to silence the critics that questioned whether or not this Ravens running game might be the worst in the NFL.

The Bad

Penalties: The Ravens finished the 2016 NFL season ranked fourth in the NFL in terms of penalties per game, averaging 8.5 per game. The Ravens again looked like an undisciplined team, committing 11 penalties for 85 yards with nearly half coming from the offensive line and three from Ryan Jensen at the center position. If the Ravens want to be a better team than the 8-8 team they were in 2016, they cannot afford to give up penalties that give free first downs to opposing offenses and cannot continue to commit several holding penalties on what would amount to long gains in the running game.

Discipline, discipline, discipline needs to be the message from John Harbaugh this week.

Kamalei Correa: On the surface, a stat line of 5 tackles, four solo, and a tackle for loss on a well pursued swing pass to a running back may look pretty good. And hell, even this inclusion may be a little bit harsh. However, I think that the amazing pieces around Correa allowed him to play better, or have a better stat line, than he otherwise would.

To me, Correa still appears hesitant to come downhill and attack running lanes. He does not attack blockers head on and will wait for the running back to hit the hole before he commits, limiting his ability to make tackles for no gain or a loss and instead allowing the running back to pick up three, four yards before they are actually tackled.

For example, look at Gio Bernard’s 23-yard run. Correa clearly wants to attack the play and come downhill, but he hesitates, freezing and not reacting. To make matters worse, Correa is so out of position that Bernard is able to apply a little shake and bake and blow by Correa and leave Correa grasping at air.

It is not a good look when you hesitate to make plays and your backup is out aiding in game changing interceptions.

The Ugly

Injuries:
The game off football is pretty violent and injuries are pretty well expected, but you cannot help but feel a sense of disappointment and agony when a player who was contributing goes down.

Danny Woodhead was making huge catches in the passing game to convert first downs before he went down with a hamstring injury. Za’Darius Smith had registered a first quarter sack before he was rolled up on and sprained his knee.

Injuries at any stage hurts, but ones to key players are always going to sting a particularly large amount. For a team as snake bitten as the Ravens, any game they come away healthy should now be considered a win.

Joe Flacco: To be fair to Flacco, the expectations really should not have been that high. He had missed the entire preseason with a back injury and had lost what appeared to be his top target when Woodhead went down in the first half with a hamstring injury. Still, this was far from Flacco’s best game and it appears he has more rust to knock off than I initially expected.

According to Pro Football Focus, only 27 of Flacco’s 121 yards came through the air. He completed just one pass beyond 10 yards in the air. Had it not been for a superb and legal pick set by Benjamin Watson, the long touchdown to Jeremy Maclin may not happen and the Ravens may not even reach 100 passing yards as a team.

More disappointing, though, was the fact that Flacco still does not drive through throws. Flacco plants and throws without pushing the ball and it resulted in several passes that came up low and short on throws that could have very well gone for long gains and aided in more Ravens touchdowns. On the one interception thrown, Flacco threw high and behind West and gave West little chance to make a play on the ball, resulting in a popped up ball that was an easy interception for Nick Vigil.

The defense can likely keep the Ravens in games to begin the season with a relatively weak offensive schedule, but sooner or later, the Ravens will need Joe Flacco to step up and justify his massive contract.

Writer Note: I realize we have a thread with the same exact title, but this was actually an old segment I used to do on a website I owned many years ago. I’m hoping that we can all still enjoy both threads and that this may provide a little more discussion due to the more in depth nature of the article.

Last edited:

Adreme

Ravens Ring of Honor
I assume you mean high expectations for the defense and yes they were amazing. I mean i know i called 20-7 with the 7 being a nothing TD but I didnt expect the Bengals to look that lost.

K-Dog

MVP
Perhaps a thread title change to avoid confusion.
"BmoreBird's game day recap" has a nice flow to it.

