• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Breshad Perriman (why does he have his own thread)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mainejet

Practice Squad
Hello! Jets fan here.... I come in peace. Just wanted to inquire about Breshad Perriman? Why didnt he work out in Baltimore. Seems to me he was a less than dazzling 1st round draft choice. Anyone know why?

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
Injuries, terrible hands, not a great route runner. Didn't get the perception he was a hard worker either. He's not a bad player, but he's very much a complementary-type player in this league, with what I view as limited skill sets/attributes.

JAAM

Hall of Famer
Straight trash.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
Iz a blezsin that he’s got a job in the nfl. Athletically he’s one of the most exciting specimens you’ll ever see at wr, he’s usually the fastest one on the field, his size and length is absolutely legit, he has a lot of circus catch ability and can leap and high point balls in coverage, however...

He can’t run the route tree and is only good for fades, he doesn’t understand route concepts either and puts himself and teammates and poor positions, if the play calls for any kind of timing based or rub concept just keep him off the field because he’ll fuck something up, he doesn’t come back to the ball, he has terrible form when catching and stabs/claps at the ball, double catches often and will often bobble a ball into harms way, gets separated at the catch point, hears footsteps, no suddenness, exposes chest to press, only has one speed and has no understanding of beating zones, he’s extremely soft, he’s soft mentally as well, if he drops the ball one time you might as well scratch him for a month because he gets in his own head and will continue fucking up, doesn’t seem too enamored with being a pro football player.

perriman shouldn’t have been drafted before round 3, but he DID have elite potential, mentally he is nowhere close to nfl caliber and that’s what has held him back.

he’s a big downgrade from Robbie Anderson but Anderson is certainly one of the most comparable players, stylistically.

Mainejet

Practice Squad
Iz a blezsin that he’s got a job in the nfl. Athletically he’s one of the most exciting specimens you’ll ever see at wr, he’s usually the fastest one on the field, his size and length is absolutely legit, he has a lot of circus catch ability and can leap and high point balls in coverage, however...

He can’t run the route tree and is only good for fades, he doesn’t understand route concepts either and puts himself and teammates and poor positions, if the play calls for any kind of timing based or rub concept just keep him off the field because he’ll fuck something up, he doesn’t come back to the ball, he has terrible form when catching and stabs/claps at the ball, double catches often and will often bobble a ball into harms way, gets separated at the catch point, hears footsteps, no suddenness, exposes chest to press, only has one speed and has no understanding of beating zones, he’s extremely soft, he’s soft mentally as well, if he drops the ball one time you might as well scratch him for a month because he gets in his own head and will continue fucking up, doesn’t seem too enamored with being a pro football player.

perriman shouldn’t have been drafted before round 3, but he DID have elite potential, mentally he is nowhere close to nfl caliber and that’s what has held him back.

he’s a big downgrade from Robbie Anderson but Anderson is certainly one of the most comparable players, stylistically.

I really appreciate the thorough evaluation not just from you but from everybody that posted....

Robbie Anderson, to be quite honest with you, must have a brain the size of a pea. In the end, it would have been worthwhile resigning him but not at the amount he got from Carolina. He had a few rubs with the law and for a while it appeared as though the Jets needed to rid themselves of a problem child. Telling a cop he was going to nut in his wife's eyes is a VERY disrespectful thing to say to an officer of the law. All told, he managed to mend his ways and became a good soldier but for the most part everyone believed he should be resigned but ONLY at the right price. I've also always worried about his durability. His frame is so frail I keep thinking he's one major hit away from being out of football.

So, despite what all of you had to say, I think I'm good with the Jets signing Perriman as a lower priced alternative to Anderson? His last 5 games with Tampa were pretty impressive. As though maybe he is just a late bloomer? Like so many here posted, he had elite ability if he ever grows into it, starts to utilize it.

The Jets are one of the very worst run organizations in football. Up until the hiring of Joe Douglas, the Jets have been nothing short of HORRID when it comes to drafting. You simply cannot build any sort of positive momentum in rebuilding when you might hit on a decent player, every 3 or 4 years.

Joe Douglas is an unproven commodity. The jury is still out on him. However, I love his pedigree. From an outsiders perspective, he came from the RAVENS - a model franchise for NFL success. The Ravens have spent the last 25 or so years being excellent drafters. Ozzie Newsome, IMO, is the very best GM I've ever seen. It seems to be continuing with Erik Decosta? The Jets tried to lure Decosta from the RAVENS back in 2015. He refused the opportunity and quite frankly I don't blame him.

