• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Week 3 Discussion (Other Teams)

29BmoreBird22

Staff Member
Writer
It was widely panned by the analysts, so I can understand that. I definitely found the aforementioned aspect of the selection to be interesting. As far as actually criticizing, I typically err on the side of caution when I haven't done the homework. I recall Mike Mayock stating that Mike Mitchell was a laughable reach for the Raiders in 2009, as he had a 7th round grade on the former 2nd rounder, I initially bought into the opinion in my mind off of that comment. Meanwhile, Mitchell has been able to carve out a decent career for himself, so it's difficult to fully buy into the assessments of even the analysts whom we commonly listen to.
I don't think I ever didn't expect Frederick to be great. I always thought he would be.

But at the same time, I felt they could have gotten another first rounder and him in the second or third.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
If there's contact the whistle gets blown.

Also what about that spteams player getting the ball knocked out at the 1 yd line. Istill cant believe this stuff still happens smh.
That was worse than the deshaun Jackson play from many years ago. Atleast he thought he had crossed the end zone.

Truth

Staff Member
Administrator
I don't think I ever didn't expect Frederick to be great. I always thought he would be.

But at the same time, I felt they could have gotten another first rounder and him in the second or third.
That's fair. To your point, even going by their own leaked big board, they had Frederick pegged as a 2nd round prospect. And I'm with you, you have to balance your rankings with the general consensus if you're going to maximize the value of each selection. You could think that a player projected in the 7th has 3rd round talent, but that doesn't mean that you immediately take them in the 3rd. Not that it can't work out, i.e. John Brown. But it means that you can sometimes risk waiting another round. That said, I at least do get why they took him there. Sometimes, you see a player on tape and he pops so much, you assume that at least one other team is coming away with the same thoughts and you reach to avoid losing via reach.