RavensFan419

Pro Bowler
I think the criticism on Joe in unwarranted he has had a week to toss the ball around and he really didn't get many chances to throw the ball the times he did he was pressured heavily and forced to make a quick decision and throw... did anyone else see the pre snap adjustment he made and told mike to come in and mike didn't move and joe had to do it again and mike had to clarify he wanted him to move in this just shows the little chemistry this offense has right now I think we need another few weeks before we can truly evaluate it hence why we only ran the ball pretty much from the 3rd quarter on

allblackraven

Hall of Famer
I am less pleased with our running game, just can't feel Allen at all. Agree on KC, looks out of place in that front 7.

29BmoreBird22

Staff Member
Writer
I am less pleased with our running game, just can't feel Allen at all. Agree on KC, looks out of place in that front 7.
allen looked decent on those delayed draw plays until they kept calling run plays over and over but i do agree that he doesnt look like the right guy back there
For me, it looks like he's trying to run for his job as hard as he can, much like West. Yeah, neither was truly spectacular or amazing, but they're doing a lot better than I actually anticipated. I think the running game was the absolute biggest fear for most people going into the season (outside of the injury to Joe) and then Allen and West are asked to carry the ball 40 times and produced 150 yards. I'm pleasantly surprised with what they did.

3-4ravdef509

Practice Squad
Ahhh, Flacco bashing. Never gets old.

There's literally no precedent for a quarterback missing all training camp and preseason and then coming back to play. And with a bad back. He managed the game. And he did it well. Then all thrown to West was not that terrible, west just reacted to a slightly off target pass in the worst way possible. I've been hard on Flacco at times but insist we give him a few weeks to get acclimated before we start picking apart his play.

29BmoreBird22

Staff Member
Writer
Ahhh, Flacco bashing. Never gets old.

There's literally no precedent for a quarterback missing all training camp and preseason and then coming back to play. And with a bad back. He managed the game. And he did it well. Then all thrown to West was not that terrible, west just reacted to a slightly off target pass in the worst way possible. I've been hard on Flacco at times but insist we give him a few weeks to get acclimated before we start picking apart his play.
It isn't Flacco bashing. I called it like I saw it. He had a bad game. Doesn't mean he'll play poorly against the Browns or for the rest of the season. Just means he played poorly against the Bengals week one, which is true.

It was a terrible throw from Flacco. West was coming across the formation and Flacco threw it behind and way high. Nothing about that was "slightly" off target. It was horrendously placed. Even after jumping, the ball was at West's head. West tried to catch the ball and it came out and Vigil made a good diving interception.

Fact of the matter is Flacco played week one and had a bad game. I don't base his entire season off of one game or his career off of one game. I base his play from that one game for one game and nothing else.

3-4ravdef509

Practice Squad
It isn't Flacco bashing. I called it like I saw it. He had a bad game. Doesn't mean he'll play poorly against the Browns or for the rest of the season. Just means he played poorly against the Bengals week one, which is true.

It was a terrible throw from Flacco. West was coming across the formation and Flacco threw it behind and way high. Nothing about that was "slightly" off target. It was horrendously placed. Even after jumping, the ball was at West's head. West tried to catch the ball and it came out and Vigil made a good diving interception.

Fact of the matter is Flacco played week one and had a bad game. I don't base his entire season off of one game or his career off of one game. I base his play from that one game for one game and nothing else.

View attachment 186

3-4ravdef509

Practice Squad
I'm not saying that's a great throw, but terrible? I guess we have different definitions of the word. There was a defender in the way and Joe was a little off, but that's not a catch I don't expect West to catch honestly. It's not routine but I don't think he gets a pass, and I'm not saying Joe shouldn't be held to a higher standard of accuracy either. But to me the interception was more bad luck and West letting the ball not only go through his hands but tipping it up and behind him. It's football, it's not always gonna be pretty. Joe didn't have a great game, not by any stretch, but he had a good game managing and protecting the ball. He didn't throw it right at a defender, he was a little off and his receiver tipped it up to be intercepted. Bad play on two players combined with bad luck. Joe didn't win us this game but he made sure we didn't lose it either.