My point is, Rome wasn't built in a day. The Jets currently have so little in the talent department. OL and WR were both DIRE needs. Douglas revamping the OL in the off-season should have been priority one. WR will get fixed in due time. He did draft Denzel Mims. Adding Perriman through FA was a game attempt at plugging a roster hole.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
I really appreciate the thorough evaluation not just from you but from everybody that posted....

Robbie Anderson, to be quite honest with you, must have a brain the size of a pea. In the end, it would have been worthwhile resigning him but not at the amount he got from Carolina. He had a few rubs with the law and for a while it appeared as though the Jets needed to rid themselves of a problem child. Telling a cop he was going to nut in his wife's eyes is a VERY disrespectful thing to say to an officer of the law. All told, he managed to mend his ways and became a good soldier but for the most part everyone believed he should be resigned but ONLY at the right price. I've also always worried about his durability. His frame is so frail I keep thinking he's one major hit away from being out of football.

So, despite what all of you had to say, I think I'm good with the Jets signing Perriman as a lower priced alternative to Anderson? His last 5 games with Tampa were pretty impressive. As though maybe he is just a late bloomer? Like so many here posted, he had elite ability if he ever grows into it, starts to utilize it.

The Jets are one of the very worst run organizations in football. Up until the hiring of Joe Douglas, the Jets have been nothing short of HORRID when it comes to drafting. You simply cannot build any sort of positive momentum in rebuilding when you might hit on a decent player, every 3 or 4 years.

Joe Douglas is an unproven commodity. The jury is still out on him. However, I love his pedigree. From an outsiders perspective, he came from the RAVENS - a model franchise for NFL success. The Ravens have spent the last 25 or so years being excellent drafters. Ozzie Newsome, IMO, is the very best GM I've ever seen. It seems to be continuing with Erik Decosta? The Jets tried to lure Decosta from the RAVENS back in 2015. He refused the opportunity and quite frankly I don't blame him.

My point is, Rome wasn't built in a day. The Jets currently have so little in the talent department. OL and WR were both DIRE needs. Douglas revamping the OL in the off-season should have been priority one. WR will get fixed in due time. He did draft Denzel Mims. Adding Perriman through FA was a game attempt at plugging a roster hole.
I feel like the jets have no direction. Adam gase at coach, potential franchise qb on a rookie deal, and shipping off win now pieces and drafting developmental guys. Mekhi becton to me felt like the most reckless move possible. I don’t think signing perriman for cheap to replace Anderson was a bad move, I don’t think he’s gonna become much more than what he already is though, just giving my perspective after watching him for 2 seasons and a preseason

Grim

Ravens Ring of Honor
I feel like the jets have no direction. Adam gase at coach, potential franchise qb on a rookie deal, and shipping off win now pieces and drafting developmental guys. Mekhi becton to me felt like the most reckless move possible. I don’t think signing perriman for cheap to replace Anderson was a bad move, I don’t think he’s gonna become much more than what he already is though, just giving my perspective after watching him for 2 seasons and a preseason
Breshad may be homeless Robbie Anderson on the field but he is #blessed and that’s important too.

Mainejet

Practice Squad

Before last season, I would have wholeheartedly agreed with you. Mike Macagnan was the very WORST GM since JOHN IDZIK LOL. Macagnan, besides having the presence of mind to take the BPA in the 1st round, was a brutal DISASTER drafting in any other round. In 2016, he took a fucking 220 pound LB Darron Lee. A little twerp with an arrogance problem. Christian Hackenberg in the 2nd? My god he was so bad that the Jets cut him without him ever taking a regular season snap. I could go on and on, but you get the point? A GM gives a not very good HC shit to work with in the talent department and you always end up going 5-11, 4-12. Todd Bowles was NOT a good HC but in his defense he had NOTHING to work with.

Joe Douglas cut his teeth for 16 years under Ozzie and I can't think of a better way to break into the business of GM. He arrived in May of last year, AFTER Macagnan had already made the draft choices so his hands were ultimately tied for last season. Still, he made in season acquisitions of guys like Ryan Griffin and Demaryius Thomas, Alex Lewis. These guys all turned out to be decent players. Not great but certainly better than the garbage Mac would get.

Mechi Becton, despite being the most raw OL of the top candidates clearly has the best size and up side of all the OL in the last draft. I love it but we'll have to see how it works out. As much as I loved Jamal Adams, he was a malcontent. He was setting a very poor example and his attitude was poisoning the locker room. JD had no choice but to trade him. No one could possibly be dissatisfied with what Douglas got for Jamal. However, it will only be a good trade IF Douglas knows how to draft TALENT. As I've already said, what's killing the Jets EVERY year is their inability to draft.

This season is a referendum on Adam Gase. I'm confident the defense is in great hands, Greg Williams is an excellent defensive coordinator. I'm confident the Special teams are in good hands. Brant Boyer is an excellent ST coordinator. The only thing that's never been anything but horrid as far back as Rex taking the Jets to the AFC championship has been the offense. It is TERRIBLE. Adam Gase was hired specifically because of his offensive prowess and his resume of having worked with Peyton Manning with the Broncos. However, since becoming a HC he's done nothing to improve offense whether it be the Dolphins or the Jets. I can see Douglas firing Gase after this season if the offense doesn't get better.

All in all, my belief currently is Douglas is finally providing talented young players for the roster and he has a good plan for overhauling the team.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
Before last season, I would have wholeheartedly agreed with you. Mike Macagnan was the very WORST GM since JOHN IDZIK LOL. Macagnan, besides having the presence of mind to take the BPA in the 1st round, was a brutal DISASTER drafting in any other round. In 2016, he took a fucking 220 pound LB Darron Lee. A little twerp with an arrogance problem. Christian Hackenberg in the 2nd? My god he was so bad that the Jets cut him without him ever taking a regular season snap. I could go on and on, but you get the point? A GM gives a not very good HC shit to work with in the talent department and you always end up going 5-11, 4-12. Todd Bowles was NOT a good HC but in his defense he had NOTHING to work with.

Joe Douglas cut his teeth for 16 years under Ozzie and I can't think of a better way to break into the business of GM. He arrived in May of last year, AFTER Macagnan had already made the draft choices so his hands were ultimately tied for last season. Still, he made in season acquisitions of guys like Ryan Griffin and Demaryius Thomas, Alex Lewis. These guys all turned out to be decent players. Not great but certainly better than the garbage Mac would get.

Mechi Becton, despite being the most raw OL of the top candidates clearly has the best size and up side of all the OL in the last draft. I love it but we'll have to see how it works out. As much as I loved Jamal Adams, he was a malcontent. He was setting a very poor example and his attitude was poisoning the locker room. JD had no choice but to trade him. No one could possibly be dissatisfied with what Douglas got for Jamal. However, it will only be a good trade IF Douglas knows how to draft TALENT. As I've already said, what's killing the Jets EVERY year is their inability to draft.

This season is a referendum on Adam Gase. I'm confident the defense is in great hands, Greg Williams is an excellent defensive coordinator. I'm confident the Special teams are in good hands. Brant Boyer is an excellent ST coordinator. The only thing that's never been anything but horrid as far back as Rex taking the Jets to the AFC championship has been the offense. It is TERRIBLE. Adam Gase was hired specifically because of his offensive prowess and his resume of having worked with Peyton Manning with the Broncos. However, since becoming a HC he's done nothing to improve offense whether it be the Dolphins or the Jets. I can see Douglas firing Gase after this season if the offense doesn't get better.

All in all, my belief currently is Douglas is finally providing talented young players for the roster and he has a good plan for overhauling the team.
You’re liking the direction Douglas is going, I just respectfully don’t like it lol but if it works out I’ll own up to it. I thought the big money on bell and mosley was extremely reckless, literally not one ravens fan saw what mosley got paid and wished we matched it, were all mosley fans but we also know he had limitations and an injury history and just being a ILB makes it hard to justify 17m per year, and then the bell contract was questionable as well, and it’s just not a direction I would’ve went, and in such a strong tackle class it felt like the worst possible option to take the guy who might end up the best of all the tackles but is also a long shot to realize half of his potential. Also

I do like darnold though and I think with the right surrounding cast he’s gonna be good, also loved the jets 2020 draft outside of becton. Mims was a hot prospect around here, ashtyn davis was very underdrafted, and Zuniga is very promising as well. I think if the jets can get away from the reckless and risky moves both in FA and the draft then they’ll begin building something.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
You’re liking the direction Douglas is going, I just respectfully don’t like it lol but if it works out I’ll own up to it. I thought the big money on bell and mosley was extremely reckless, literally not one ravens fan saw what mosley got paid and wished we matched it, were all mosley fans but we also know he had limitations and an injury history and just being a ILB makes it hard to justify 17m per year, and then the bell contract was questionable as well, and it’s just not a direction I would’ve went, and in such a strong tackle class it felt like the worst possible option to take the guy who might end up the best of all the tackles but is also a long shot to realize half of his potential. Also

I do like darnold though and I think with the right surrounding cast he’s gonna be good, also loved the jets 2020 draft outside of becton. Mims was a hot prospect around here, ashtyn davis was very underdrafted, and Zuniga is very promising as well. I think if the jets can get away from the reckless and risky moves both in FA and the draft then they’ll begin building something.