29BmoreBird22

Staff Member
Writer
I'm not saying that's a great throw, but terrible? I guess we have different definitions of the word. There was a defender in the way and Joe was a little off, but that's not a catch I don't expect West to catch honestly. It's not routine but I don't think he gets a pass, and I'm not saying Joe shouldn't be held to a higher standard of accuracy either. But to me the interception was more bad luck and West letting the ball not only go through his hands but tipping it up and behind him. It's football, it's not always gonna be pretty. Joe didn't have a great game, not by any stretch, but he had a good game managing and protecting the ball. He didn't throw it right at a defender, he was a little off and his receiver tipped it up to be intercepted. Bad play on two players combined with bad luck. Joe didn't win us this game but he made sure we didn't lose it either.
Great job posting a very convenient picture that shows West as he's trying to completely turn his body. Really- well done.

West was coming across the field from left to right. Flacco placed it behind. West tries his damn best to pull an Alshon Jeffrey and contort 180 degrees to make a high and behind catch.

The ball wasn't even popped up/tipped up. It literally just went through West's hands. If anything, that ball is an even easier interception if West doesn't stop the ball from continuing on it's path. The fact that West even got his hands on it meant that Vigil had to make a diving effort at it whereas if it hadn't been touched by West, it goes right into the arms of Vigil.

If I remember you from the Ravens board, you were pretty firmly in the "Flacco can do no wrong" camp, so I'm going to stop this discussion here because it won't go anywhere.

By the way, here's the play in its entirety so we're all clear.

http://www.bengals.com/media-lounge...rception/6c384cc4-6f7d-483c-82f7-3fbd844665f0

Last edited:

3-4ravdef509

Practice Squad
Not really. Just the camp of people who don't understand why people need to be over critical of every mistake he made

It wasn't a good throw, but West could have done more. You're putting 100% of the blame on Flacco which is what I'm contesting. If Flacco threw a pick in the end zone similar to how Dalton did I would have f bombed everyone around me and I'd be here saying Joe threw a boneheaded pick.

You're basically saying Joe threw a terrible uncatchable pass and West did everything he could to stop it. That's just not the case.

I tried uploading the video in slow motion to show it better but the file is too big. He wasn't going left to right, he was in the back field and moving forward slightly to the right.

29BmoreBird22

Staff Member
Writer
Not really. Just the camp of people who don't understand why people need to be over critical of every mistake he made

It wasn't a good throw, but West could have done more. You're putting 100% of the blame on Flacco which is what I'm contesting. If Flacco threw a pick in the end zone similar to how Dalton did I would have f bombed everyone around me and I'd be here saying Joe threw a boneheaded pick.

You're basically saying Joe threw a terrible uncatchable pass and West did everything he could to stop it. That's just not the case.

I tried uploading the video in slow motion to show it better but the file is too big. He wasn't going left to right, he was in the back field and moving forward slightly to the right.
You have a video right there in the link I posted, but West was 100% facing the opposite sideline.

The Raven

Veteran
Yes, the throw from Joe was a shitty throw, but it was still a catchable ball. Blame goes 50-50 for me. West had to jump up for a ball thrown behind him, and it was thrown from just 10 yards away. Tough ball to react to, but if it hits you, you catch it.

3-4ravdef509

Practice Squad
I saw your video, the video I have is the same angle as the picture I posted.

But it's besides the point anymore. I'm not trying to defend the pass as being good, I just don't think it was so bad that West is off the hook. But again, I'm not surprised at Joes performance because it's unprecedented for a an to miss a month of training camp and preseason and come back healthy and ready to play. And the "living up to his contract" bullshit is what really boils my blood, because while I can't say he's always played his best, we just really haven't consistently built our team around Joe. My job is in retirement and investment portfolios, so let me put it in terms that I would relate to: if a client is seeking an aggressive growth portfolio but investing small amounts of money in bonds and preferred stock. We gave Joe a massive contract, but other than that we have not invested this team is money into building and offense around him. It seems like every year the offensive line comes together last minute, this is the first year where we have a really exciting receiving corps since 2012.

2013? Joe stunk. Same with 2015. But 2014 and even for most of last season I think Joe has played up to his contract as much as he can within the confines of the offense he's put in.