Tbf to Douglas he didn’t sign Mosley or bell last year - he only became GM in June after free agency and the draft were over - this year has been douglas’s first chance to put a stamp on the roster

that being said I’m amazed he didn’t can Adam gase straight away - that dude is just treading water til he gets fired

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
Tbf to Douglas he didn’t sign Mosley or bell last year - he only became GM in June after free agency and the draft were over - this year has been douglas’s first chance to put a stamp on the roster

that being said I’m amazed he didn’t can Adam gase straight away - that dude is just treading water til he gets fired
Shit I actually recall that now that you mention it lol. Didn’t the last gm get fired because he signed bell to a mega deal when gase didn’t want him or something?

Mainejet

Practice Squad

CJ Moseley was signed by Mike Macagnan as a means of moving on from Darron Lee. So Mac drafted a SOFT little twerp and paid him for 3 seasons. Then, after he realized Lee was a soft, little twerp, he decided to fix the issue by WAY overpaying Mosley. Are you starting to understand now? Are you catching my drift? Mac had NO business EVER being a GM and I'd be very surprised if he ever got another GM job. Now, JD has been forced to unfuck all of Mac's mistakes and build the team. I could also mention all kinds of wrong with the Leveon Bell contract, but you should be understanding now. JD was very wise to ask for a 6 year contract. The Jets are fucked on so many levels, it's going to take a while for Douglas to fix the Jets if he's capable.

Mainejet

Practice Squad

I also disagree with this? Listen, I'm no Gase fan, just being objective about the situation. GASe guided the very LEAST talented roster in football last season to a 7-9 record. That leaps and bounds better than anything Toilet Bowles did if the GM wasn't spending money like a drunken sailor. Douglas didn't hire Gase, the owner did. After a season like that it's incumbent upon you to give Gase another season or else you look like an egomaniacal control freak. This season is a referendum on Adam Gase HC. Every Jets fan knows that. Given the Jamal Adams trade, I'm not thinking the Jets are any better than a 5 or 6 win team. But if the offense doesn't show a marked improvement this season, Gase will be gone and more than likely Greg Williams will be elevated to HC.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I also disagree with this? Listen, I'm no Gase fan, just being objective about the situation. GASe guided the very LEAST talented roster in football last season to a 7-9 record. That leaps and bounds better than anything Toilet Bowles did if the GM wasn't spending money like a drunken sailor. Douglas didn't hire Gase, the owner did. After a season like that it's incumbent upon you to give Gase another season or else you look like an egomaniacal control freak. This season is a referendum on Adam Gase HC. Every Jets fan knows that. Given the Jamal Adams trade, I'm not thinking the Jets are any better than a 5 or 6 win team. But if the offense doesn't show a marked improvement this season, Gase will be gone and more than likely Greg Williams will be elevated to HC.

ive just not seen anything from Gase's career that suggests to me he should have been hired in the first place - he rode Peyton Manning's coat-tails to the chicago head coach job and did nothing there and then fell into the jets HC job despite showing zero success in his prior stop

Mainejet

Practice Squad
Shit I actually recall that now that you mention it lol. Didn’t the last gm get fired because he signed bell to a mega deal when gase didn’t want him or something?

Well, no one knows for sure but that was speculation the media. But it even goes deeper..... WHY do you spend 14 million per on a RB and put the very WORST OL in front of him? I mean honestly that's like dressing up caviar (Bell) on a plate with hairy dog shit as garnish (OL). It simply was NOT working, in any form or fashion, with Mac. He should have been fired after 2016.

Mainejet

Practice Squad
ive just not seen anything from Gase's career that suggests to me he should have been hired in the first place - he rode Peyton Manning's coat-tails to the chicago head coach job and did nothing there and then fell into the jets HC job despite showing zero success in his prior stop

Gase was never HC of the Bears. He coached the Dolphins for 3 seasons prior to Woody hiring him.

Status
Not open for further replies.